Someone to Watch Over Me

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ghost Bones, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

I just saw this on TV. What a wonderful episode, it's got to be a Voyager top ten. I don't think I've ever seen it talked about much. Any fans?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much the holy grail episode of those who think the Doctor and Seven should have hooked up. I think it's a bad match myself, but it makes more sense than Chakotay.

3. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Well I'm not a shipper, I just appreciate it for the characters, story and dialogue. Going by that, I think it's a fantastic episode. The B plot involving Neelix is great too.

4. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I've always liked this episode!

5. KarenLynn

KarenLynn Ensign Newbie

I like it too. Their duet is just adorable!

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is charming. I know some say the EMH was overstepping doctor/patient boundaries but everyone on the ship is his patient. He's attracted to 7 because she has similar struggles to himself, understanding and claiming humanity (oh so star trek, LOL).

I'm not sure having similar struggles works out well, probably most times it does not. You either end up feeding each others dysfunctions or as would happen in the case of the Doctor and 7 one person moves past the particular psychological drama that bound you together and the relationship no longer works.

All of which is more interesting than the way they ended 7/C in the books, just kind of wandered away without a whimper if I recall correctly. Rather realistic but dull. Better for 7 though to have her starter husband to practice on. A relationship with the doctor would have been entertainingly adversarial for the viewer but not good for 7 herself.

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

This ep is easily one of the better ones. I too think that EMH/7 would have been a bad pairing, and actually even worse than Chakotay/7...

Uhm, yeah, Seven should have ended up with Harry. Haters gonna hate. :D

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone to Watch Over Me... It seems like they should hook up.

11:59... Kathy has a crisis of faith because her gammy told pork pies about her gammy being in the space program. Seven reminds Janeway that believing in a lie is just as reatively authentic as believing in the truth if that lie inspires you to live an exceptional life, ie the ends justify the means.

Relativity... Seven is murdered and accidentally dies half a dozen times, who is then replaced sequentially by several temporal dopplegangers, who post mission, corpses included are alll intergrated back into a new single entity.

Warhead. Seven learns that machines are stupid becuase they can't break their programming even if it means their own death.

Equinox... The Doctor cuts open Sevens skull and probably between scenes licked her brain.

Post Equinox, Seven would not want to be in the same room as the Doctor.

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

How do I make myself unsee???? :eek:

10. Guy Gardener

Men. Typical. You're so material and superficial. The brain is by far the sexiest organ in the feminine physique.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are we talking about the definition of brains that Quark gave Leeta? ;)

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Chakotay/Seven is Voyager's Worf/Troi.

Man, if only they'd had a scene in TNG where Troi limps to sickbay, badly injured, and there's a moment where they both wordlessly realize it's over.

If Seven was going to have a love interest in Voyager I think Kim would have worked the best. They had the established attraction and the whole aggressive woman/passive man thing.

13. Guy Gardener

If breasts could think, there would be a war and we'd lose.

14. teacake

Worf/Troi is the stupidest relationship ever. Unless Troi actually gets off on aggressive feelings flooding her Betazoid perceptions every minute of the day. I can't even imagine what Worf saw in her, at least Jadzia could move effortlessly into the buddy zone and hang out with the guy as well as be his lover.

15. Guy Gardener

Dee could change Worf. It didn't matter what she started off with, after a couple years of marriage, he would be exactly the man she deserved.

16. teacake

Maybe he already was that man and that's why she was attracted to him. Maybe he represented every single non-betazoid's hidden response to her saying "I sense you are feeling.." Maybe he was her big brown karma payback.

Following the breakup and after extensive therapy at a Betazoid "rest" colony Deanna moves up a notch to Riker, the one she had pushed away in favor of pursuing that hatred she'd always felt just under the surface of every single person she'd ever worked with.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That would have come off more as a comedy than a tragedy. :lol:

Please tell me you are joking! Kim was one of the biggest losers in the entire Trek franchise.

Seven should have stayed single.

18. Guy Gardener

Seven wasn't single. She was two timing on Auxum with Chuckles.

19. teacake

She should have in that "looking back on it, I wasn't ready for a relationship.." way, but really it's all grist for her learning curve. And Chak is the perfect starter package. Kind, stupidly patient, easy to break up with. Won't hurt her. He's her training wheels boyfriend.

Whatever was going on with Auxum was happening in some fairytale escape garden. It's probably helped propel her to the point of wanting a relationship but it's not taught her much if anything about being in one, in real life.

20. Guy Gardener

There's a point where you have to say "I can no longer date people 2 decades my senior. Seven wasn't there yet as she was only hovering towards 30, but she had some daddy issues to work out before she found some reprobate who was age appropriate."

The Doctor while freejacking wee Anika tried to propell her into a Lesbian tryst with the amazing Megan Gallagher.

I suppose that she might be able to forgive the Doctor for trying to make her have sex with a woman... No? But he didn't follow through. Only because Megan's character wasn't into girls, he was clitblocked, but if it's the thought/intention that counts, then he's an asshole with no respect for other people... I was going to say that forcing her to eat multiple ice cream sundaes was a more vile offense than using the Borgette as an unwilling sex muppet, because he followed that violation though to it's conclusive finality... Potato, potato.

Why on earth would she want to even hang out with a quasirapist that did that to her?

It's like that time that guy borrowed your car for a few days and it came back full of junk food wrappers and cigarette ash.