common misconceptions about Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Aug 15, 2013.

1. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

oops, double post

2. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

tha't the thing, as long as they were able to get dilithium they should have no trouble running their systems.

Also newer ships are able to recrystalize dilithium

and because people hate the episodes so much it's often overlooked that in Threshold a new kind of dilithium was discovered in the delta quadrant that remained stable at much higher reaction rates, allowing a vessel to travel more efficiently at much higher speeds

3. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

That's my point, resources never should have been an issue to begin with.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But as the writers called attention to it, critising them for not holding themselves to what they themselves wrote is perfectly fair and valid.

5. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely.

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the ship apparently had a near unlimited ability to replenish itself, and it was in communication with the Federation by season 4, shouldn't the crew have switched over to the First Contact uniforms?

7. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I would have liked them to, those were my favorite uniforms. But from the production point of view maybe they wanted to kee them in their uniforms to differentiate between the shows

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they were a resource plagued ship it would've made perfect sense for them to stick with what they had.... but Voyager was always running at 100%.

9. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Mulgrew looked good in Nemesis!

IDK. I think that new uniforms would have acted like a fresh coat of paint. Perhaps they could have introduced the work version of the First Contact uniform, or something more in line with the Drive race suits.

As for new uniforms, I would think they would always need to manufacture them given wear and changes in the crew's girth.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps it was a way to seperate them from the films/DSN so as to not confuse the casual viewer.

11. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think that's exactly it from our perspective

but from the Voyager perspective, maybe getting the new uniforms wouls be a morale boost, a way to feel like they're still connected to the AQ

12. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought it was odd they didn't switch over either --- I mean by the time "Message in a Bottle" (S04E14) happened, Voyager knew there were new uniforms.

I think it would have been great for morale to introduce new uniforms and make them feel more like they are still part of Star Fleet --- IE have a stronger connection with home.

That always confused me why they didn't build things around that idea.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway got her ass looking juuuuuuuuuuust right, and damn it to hell if she had to start all over again from the beginning.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a misconception that there wasn't any continuity or serialization on Voyager; there was actually a great deal of both.

Another misconception is that Tuvok was demoted because of his actions in Prime Factors. The Lt. Cmdr pips on his collar were a costuming error and nothing more.

15. Guy Gardener

Real world costume errors don't exist inside story continuity.

Tuvok was not demoted, he got an official reprimand in his file, which is all the script said.

Here's my inside story explanation for the outside continuity costume malfunction.

Tuvok was having an affair with another lad, and they kept wearing each others uniforms by mistake.

Discontinuity is a sort of continuity, I suppose.

16. DigificWriter

Every Star Trek series has had issues with 'real-world' continuity in one fashion or another. In terms of in-universe continuity, though, Voyager actually does stay very consistent and things are carried over and recalled/referenced from time to time, which is why the idea that the show doesn't have continuity is a misconception.

17. Guy Gardener

So you refute Ron Moore's claim that Voyager's Writers Room has orders to ignore continuity because it's dangerous to tax or confuse their target audiences intellect?

18. DigificWriter

^ Yes, because the show itself does/did.

19. Guy Gardener

(With the except of two parters, and the triptych where Paris is trying to join the Kazon.) almost any episode before Scorpion can be aired in any order, any episode between Scorpion and Extreme Risk can be aired in any order with perhaps the exception of Day of Honour and Revulsion... This is odd, Berman squashed Nemesis inbetween Day of Honour and Revulsion, which is the set of episodes where Tom and B'Elanna hooked up... But from Revulsion to Endgame, except for the two parters, the only other blip that wasn't effected by the reset button was Astrometrics, so apart from hair cuts and weight you could air or watch the last three seasons in any order and it would still make perfect sense.

Ending credits, reset button every week.

Voyager was designed for the casual viewer.

70 credited writers for 170 episodes.

Just to figure out how you think, what's a show with terrible continuity look like?

20. DigificWriter

^ You're confusing the 'serialized procedural' format - which Voyager very much follows - with a lack of continuity.

Voyager's serialization and continuity is manifested through character development and progression and call-backs/references to earlier stories and/or story arcs.