What is it like getting older?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Oct 15, 2012.

?

What is your age range?

1. 13-17

0.6%
  2. 18-24

3.9%
  3. 25-29

17.4%
  4. 30-39

32.0%
  5. 40-49

24.7%
  6. 50-59

18.0%
  7. 60-69

2.2%
  8. 70+

1.1%
  1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^My bad, then.

[​IMG]

2. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm 19, but to be honest, with all the crap going on inside my head things can only get better!

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^And they will. That was a rough age for me, too.

4. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    ^Agreed. That was a really rough age for me.

5. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

If I had not picked one from this BBS ( Angry Angel )I would be quite outraged.. *:rofl:*

6. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey she had the pick of the litter with Angry Angel

... and Yo Aurian! ltns

7. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed I did! (And good to see ya! RevDMV) :-)

8. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

At 36 I find myself having to make more of an effort to stay healthy. In my youth I would eat and drink whatever I wanted, whenever I felt like it. I rarely exercised because I had a fast metabolism and strong sex-drive. Now, I find both are slowing down. So, in addition to eating healthier, making sure I'm getting my vitamins, and exercising regularly.

9. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

At 28 I feel like I've cocked everything up and my life is basically over and the next 30-50 years will be spent meandering toward oblivion achieving little more than acruing regrets.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be 27 next week, have several health issues that will probably kill me before I'm 50.

And I feel amazing!

I look better than I did when I was 20, everyone thinks I'm 22-23, but have an old insightful soul. I eat less candy, and have more real meals, but just had popcorn for breakfast. I'm having a lot more sex, and feel a lot better because I value life more than I used to, so I'm not as stressful.

The big thing is i walk and bike everywhere, that's the secret. I ate tons of ice cream this summer, but biked everywhere and ate veggies with the red meat. Last summer I ate nothing but Wendy's and chinese food for 2.5 weeks and lost 7 pounds and felt great. Why walking.

So if you feel old then get of your lazy asses and walk instead of driving. :p

11. Snow

Snow Vice Admiral Admiral

You nap more.

Getting older doesn't really feel like anything. You do it one day at a time.

To quote Mordecai Richler in one of his novel: The days pass slowly and the years fly by.

Snow...gonna be 60 next week.

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

You're a sweetie to stand up for Auri, TTFTB. But Auri has known me for over a decade (*waves at Auri* Hi, it's Huggle :) ), else I'd not have dared to make such a joke.

bigdaddy, don't believe what the doctors tell you. Remember, that if you have 1 cracked plate, all the others will break first before the cracked one finally goes to pieces. It's an universal rule :)

13. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still pretty young at 29, but old enough where I am no longer the youngest person at work. Weird being able to actually dispense wisdom.

I wouldn't trade anything to go back to my earlier years. All of my mistakes (my many, many mistakes) have led me to this point. My teens and my early 20s seemed much worse than they actually were.

The biggest perk of getting older for me is the respect I get. My parents go to me for advice now. My opinions actually carry weight to my friends and family.

I like to think I'm moving past the worst parts of my past and holding on to the best parts of me.

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Agreed. Some of the career mistakes I made led me to my wife. The job I took when I moved to DC from Cincinnati was not what I was expecting, since the job wasn't what I had in mind due to my previous job. I used to tell myself that if I had known, I wouldn't have taken it, and probably stayed in Cincinnati a bit longer. The job description and the phone interviews did not make it apparent to me.

That would have meant not meeting my wife when I did. I might have ended up not moving to DC at all since other opportunities may have popped up.

15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

that's something that I noticed, too, last time I was in Britain. People used to call me Miss when I was there for the first time, 20 years ago. Last decade they'd address me as Madam. Last year everyone called me dear or love (or luv, rather, as I was in south eastern London :D)
    I think when people start calling me ducks, I'll retire :D

16. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the bolded part pretty much describes me up to and including my current age of 47. Just a little bit smarter than I used to be. Judgements a little better. Still feel like the kid I was.

btw, early 20's is a very difficult time of most people's lives and it isn't really well known. You have to start dealing with the fact that doors are closing and there are things you aren't going to do. And the idea of working for the next 40 years is more than daunting.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also you make what might be the best relationship decisions you could at the time but they don't work out in the long run. Society tells you that you made the WRONG decision but IMO it's a cycle of life deal.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Even right decisions don't necessarily last forever.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the truth. Benign neglect isn't necessarily all that benign.

My Mom asked me why Hubby and I rehash the good things about our past, what we liked in each other, etc. I said that those who don't tend to forget and either come to ignore each other, take each other for granted, are unhappy, break up, or have major fixing to do. We're just doing preventive maintenance on our relationship. (We were inspired by seeing "Hope Floats" and don't want to get to that point)