So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

After finishing up Seekers #1, I'm gonna get back into DS9: Twilight, as that was what I was reading before Seekers got to my door. I'm also hip deep in new comics as the first wednesday post-ComicCon is always a huge week for new books :techman:

2. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Light Fantastic.

I'm currently reading Being Human: The Road by Simon Guerrier.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Finished the Veronica Mars novel over Shore Leave. A fun read that really captures the feel of the TV show and movie . ...

4. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How you liking Twilight? I am about half way through it. Really enjoying an exploration story.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm really enjoying it! I'm a fan of DRG3 from previous works, but this one is shaping up to be one of my favorites by him. I'm only about 200 pages in as the text is small and I end up taking more breaks than usual...which is fine as I don't mind this one dragging out :techman:

6. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    My second day of "The Light Fantastic", and I'm already half through. And the day isn't over yet! :)

7. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished Titan: Taking Wing. I think I'll continue straight into The Red King, but I'm also considering reading Articles of the Federation next.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just picked up an old ""Creature from the Black Lagoon" novel by Paul Di Filippo.

9. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Professor Bernice Summerfield and the Squire's Crystal. Not a bad read, some great body/gender swap gags and Jaqueline Rayner really gets Benny's character and voice perfect. I was going to start the Cold Equations books, but my copy of Doctor Who: Engines of War just arrived from Britain. Excited to get a War Doctor story.

Not sure why these Benny books have been such a slog to read while Trek books I've been able to tear through.

10. Gul Re'jal

Re-reading USS Titan "Orion's Hounds".

11. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I've been reading Harbringer, the first Vanguard novel. I really like it, but I'm kind of hoping to finish it soon so I can move on to The Light Fantastic and the first "Seekers" novel that have been queued up on my Kindle. I'll get back to Vanguard after I read those novels.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I got Q&A, and finished it a few days ago. It was a very enjoyable story focused on Q. It didn't dethrone the Q-Continuum trilogy as my favorite Q book story, but it was good. I like how it tied his appearances together, but I also like how it didn't negate the idea that, sometimes, Q just likes to mess with Picard for no reason :techman:

It was actually a bit weird to get into the stuff on the Enterprise-E, because I'm used to the current novelverse stuff, so I wasn't familiar with the replacement Enterprise-E crewmembers in this book (Miranda Kadohata, T'Lana and Zelik Leybenzon), since they definitely weren't on the ship by the time the Typhoon Pact came around.

Looking on memory-beta, all three eventually went off the deep end, so good riddance to them (and I actually liked Kadohata). I also learned while looking them up that I should avoid Before Dishonor like the plague :cardie: (I guess even Peter David can have an off day, the book sounds downright revolting and Peter David's stuff is usually excellent). Honestly, it seems like every book post Nemesis that featured the borg was terrible, although Before Dishonor seems like something I'd hate less for what the borg did and more because it has the three crewmembers in question doing something that could never, ever happen, especially on the Enterprise (outside of some kind of alien mind control of the whole crew).

So, overall, I enjoyed Q&A quite a bit, although knowing that a few of the newer characters are horrible, horrible people makes me wish they hadn't been given so much time in the book.

13. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    The mailman just delivered my IDW #29, 30, and 35.

So, I'm going to be reading those later on this afternoon.

(And, according to an email from the comic store I bought the above from: #36 is available).

14. Gul Re'jal

I just started "The Black Shore" by Greg Cox.

15. RoB

RoB Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just finished DTI: Forgotten History. The next one is The Sundered from the Lost Era series.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Trek Vanguard Precipice by David Mack. A lot of action is certainly happening with the charcters in the first few chapters in this book.

17. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

just finished reading no time like the past,(a time travel seven meet captain kirk),and flesh and stone a trek comic.

18. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Being Human: The Road.

I'm currently reading (and nearly finished with) Star Trek: The More Things Change by Scott Pearson.

19. roseake

roseake Lieutenant Red Shirt

I finished Death in Winter a few days ago and it was nothing special if I'm honest; rather boring actually.

But I've just started Taking Wing and I love it so far. The Titan is shaping up to have a great crew and I'm so hoping that the likes of Dr Ree and Melora Pazlar will stick around for a good while (although, I'm not sure how likely that is).

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished a re-read of Red October (Clancy) this morning. It's been a while, but still enjoyed it.

Currently it's Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber