Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Taylirious, Mar 8, 2013.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's pretty much it from what I can see.

She's talented and beautiful but she spends all her time whining (in song) about how she can't find the right guy.

At some point, the world is going to say:
    "well, then, stop dating jerks"; and/or
    "maybe you're the problem, honey."

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Someone has already said that...

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Usually what Swift gets up to holds no interest to me, but it does seem a bit over the top to suggest that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are going to hell for making a joke about you at a Hollywood Award show. Though I did enjoy Poehler's reply.

4. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think there are plenty of celebs to trash and do so much worse, 'Red' was another hit for her so if her next album bombs, which I doubt will the negative attention stop? I find the hate from random people and the negative media obsession now ridiculous. :shrug:

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Michael Jackson had none of that when he was 23. And finding artists lacking because they're not as memorable as Michael Jackson sounds like you're setting the bar pretty high.

6. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aren't you being a bit too harsh? I'm no Taylor Swift fan, and I'm as sick of her dissing ex-boyfriends through song routine as anyone. But not every singer has to use songs as a means of making social commentary on life and the world.

There is nothing wrong with writing "frivolous" songs and making millions as a result. That's her thing, you don't have to like it, I really don't care for most of her songs myself. But I don't think being famous means she has to have a profound message in her songs because really, who the hell cares? Most of the time, these songs are just something playing on the radio when I'm in the car or I watch the music video channel when I'm unbelievably bored. Not exactly the time when I'm seeking enlightenment over anything.

I do agree she should find a better means of dealing with her relationship issues than wrting songs slamming her ex-boyfriends, but that's neither here nor there.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't think I've ever actually heard any of her music, nor especially care to, but I do think she's VERY beautiful, so I have a few nice pictures of her in my "babes" screensaver file. That's pretty much the extent of my caring. :)

9. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd agree with this. Up-thread someone argued that at least she's not the Kardashians. I'd also agree with that, but part of me thinks that there's a whole "middle" wherein Swift doesn't measure up.

10. Taylirious

James Taylor

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

James Taylor Swift

I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
    But I - always - always - always - thought that I'd see you again

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

for me, she is exactly 'meh'. not a terrible artist, but not a great one either.

13. HaventGotALife

Then let's move to someone who has been as successful as Swift was at a younger age, Mariah Carey. All before the age of 23.

"Make it Happen"
    "Hero"
    "Anytime You Need A Friend"

Not her biggest hits, but talking about something more than "Vision(s) of Love" or "Emotions." (EDIT) And the bar moves when you are as popular as she is. I think it reflects poorly on our culture that we reward this as pop music. She's a forgettable artist in my book.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

She is pretty bland, but she's rather young, she can make hummable songs and write decent lyrics, plus she covered that Eminem song, so she's alright in my book.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't understand the seething hatred she seems to illicit in some, either. I'm not a die hard fan certainly, but I've got one of her albums in my iTunes library and like it just fine.

Sometimes I will see people though bitching and moaning about her on Facebook, and my general response is "Why?" If she's so terrible, why bother listening to her? I'd be much more sympathetic if people would spend their energy boasting about music they do like or that they do enjoy and want to share, as opposed to the artist or music they can't stand.

You know what I can't stand? Okra. But you don't see me going everywhere complaining about it. I don't particularly like Grey's Anatomy, either, but it's in my interest (career-wise) to stay informed on that show and what's going on with the characters from week week. Do I go into the Grey's episode review threads and complain about how its sometimes just a show about doctors having sex with each other? No.

In conclusion, if you must hate on Taylor (or others like her) swell. I'd just rather not hear about it.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In other words, at 23, Carey was a hot chick with a great voice who wrote and sang disposable, if very pleasant, pop songs.

Just like Swift is today.

17. HaventGotALife

Swift has a great voice? When did that happen?

18. Taylirious

:bolian: I don't know why people go out their way to bash her, seems like a waste of energy. :shrug:

19. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, people waste too mich energy on their pop culture pet peeves. But the difference between an artist you don't like and okra is that okra is never part of your mental landscape - especially if that artist defines an era, or partially defines an era. In other words, you eat okra or you don't okra. Nobody is throwing okra at you in the mall and demanding you open your mouth. Swift is unavoidable right now, and the "Never gettin backk togeddir" song is like someone jabbing a gerbil in my ear.

20. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys have to be kidding. Michael Jackson was an international star at age 13. He produced the biggest selling album of all time at around 24 years of age.

Comparing his career to Mariah Carey's or Taylor Swift's is unfair, to Swift and Carey. You need to find someone else for a comparison.