Superman costume to appear on SMALLVILLE after all

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hoho.

Sorry for the curt tones, but I still think I got it.

I've worn a cape now and then and I felt fancy.

And a little sorry for every one else who didn't have a cape.

But I wouldn't do it every day.

Although being the only person in the room wearing a cape isn't half as odd as being stuck in a room with another bloke also wearing cape.

Not a cool club.

That in relation to time?

Did you see the American Century?

(Something the media called it constantly.)

Also commonly referred to as the 20th century.

A new America for a new Century?

Then of course alternatively Gaith could have been talking about post Bush America?

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    You are not making yourself clear.
    None of that explains factualy how a cape on Superman=American Arrogance.
    I get that you, personally, feel a certain way but that isn't an explanation on Superman.

I will just ignore any further comments from you on this as you don't have the proxy for Gaith and frankly just make his case more silly.

I await Gaith to explain him/herself.

3. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Here is how that episode will go: Clark and Louis are investigating something at a Comic-Con like convention and they see a bunch of nerdy wanna be "red/blue" blur fans and one will have a "homemade" suit that will look suspiciously like Superman's suit.

4. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

It amazes me after reading the past four pages that with so many people interested in Superman that WB can't get it right for the fans. You would almost think WB is purposely f**king up Superman so when Shuster and Seigel's families get the rights back in 2013 Superman will be worthless.

5. Guy Gardener

You sound like you're wearing a cape.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. I've never been so wanted online! :rommie:

To me, "the cape" does not "equal" American arrogance. It's a bit more subtle.

Superman represents America. Everyone knows that Superman has godlike powers. The cape serves no purpose beyond reminding us of this fact.

We Americans (and I love my country) are all to often prone to arrogance, and equating our unequaled power with our dubiously unequaled greatness.

If it sounds as though I'm making a biased anti-cape statement, it's because I am biased. Superman/CK is not a god, and shouldn't act like one. Hence, he should drop the cape, imho.

I won't drag out the political parallels... beyond noting that we shouldn't elect presidents who appoint UN ambassadors who say that the headquarters building could lose ten floors and no one'd know.

But the political analogy is, in the end, superfluous. Superman doesn't need a cape any more than Clark needs a fedora. The character can outlive both fashion accessories. :techman:

7. Guy Gardener

Have you read that Alex Ross two part prestige series about Uncle Sam? A figure who's every atom is literally a mirrored representation of the current climate and ethos of America?

Grim.

8. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

You actually think that Ward doing that is an encouragement for Welling to don the suit?

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:
    :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lots of Smallville news from the panel this morning....five thousand people crammed the room, Jeph Loeb hosted the panel, the trailer showed a type of Superman costume that looked like Clark was wearing a cloak and a dark blue S on his chest but according to the description on newsarama it was dark and not clearly shown. There were the text KNEEL BEFORE ZOD someone asked a question about a score soundtrack (YES! hope we get one) to which Brandon Peterson answered we have never thought about that we will think about that (or words to that affect) Tom is indeed a new co-exec producer and Kelly Sounders said an excellent addition to their team heh. Maybe the biggest news from the panel is that Geoff Johns was introduced and will be writing an episode called "Society" featuring the Justice Society!!!! No movie news and no costume reveal.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

No pics yet?

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

When you say to remove the cape would show humility what then would the converse be if not arrogance?

Superman has come to embody Americanism, true.
    Superman has godlike powers, true.
    This is my disconnect: How does the cape remind one of a)Americanism specifically b)godlike powers?

I see a cape, cloth. Its red with that legendary "s" shield, nothing reminds me of those two points.

In all fairness Germans are proud people. The French are boastful. The British are equally proud. The Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish are all very proud people to the point of arrogance at times also. Arrogance is not a uniquely American problem.

If a cape shows arrogance and a godlike disposition does it hold for other cape wearers? Is Zorro arrogant? Godlike? His cape serves 'no purpose'. What about Supergirl, Powergirl, Huntress, Sentry, Storm etc or are you going to tell me the cape is only an issue on Superman?

Remember I agree Superman as a whole represents American ideals.
    You however orginally and specifically isolated the cape as the issue.

If it weren't for so much US money the UN would be impotent but lets not digress. Afterall I don't think we should've elected a President who's never managed or governed anything in his life...which is becoming painfully obvious but lets stay on topic.
    The cape.

Maybe the cape served a purpose originally, back when Supes could only leap tall buildings. Perhaps it was used as a glider and now is kept for the tradition of it all. Sill, its just a cape.
    Why did you say fedora, glasses would've made sense there?
    Thank you for responding.

12. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who's Louis?

13. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cape reminds us of Superman being a superhero, whose costumes are always different from what the average person wears.

Superman is not a god, but he is SUPERMAN, and Superman has a cape. He always has.

Comparing the cape to Clark in a hat doesn't fly, no pun intended.

Clark's always been seen with and without the hat. Superman's always been seen with the cape, unless he took it off for some reason.

Superman's costume has a cape, and that's how it should ALWAYS be depicted.

If you can't see that, then I suspect you're not as much a fan of Kal-El as you believe. I'd suspect you're a "passive" fan, where Superman is an occasional tasty flavor you try once in a great while.

Your claim that he can as easily be depicted without a cape is like saying Batman can be. Those two characters have capes. It sets them apart as do all superheroes' costumes...with or without cape. In those two cases, tho', they've always had capes...and I dare say always will.

DC/Warner would be INSANE to depict an onscreen Superman whose costume has no cape. (At least, as a permanent situation.) The fans would never let them get away with it.

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Sounds like its a picture of Clark in Kryptonian robes. Actually could it be Jor-El, Welling played him too?

So can I ask why anyone would believe those rumors were true? Even for a second???

That old saying -
    "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"

Seems very descriptive of the relationship between the creators of Smallville and its fans.

15. Guy Gardener

Really?

I thought it went like this?

But maybe this update relates to the Smallville producers still?

16. Dick Whitman

yes touchy subject.... but what the hell...

How about this analogy - Those who voted for the second term of a certain President even though he really did not do anything right. Fans of a certain television series who continue to support it even though it never delivers what they really want.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

RED ALERT! RED ALERT!

::alarms sound::

Board sweeping political references being tossed around!

Thread detonation in 10...9...8...

;)

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

AHEM!.......Your attention please

Bits of news/spoilers from CC:

-Erica Durance is signed for whopping 18 episodes this season! Finally!
    -More talk about most of the actors being signed on through season 10
    -I'm sure we all could have guessed this, but Allison Mack will be directing again this year.
    -A clips showed a scene of Clark in the future in what might have been a BLACK cape. Lois was fighting in the future, as well.

Toyman is going to return, roulette is going to appear along with some other character not revealed at the panel, tom will direct two episodes. Also jeff loeb would love to write an ep again, and geoff johns is to writ another episode for the show about the JSA. Also no confirmation or denial of the rumor dtv movie.

And the FAKE suit that claims to be the real one

[​IMG]

The trailer they showed at Comic-Con showed Clark in the costume and supposedly it has some black in it as well, so that can't be it. I'm sure the trailer will leak out soon enough and we can all see.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  19. Dick Whitman

Someone altered a sketch by Superman artist Gary Frank.

As per normal they do not seem to have much info about the regular cast. Everything is about new characters and guest stars. Whether Zod, Metallo or the JSA. They seem to be bored by the actual premise of the show.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral