Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

So what would be a plausible release schedule for TNG, ENT, and other rumored Blu-rays?

2. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

You could well be right, but he also could have meant that the decision to put Enterprise on Blu was old news internally. What could be coming up that directly affects him, and thus be part of the 'hostage crisis', could be work on the documentaries for Enterprise.

And now, his latest tweet: "There's certainly a lot of HD STAR TREK happening all up in this joint. I mean...more than usual."

You know, if he doesn't know about it already, he would get a kick of how much we're dissecting his off-hand tweets in here. :lol:

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Who knows, maybe they decided to start on DS9 early.

You know, the old "strike while the iron is hot".

4. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I find that unlikely. Remember they have struggled with the immense workload of remastering TNG, so much so that they had to give the even numbered seasons to an out of house company. Doesn't make sense they would start work on DS9 in a situation like that. At least not unless they massively increase the amount of people they employ.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Agreed, but even though quality can very, the series as a whole is considered a "classic" now so any decent episode could be called that.:techman:

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The project(s) will last years, cost many man hours, and when the do the other series, the whole endeavor will be truly epic in proportions...I don't see them operating 3 or even 4 restoration teams concurrently though.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Unless his cryptic tweet was referring to an announcement that besides Enterprise, the Animated Series will hit Blu-Ray---it was Remastered in HD for it's DVD release in 2006. So that's another Trek show that could be popped onto Blu-Ray with no trouble.

8. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And we already had a TAS HD sample on Star Trek TOS season 2 and it looked great.

9. SNogueira

SNogueira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What about new versions for the movies? Maybe ST-TMP (Director's Cut) and STII-TWOK (Director's Cut)? It could involve Burnett for VAM, but not necessarily involve CBS's overworked staff working on TNG...

Although I would love to see DS9 ASAP, and I guess CBS perceived the BDs will make some money and then they may want to run before the BD age ends, and they loose the opportunity to rip us off with it before streaming becomes the norm, I don't see them remastering so much stuff in so little time. Even the choice of Enterprise shows they want to release the stuff that is ready, to make a buck without spending as much as a full restoration from uncut negatives.

So, my 2 cents are on the movies... maybe we'll get Robert Wise's vision in HD, at last!

10. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

The 2009 movie DVDs are sped up, the BDs are not. The same goes for XI.

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The movies are controlled by Paramount---not CBS, so if anything is done too the movies it would be Paramount calling the shots.

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

It's not too outlandish. They obviously shared footage for the TNG Blu Rays. I'm not saying this is the case, but a profit sharing agreement where say CBS-D does all the work and Paramount just sits back and twiddles its thumbs and say gets 30% of the profit from the remastered movie sales for doing nothing could conceivably work on paper.

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

CBS-D really need to approach Paramount to remake the movies. Surely Paramount would not turn them down when they smell $$$.

The bluray of the movies that Paramount did was a very very poor effort. Many of the movies have been put through a digital filter that makes them look awful. All the grain (and therefore the detail) has been scrubbed and the crew look like waxworks.

Now what Paramount should do is go back to the original uncut negative and the original VFX elements and remake the movies the same way CBS have remade TNG. Imagine scenes like the Enterprise/Shuttlepod scene from TMP when recomposited using 2012 tech. It would look incredible. Get it done Paramount.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I prefer less grain, call me crazy.

RAMA

15. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

You can always filter it out by yourself if you are desprate to do so. However, the rest of us can't restore detail that has already been erased. The TOS movie blu rays are a bit of an atrocity, especially when compared to what CBS is doing with the remastering.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Read some reviews online over the last year, and generally speaking, the blurays get quite a bit of praise, only a very small percentage dislike the noise reduction. Most agree the blurays are the best presentation of the movies ever.

Having said that, I don't own a single one of the old movies on bluray. :lol: I will have to check it out myself.

RAMA

17. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I think they are fine the way they are, except for the colour change in TWOK. But the best thing about them is that they do not contain any reworked FX ... I really do hope that the extended cuts (especially TMP SLV) are going to make it to BD soon!

18. SNogueira

SNogueira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes, but as I understand it, Burnett is not an employee from CBS. He was hired to produce VAM for TNG-R. Paramount could have a look at his brilliant work and ask him: "Hey, we're redoing the movies. Would you like a piece of the action?"

I didn't want to imply CBS-D was working on this. Burnett surely is, as his tweets suggest.

19. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

No wayyyy

I promise not to post anymore about the movies after this as I am derailing the thread, but perhaps it is relevant to TNG because thankfully they left the grain alone :) The movie blurays are utter pants. The detail is in the grain! Removing and smoothing the grain away reduces the detail and ruins the picture quality.

This is what happens when you remove the grain Spock OMG!

Now that is the most extreme example in the entire set but it shows how much Paramount ruined the picture so they could make the set as cheaply as they possibly could. Meanwhile a few miles away CBS invest tens of millions of dollars putting an entire tv show through post production, they are totally showing Paramount up. Thank god CBS got involved with Trek because if it was still down to Paramount we would be getting upscaled TNG HD blu-rays right now.

20. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I have to agree, when I see fine consistent grain..it makes me happy.

I think most of the folks that dog on the movie releases on BD have really big screens. On a 50 inch plasma they all look good.