Django Unchained--Tarintino's new project

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, May 7, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was announced that "Django Unchained" will be QT's next project and Christophe Waltz has signed on to play a German dentist turned bounty hunter named Dr. King Schultz. Will Smith has been approached to star as Django. The script leaked online a couple weeks ago if anyone wants to google search it. Brad Pitt, and Leo DiCaprio both turned down roles apparently.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Does...-Smith-To-Star-In-Django-Unchained-24585.html

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'm looking forward to it.

(Quick, someone say how overrated he is!)

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always enjoyed Tarantino's work. Don't really care for him as a personality though, so in that aspect he's overrated as a "celebrity".

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Will Smith as Django? Hasn't QT *seen* Wild Wild West? Keep Smith the hell away from Westerns! (Let's have Bad Boys 3 instead...)

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I wasn't overwhelmed by the idea of Tarantino doing a spaghetti western -- Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds have already encroached pretty far on the genre's territory already -- but with Christoph Waltz onboard it's hard to say no. I'm having trouble seeing Will Smith, but I'd be happy to see what he can do with Tarantino's dialogue.

6. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Western Django, which Tarantino was in, was one of the worst things I've ever seen with my own eyes. And I've seen that picture of the guy that had maggots living in his brain.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Will Smith as Django? Will the race-bending ever end? :devil:

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Apparently the movie will have nothing to do with the Franco Nero Django movies but is named in tribute to them. There is also talk of Nero appearing in this movie but that may be a case of people putting two and two together and coming up with five.

(Apologies if you were being facetious!)

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yeah, Smith would be playing a freed slave.

The title is likely a reference to the other 785 spaghetti westerns that slapped Django in the title in an effort to capitalize on the name.

10. Admiral_Young

If anyone is on facebook...the screenplay's been put up on the fan page for download. I'm currently reading the script at the moment and it's pretty great.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bring in Levar Burton to play Django!

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Will Smith has a very modern feel to him, but Tarantino's casting is quite good (and he tends to direct with a "modern" sensibility), so if he gets cast I'd say it'd be fine.

Waltz reuniting with Tarantino is definitely a plus.

13. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any attempt to bring a new western to the screen is welcome...however,I get the feeling that Tarantino will be focusing on the more violent and baroque sensibilities of the "spaghetti westerns"which personally I find off-putting.

And Will Smith....aw,fuck.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I really can't see Will Smith doing a Tarantino movie - I can't imagine either would be up. Be bad for Will's squeaky-clean family man image and QT doesn't usually cast such big names in his movies (Brad Pitt in Basterds aside).

15. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Forget Will Smith. Tarantino should cast Idris Elba. :)

16. Lonemagpie

Read the (alleged) script - not sure if it's real, but it does feel very right. It starts a bit iffy, but gets very good. I suspect that spaghetti western fans will love it. The other 95% of the audience... I'm not so sure about. If they stick with it past the first half hour or so they should be OK.

Casting-wise, Christophe Waltz should be a good match for King Schultz - actually round about page 52 I started feeling really nostalgic for Lee Van Cleef, it's a good tribute. (Actually, the basic plot owes more to Death Rides A Horse than Django) - as for Django himself, I *can* actually hear Will Smith saying the lines.... but Will Smith of about a decade ago. i think he actually may be a little too old for the role now, as the character's supposed to be in his 20s...

Anyway, I'll bloody love it - it's better than Death Proof, and a bit more epic and less daft than Inglourious Basterds. (both of which I love anyway) - except maybe for the narrator who comes in in the second third, and who's so fucking obviously written to be Morgan Freeman... (the other criticism of I have - aside from the horrific total lack of understanding of apostrophes and how they should work - is that King's explanation of what he does should *really* come after they talk to Marshal Tatum, cos King's last line to him in the first act would be a belter if it came before the job description scene.

17. Admiral_Young

^ It's real. Inglorious Basterds was available on the net prior to production as well. In fact earlier drafts than the shooting draft. This seems to be QT's final draft. I really can't wait for this film. As for not seeing Will Smith in a QT film because of his family man image...I think that's precisely why Quentin wants him for the part.

18. Lonemagpie

I don't actually doubt that for a second - I've long been familiar with QT's unique approach to the use of apostrophes before the copyeditors get hold of his scripts for official publication... But one has a certain CYA impulse in case the producers issue a blanket denial anyway.

Absolutely - however, I think he's too old for the role as written... And I can see him being too strongly percieved as Will Smith rather than Django Freeman, which would hurt the character.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But who the hell is Idris Elba?

20. Lonemagpie

Stringer Bell in The Wire - and also a little too old for the part as written, IMO (Smith's 42, same as me, and Elba's 38 - the character's written as a 20-something, 30 tops.)