DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cat's depiction in Lois and Clark was basically Johns take on her. She was very sexually depicted and appeared to be nothing more than obnoxious and brain dead whom would Steve Lombard would act like an idiot around and try and hit on her lol.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I thought this Cat Grant was very much inline with Smallville Cat. For some odd reason considering the show is over.

3. Admiral_Young

Also I noticed in Teen Titans that they gave Bart his Smallville look.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, Cat in Superman #2 reminded me of the Smallville version.

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Superman #2 has a clever little premise and a decent plot, but that dialogue is indeed clunky and forced. Perez is no Chris Claremont. Supes' monologues weren't too bad, though.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I dunno, Claremont could write some pretty clunky dialog.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman still has me fairly intrigued (almost feels like she's landed in a dark, mythical Hellboy story), but it would be nice to see her interacting more with the real world at some point.

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

That's a common criticism of Claremont, but personally I kind of liked his verbosity. He did like to narrate quite a lot on X-Men and FF, and his characters could get very wordy and sound more like him than themselves, but IMHO he was good at it. Perez's dialogue in Supes #2 feels like he really needs to work on economising it.

I'm liking Wonder Woman so far. But then again, maybe it's just the freedom afforded by the digital format. (In other words, I wouldn't have been caught dead with a physical copy under my arm. The Paul Dini / Alex Ross one-shot from almost 10 years ago (gasp) was the only issue with Wonder Woman in the title that I'd previously bought.) Anyway, Vaughan is a very solid writer and the visual presentation is elegant if not showy, so I'm thinking that on an artistic level this one is more likely to swim than sink.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  9. Trekker4747

Yeah, I got Wonder Woman 2 and I'm feeling unimpressed, it may be a title I stop following. I'd be more interested in it if she was more quickly getting to, as you say, "the real world."

I did like how her "origin story" was told in #2, though.

10. Admiral_Young

Wonder Woman has turned out to be one of my favourite books and I didn't think it would be given the premise and the tone of the book. This is one of Azzerello's best works. The art is pretty good as well. Diana looks great and I love the infusion of Greek Mythology.

11. Trekker4747

The art work in it is very good but the storyline and setting haven't captured me.

12. Nerys Myk

London and Paradise Island? ( plus where ever that girl was living)

13. Admiral_Young

I'm sure that the second arc will be more a traditional adventure based arc. This first arc is about the girl though Diana found and seems to be a plot device really to introduce us to the 52'Verse version and reveal her new origin.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Artwork is a little too simple and barebones for my taste. Jim Lee makes the new costume look sexy as hell, but here that doesn't really come across at all. It looks like she's wearing a thick vest or something.

15. Nerys Myk

16. Trekker4747

Okay, I got Batgirl #1 and #2 and quite enjoyed it. I don't care about the "loss" of Oracle or Barbra Gordon no longer being a paraplegic; while I can understand why that would be a problem for long-time fans, it doesn't bother me greatly.

The Batgirl comic seems like a pretty decent one.

I will say I don't much like BG's roommate right now what with her "Oh, you gave me your name in the typical last-name first, then say the full name manner. So I'm going to call you by that whole thing from now on, or as a initialism because I'm just a loon like that!" Just call her "Barbra", roommate.

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Aw, I like Cliff Chiang's work. He was the only post-Hester/Parks artist who could make Winick's Green Arrow tolerable.

Wonder Woman is my first-ever digital comic, and I enjoyed it. I am trying to convince myself that I cannot afford to also follow Justice League Dark.

18. Nerys Myk

Chiang can do more with a single line than Lee and others can do with a million cross-hatches.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^Thats very true.

My problem isn't that Barbara can walk. I was actually looking forward to it since you had Gail Simone onboard. My problem is that Batgirl is just a badly written comic.

20. Trekker4747

Eh, it didn't seem too badly written to me. BG getting "stage fright" when the gun was pointed at her was kind of interesting as is her internal monologue.

But see my above edit on how her roommate is, that I don't like too much. The rest isn't too bad and the current heavy seems interesting. Sort of like a Bat-Universe version of "Death" in the "Final Destination" movies.