Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It's not that the first season is bad. It's merely average. The ending begins to show some of what the show eventually becomes later on. It gets pretty darn epic down the road. The pattern is a bit similar to Babylon 5 in that way, actually.

My only real criticism is its occasional over-reliance on toilet humor.

Yeah, it's worth a blind buy.

2. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

Thanks. Now I will have to fight the "insane last minute gift shopper crowd" tomorrow. :nyah::nyah::nyah::nyah:

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Why not watch the first season though. I loved the first season, because it set the building blocks to the show and introduced the characters. I know I'm biased, but yes, it's worth a blind buy.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I loved the series but wasn't spending the ridiculous amounts they wanted previously wanted for the sets. The A&E box set is certainly attractive but now I have concens of it being shown on a 47" HDTV. Does anyone else have a HDTV setup - and if so, how does it look on screen?

5. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I can't comment on the new A&E box set, but the Starburst DVDs look just fine when upscaled and viewed on my 46" LCD (viewing distance is about 8').

6. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched the first season again for the first time in a decade (Christ, I'm old) and I was really impressed with it. It dives a little in the middle but overall there are a lot of clever and fun episodes in there, and it was a nice reminder that shows can be great without a story arc.

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Thank you, I think I'll take the plunge.

8. omegaone

omegaone Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Any word on if this set is coming out in Australia? and any blu ray news?

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm watching the A&E set on a 42" HDTV. It's obviously not going to be nearly as sharp as a Blu-ray or even a TV show filmed with HD in mind, but it's very watchable. The first couple episodes are a little weak, especially "Premiere" (no surprise since it was the pilot), but the quality gets better a few episodes into season one. I haven't gotten to season two yet, but I imagine that with the better budget and effects, it will look much better.

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in season two myself... Looks pretty good on a 50" 720p screen. I was expecting worse to be honest. It's not like trying to watch Babylon 5 effects shots or anything :lol:

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This thread motivated me to watch "A Clockwork Nebari" last night...which accidentally turned into a huge marathon. I watched all the way through "Self-Inflicted Wounds." Then it was 5am, and I was sad, so I went to bed.

12. tomalak301

You get to that part of the series where yes that happens, even though I don't know if I can do all that. Did do Liars Guns and Money up through Season of Death though. That was fun.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's been a while since I've watched that chunk of episodes all together. When I'm in a Farscape mood, I usually just put in "The Peacekeeper Wars."

I watched the next batch tonight, up through "Losing Time."

I've owned the DVDs ever since the original ADV release, so I've watched this show at least a dozen times all the way through. I'm pretty much an expert and can quote almost every episode word-for-word. It's a little hard to find the magic these days.

14. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have now watched all the way through season 3. Im still impressed what they were able to do with a small budget. Once I get towards the end of season 4 it will be new territory for me. I had to stop watching before the last seven episodes air. I had fallen asleep during two episodes that season and didnt want to continue watching since it was so arc based by that time. At the time I was working crazy hours and still in school and didnt catch reruns and watching stuff online was very hard back than. Sadly reruns werent shown much these last six years and I have waited patiently for cheap dvds.:lol:

So there are about 7 eps and the Peace Keeper wars that are still new to me.:techman:(though I do know a couple of tidbits from spoiler happy jerks.:() But not enough to ruin the experience for me.

15. tomalak301

^Have fun. So glad when I bought the sets, it came with PK Wars as the bonus exclusive. Made that $74 (Tax included) all the more better.

16. tomalak301

I think I know what my problem with Season 3 is, and why I seem to be in a minority in thinking Season 2 was the show's best season. Season 3 introduced Jool. God I forgot how annoying she was and how annoying some of those first few episodes of the season were. Now I just finished Thanks for Sharing and the crews have split off and things are now going to get really really great. It's just why did they have to introduce annoying characters like Jool and Granny as the series finished up.

It's really great rewatching these episodes though. Like I said, just finished Thanks for Sharing and while it was set up, it did more than that. It gave the season direction with some great developments and stuff like that. Next up is the Ben Browder Penned one, which I remember really liking.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Jool and Granny never bothered me. I was actually rather upset when Jool left in Season 4. Granny was kind of weird at first, but in the final stretch of the show I think she really became an awesome, valuable character.

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jool and Granny were annoying, but I liked Sikozu. Go figure.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  19. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Agree.

I liked her going Kat-Rat-Zee in that s4.

I hated the retcon of sikozu in PKW. Oh well...

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That does come out of nowhere, and I wish we could have seen the original story where that didn't happen, but oh well. You just have to remember that 2 months pass between "Bad Timing" and "Peacekeeper Wars," and in that time the Scarrens must have offered Sikozu a pretty sweet deal to make her change loyalties. Sikozu has never exactly been a team player. If a better-sounding offer comes along (like the Scarrens promising to free her people), she's naive enough to take it.