Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The advance buzz I've seen on this pilot was that it was totally crazy and over-the-top ridiculous but in a totally fun and watchable way. And I'm inclined to agree. They crammed a ton of bizarre ideas and backstory into this with admirable efficiency, and somehow it kinda works. In particular, Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie are very appealing leads with good chemistry. I'm not a huge fan of this genre -- or rather, of several of the genres this is a mash-up of -- but it's still fun and I think I'll stick around.

My main disappointment is that Clancy Brown and John Cho were only around so briefly. And I think a lot of Cho's material was cut. It wasn't clear why he arrested Crane -- it seems like a bit about Abby describing the killer as wearing old clothes or something must've been cut -- and at the climax he suddenly evinced a romantic interest in Abby that hadn't been hinted at before as far as I saw.

2. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a pilot, so I'll cut them some slack on missing pieces, but it's throwing a lot out there right off the bat. I'll give it a few weeks, but if it follows a Lost-like format of more mysteries on top of old mysteries, I may have to re-examine it.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Damn! Love this show! Good fish out of water scenes without overdoing it, funny in-jokes and compelling characters. Definitely a keeper...

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The show is awesome! Sure they threw a lot out there, but it makes sense. They have to stop the demons and such to stop the four horseman from coming back. It seems like a Supernatural that I can have fun watching. Really enjoyed the hell out of it.

There is mystery, but I don't think it's as bad as LOST.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Lots of potential. Disappointed at the stunt casting. Would have rather had Brown and Cho around a bit longer.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. I didn't see any 'romantic' aspect at the end at all. I think all he really said was that he told her to stay away from Crane. I did ask my wife why they arrested him since it really wasn't clear as you say.

The promo for the season looked very interesting. That kind of staggered jump-cut type dealio with the beast and the mirror was pretty creepy.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched the show, and this thing is seriously the coolest thing I've seen on TV since the premiere of Once Upon a Time.

Orci and Kurtzman have channeled their inner Tim Burton and mashed together his takes on Dark Shadows and Sleepy Hollow to create a dramatic thrill ride that has the potential to be on the air for a very long time if FOX gives it the support it deserves.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's not just Orci and Kurtzman. I noticed that Len Wiseman (of Underworld fame) was listed among the creators/producers--and also directed the pilot.

(By coincidence, Syfy was rerunning Underworld: Evolution, also directed by Wiseman, at the same time!)

Did anyone else notice that they've basically mashed together two Washington Irving stories: Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might have to check this out On Demand, sounds like it must be better than I was expecting.

10. Greg Cox

I believe they're rerunning the pilot on Friday as well.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I only caught the last half of this, mostly because I figured "why not give it a shot?" I enjoyed it for the most part, but didn't *really* get into it until the last 5 minutes - the jump-cut mirror-demon thing was very creepy and effective.

12. DigificWriter

I knew Wiseman directed the pilot, but somehow missed that he'd helped co-create the show as well... which just makes it even more awesome.

13. Greg Cox

He was listed as a co-creator and producer.

I suppose a guest-spot by Kate Beckinsale is too much to hope for. :)

14. DigificWriter

That would be insanely awesome.

Do we know who the showrunner(s) on the show are, JOOC?

15. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John Cho! Clancy Brown!

Figures.

Liking the show. Understandable there'd have to be some exposition. Like the leads.

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't see much chemistry between the two main actors, Mison and Beharie, but then again this was only the pilot. The preview of upcoming episodes looked exciting.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Fringe had 10 million viewers at 9pm Monday.

Then Fox moved it to Thursdays at 9pm and the ratings dropped 60% in a month. But everyone thinks they gave it a chance because no one remembers how badly they treated it for 4 years.

We shall see...

18. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

It's completely absurd. And actually quite fun.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, I guess the story of Ichabod and the horseman does not exist in-universe.

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Once he said his name and there was no reaction I figure that was that.