TNG is about 30 awesome episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking the former but both epic :)

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A homage to Animal House. :techman:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs[/yt]

3. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too Short a Season is really, really bad. Clayton Rohner is AWFUL in makeup and out, and he dominates nearly every scene.

(He later played Chandler Smythe in the short-lived but often screamingly hysterical series G vs E on Scifi; but serious does not seem to have been his thing.)

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a mandolin.

5. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I actually appreciate 'Masks' because it's so off beat and weird. I don't know that I'd say it's particularly bad, but I also wouldn't say it's particularly good. It's an interesting idea, but one ill-suited for a 42 minute episode.

Meh. It was the '80s, and they wrote it for Shatner. Again, given the concept behind the story, I can forgive a little hammy acting. Certainly not as jaw-droppingly bad as "Code of Honor."

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

After looking around, I don't think that "Too Short a Season" was written as a follow-up to "A Private Little War". I think it was a fan rumor that took on a life of its own.

Though I do like "Too Short a Season".

7. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

no... NO!!!

My list has 'Conundrum' on it, NOOO, I watched it yesterday, I knew it was a bit questionable but... NO!! REMOVE IT!!

8. JesterFace

And now... just finished 'Cause And Effect', what a snorefest!

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

At this point the show is 20+ years old, and I'd guess that most of us have seen every episode at least a few times. It's not really that it only has a handful of awesome episodes; it's that, after so much time, it only has a handful of episodes that I am okay watching for the umpteenth time.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I recall Stargate and X-Files each doing their take on this story idea and each were much better than TNG's "Cause And Effect."

11. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

which was the stargate one? C&A was fairly decent, too much technobabble tho.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I used to love "Cause and Effect" when I was a kid, but watching it as an adult was an incredibly boring experience.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The X-Files episode was called "Monday" and aired in 1999. The Stargate SG-1 episode was called "Window Of Opportunity" and aired in 2000.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

IYHO :)

15. Jedman67

oh yeah - that was great! More like Groundhog Day, which did it much better than Star Trek

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I confess I had to look these up. While I recall the episodes I couldn't recall their titles and when they aired. They both came along several years after TNG's episode.

17. danielcw

danielcw Lieutenant Red Shirt

You call it a snorefest, for me and is my favourite and most-watched episode.

That being said, it actually fails meeting one of my most important quality criteria. Because I don't think the episode is actually about something.

I think "time-loop" is to vague a story idea to compare the episodes based on that. (I do not remember the X-Files episode that well, but isn't it from an outsiders perspective of a timeloop?)
    In Cause & Effect the people are not aware they are in a timeloop. For them it is just a riddle, and only the audience has the extra knowledge, and one could argue, the fun.
    In the Stargate episode or the also mentioned Groundhog Day main characters are actually aware of the timeloop and can use it.
    The timeloop is not a story, it is a gimmick.
    The gimmick may be the same, but the kind of story is totally different.

That being said, the Stargate episode, which I do not like that much, and Groundhog Day, which I love, are probably the better stories, because they actually use the gimmick as a storytelling opportunity to say something.

18. JesterFace

It was entertaining but after seeing it many times over the years, it gets old seeing the same thing over and over again when time resets back to the beginning of the loop.

Maybe few years without watching it might change that.

But... then there's the annoying little thing that I pay too much attention to, almost everything fails to work, shields, propulsion, warp core shutdown doesn't work and then ejecting it doesn't work... but the tractor beam and shuttlebay doors seem to work just fine. :)

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Monday was a great episode. Was that the episode that had Kallie Waymore (Crewman Cutler from enterprise) in it or was it a different one. I know this episode involved a bank robbery and it was one of the best episodes of the sixth season.

As for Cause and Effect, it's still a good episode but it's not really great anymore. Once you've seen it once if you watch it multiple times it just gets repetitive.

20. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Way more than 30 great episodes. TNG is a fantastic show.

21. Autre31415

Autre31415 Cadet Newbie

I also think that there were more than 30 great episodes, yet I can also see how one could get swallowed up in cringe worthy episodes. Also, why no love for Chain of Command? That's easily in my top 5-10 episodes.

22. Jedman67

23. JesterFace

30 or 3000 great episodes, it's still my favorite show!