Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really only think it'd be an issue if Sharon were identical to Peggy like she is in the comics. Since she more than likely won't be (they appear to be looking for a new actress to play Sharon), I don't see much of a problem.

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

No, they had a romantic connection in the comics too. Sharon reminded him of Peggy when they first met (and he didn't know who she was).

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It was wishful thinking that she might get a dual casting to play Sharon. This was expected news I suppose if not unwelcomed news. Since filming on this starts in the Spring the real casting news on Sharon should pick up around March.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Maybe a bad decision.

The Ultimate version of Cap had some very nice and emotional scenes that reunite Rogers, then old lady Gail (his love back in the 40s) and her husband Bucky Barnes who have aged considerably and can't believe to see Steve Rogers in the flesh as a young man in his prime (especially Gail who's afraid of Steve seeing her as an old woman).

It's was a very good way to show the passage of time and what Cap has lost and could be well adapted for the movie when they delve more into the man out of time aspect with Cap. Ii sure hope they do so.. this was always a defining trait with Cap to show his old fashioned ways sometimes to remind us that not everything from ages past is useless or doesn't have its place in modern times.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been assuming that they saved the Cap and old Peggy scene for TWS. They could always just have an older actress playing the modern day Peggy, rather than Haley Atwell in old age makeup.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

This was put to use best by A League of Their Own. They had older actresses play the characters with the voices dubbed over by the original actresses.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Millar's story didn't involve Steve hooking up with Gail's grandniece/granddaughter/whatever, so I think that's rather different. If you're going to have Steve being romantically interested in Sharon, best to have Peggy quietly passed away beforehand.

Granted, that was technically the case in the 616 comics, but there were a bunch of differences there: storytelling with different (and a lot less concerned with implications) in the 1960s, we met Sharon first there, and Peggy really wasn't an important character. In a movie, having introduced Peggy first and established their lost romance as as a big tragedy, I don't think that would come across very well.

Though, given Millar's storytelling tendencies, I'm sure some gleefully perverse version that story crossed his mind at some point.

9. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I guess now Steve will be meeting Sharon for the first time at Peggy's funeral. Probably that's where the movie will start, thematically picking up right where the first film left off - as close as Steve will ever get to his lost "date."

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Joss Whedon said in an interview that he wrote a scene with Steve and Peggy while writing Avengers, even though he knew that he would never be able to fit it into the film. The scene would have had Steve visiting a 97-year-old Peggy in a Veteran's hospital and would have allowed Steve to go on a patriotic speil about how we treat our veterans. He said that writing that scene, even though he knew it wouldn't be in the movie, was his favorite scene to write in the whole Avengers experience.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

At one stage there was talk that this movie would feature WWII flashbacks. They could still of course have them, just without Peggy; however, I'm inclined to think that this suggests that the flashbacks are looking less likely.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think while fandom still thought/hoped Atwell would be back that those flashbacks would include her. Thus layering the flashbacks with different folks from the first film. Since the Winter Soldier is prominent it stands to reason that to snap him out of it, whatever the "it" will be for the film, flashbacks of him and Steve would still be a likely scenario if nothing else.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They used a cosmic cube in the original story.

14. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I am hoping that in Cap 2 they give him a more... well, less Avengers styled uniform. Honestly something close to the Marvel NOW version of the suit, that looks a bit more like a more modern military light body armor would be nice - like a good mesh of the Cap 1 suit, the Avengers suit and the comics suit.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cap doing some more Covert Ops type stuff - could be interesting to see like Cap doing "good" spy stuff and Bucky doing "bad spy" stuff until somehow he's turned. Although I do wonder if they're going to keep his relationship with Natasha... hmm

15. Captaindemotion

That makes sense.

16. Captaindemotion

17. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Toby Jones says he's returning as Arnim Zola.

SuperheroHype

No word yet on the context of Zola's presence in the movie, whether in the present or a flashback, robot body or not.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have they said for sure if there will be flashbacks? I would think there were flashbacks would have heard about more returning cast members.

19. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I am a comic novice, but given the premise, would a few flashbacks not be necessary?

Unless Bucky never snaps out of it amd Capt. kills him.

20. Captaindemotion

My guess is that Jones' character was involved in transforming Bucky into the Winter Soldier and that the flashbacks will show this.