X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's even assuming they follow the original that closely. For all we know, the structure and set-up will be completely different.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

While true, I think there are a few elements that are necessary that, without them, it's not the same story it's just the same name. The post-apocalyptic future and the timetraveler are the two elements.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Plus, let's face it, wouldn't hurt film PR to cast a Cable/Elba. (Woah...that's almost a palindrome/anagram). While we're at it, throw in Theron too. And maybe Rapace as Pryde. :p

4. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I hope he never stops.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Oh, no. No no no no no. I would never want to see The Rock as Cable. Jesus.

I actually think Stephen Lang would be an excellent Cable.

(In case it's not obvious, Cable is my all-time favorite comic book character.)

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Although I was initially really excited by the news that Singer had gotten Stewart and McKellen to return, I sat down and thought about it some more and came to the conclusion that I honestly could've done without Sir Ian coming back. Now, before I get angry posts directed my way, let me say that I absolutely adore McKellen in both his role as Magneto and his role as Gandalf in LOTR, so this has nothing to do with his skills. The reason I'm reticent about his return is that the announcement of his return has me wondering if Singer is going to end up excising The Last Stand from continuity, which could, in turn, excise the upcoming Wolverine - which we now know is a pseudo-sequel to TLS - from the continuity as well. Now, I'm not opposed to excising TLS from continuity per-se, but would like the X-Men filmic universe to be as cohesive as possible, particularly since Singer and Matthew Vaughn got things back on track with First Class in a major way, and it seems unnecessary and unwise to me to possibly excise The Wolverine from the continuity of said universe based on decisions made with regards to DoFP, especially when the former film hasn't even come out yet.

7. Robert Maxwell

Is there any reason to believe the continuity in which Xavier and Magneto appear would be fundamentally at odds with their fates in TLS? It could just as easily show them in an alternate timeline (DOFP) which is eventually corrected, or just show them during some period of time prior to TLS. I don't see what the big deal is, other than foaming fanboys being desperate to have TLS wiped from existence, creating a controversy where there isn't one.

8. DigificWriter

^ I actually LIKE The Last Stand (yes, it's not as good as FC, X1, or X2, but it's also not a trainwreck), so my concerns about what McKellen's return might mean in terms of possible continuity repercussions insofar as both that film and The Wolverine are concerned has much more to do with wanting the overalll X-Men filmic continuity to be as cohesive as possible with as few disruptions as possible.

9. Robert Maxwell

Yes, but you are working from the baseless assumption that this film will blatantly contradict TLS, when there is no reason to believe that. A lot of fanboys may want that, and I sure didn't like TLS, but I could not care less to what extent future films respect TLS' events or ignore them. It's either going to be a good film or it won't. How it relates to the others can make for a nice bonus, but that's it.

10. DigificWriter

^ I don't think I've made any assumptions one way or the other. I'm worried about the possibility existing mainly because I'd rather see 6 out of 7 films comprise the X-Men filmic continuity than 4 out of 7, but my enjoyment of DofP isn't going to hinge on what it does vis a vis TLS and The Wolverine. If my post gave that impression, that wasn't my intent at all.

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

The Wolverine is not a pseudo anything to The Last Stand. All they've said is that The Wolverine takes place after it. That's all. They were just answering a question to when The Wolverine takes place, and they were basically saying after everything else that came before.

12. Alidar Jarok

Signing Stewart and McKellen serves a useful role in that it can contrast their young versions with their older selves. In no other character does it work so easily because they are the stars of both movies.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'd be surprised if it referenced anything from TLS, except perhaps Wolvie missing Jean Grey. Of course, if TLS is retconned (and we don't know that it will) then (a) she may still be dead or (b) if she is revived, Logan may simply be missing her because he is away from her. Simple as

I don't expect The Wolverine to be replete with lines like 'Remember when we all had that big fight outside San Franciso and I had to kill Jean and Magneto lost his powers?'

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Wow that was faster than I expected

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That's inspired. Though not sure of provenance of this (from 2010):
    Stephen Lang Expresses Interest in Playing X-Men’s Cable
    As long as Elba gets Bishop. And one can easily fudge TLS continuity; Origins I have serious problems with :)

16. Alidar Jarok

I suspect they'll have her dead, which is part of the reason he leaves to go find himself.

Also
    I get the general impression that the school is kind of done, so the death of Xavier might be a relevant factor

There have been vague hints that Wolverine and Days of Future Past will be integrated to some degree. I think, at the very least, they'll talk with each other to make sure the movies aren't contradictory.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, I would like to think that Mark Miller's brief with Fox will include some sort of continuity oversight for their X-movies.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

And after "finding" himself in The Wolverine, he could establish The Jean Grey School for Higher Learning in his third solo movie. ;)

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Considering the number of heavyweight stars they have signed, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire team time jumps so as to use everyone as much as possible.

Not that I'm saying they will do that, just that I'm expecting quite a mutation (if you will) of the original story. And hoping, to be honest. I'd rather a new twist on it than a straight re-telling.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That should be the "death" of Xavier. However, I suppose it's possible the "new" Xavier ( in P. Xavier's body ) didn't let the others know he survived for some reason, or maybe he eventually did but by that point Logan had already left. At least that's my explanation in the event that it turns out the writer of The Wolverine don't like credits.

Then again, the original DOFP didn't involve the FC crew. But I'd still like to see Logan killed by the Sentinel, just to show it can be done...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012