(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently on SSN that the announcement's going to be made within the next 24 hours!

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Squee!!

Part of me thinks announcing before the game would be good, give the players a lift maybe before they play Utd. I hope the Burton fans give Nige a good send off tonight if this is true.

I wonder if he'll keep Hutch or any of Jewell's people on? would hate to see us gut the coaching staff yet again.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Unlikely - match has called off along with a whole host of others.

Poor lower leagues - a cold snap messes them right up. Wrexham have about 4 games to make up in the next month or something crazy like that, and that's contingent on weather and teams like Torquay not having cup runs!

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ah that's a bugger. Of course if it were still the 50's they'd play all those games...:lol:

5. HappyDayRiot

I dunno though - games getting called off due to frozen pitches and bad weather in this day and age with the wonders of modern football technology... anyone would think it was the SPL.

6. Angel4576

A lot of people thought that they were holding off on an announcement until after tonight's game against Torquay. With that called off, will be interesting to see whether anything's announced.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

From an outsider's perspective, this smacks of the same kind of sentimentalilty that got Kevin Keegan the Newcastle job the second time.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but maybe it's a gamble on an untried young manager who's done well so far, admittedly at a lower level. Every manager starts somewhere and to be honest I have more respect for Nigel than some star players who've gone straight into management at a relatively high level. Let's face it, Nige has more experience than Keane did when he took the Sunderland job for example.

9. Angel4576

Well, we'll certainly found out just how good a manager he really is. Unlike Keane, Southgate, Ince etc, he's not going to have a sackful of money to spend.

He's achieved a decent amount of success at Burton on a shoestring budget, hopefully, he'll be able to emulate that at a higher level.

DET now reporting that an announcement is likely tonight.

EDIT: OS says 'MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT' tonight at 7.30pm. Looks like we've got him!

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wonder if having limited resources will eleviate some of the pressure at least?

Yeah announcement at 7.30...hopefully it isn't something mundane like they've found a new pie manufacturer!

Assuming it is Nigel, hoping his appointment has the same effect on Derby as BD's did with forest before they played Manchester in the cup (Hey I can dream can't I? :D )

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Already been confirmed, Nigel Clough is the new manager of Derby (only because Forest did not offer him our job :p). I cannot stand Derby due to my Forest oaths but wish Nigel Clough enough success to one day manage in the PL, which I think he can do.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

ITV Teletext is also saying Spurs will parade Jermain Defoe before their game against Burnley tonight.

13. HappyDayRiot

Oh arse. I'm going to watch Cardiff v Derby this week hopefully... and they'll have new manager syndrome.

Think I'll stay at home and cry as Jeff tells me all the goals Derby magically score in this game and this game alone all season *sigh*

14. Angel4576

He will. With us ;) Billy will have a good few weeks to start destroying the Forest squad, while Nigel will have a few weeks to start instilling some much-needed confidence. Can't wait for the cup tie now, Attwell barring, it's a home banker now.

On a serious note though, best prepare yourself for some pretty dire football Mark. We won plenty of games under Billy, but it was some of the worst football I've ever seen at PPS.

Let's hope Giles Barnes plays. He usually enjoys scoring crackers against Cardiff! :lol:

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The one thing you can say about Derby under Billy is that we were solid. As a team we were hard to break down and as a result won an awful lot of games 1-0. You're right though, not the greatest footy ever--I was amazed we stayed in the top three for so much of the season, it must have been a dire league.

Sod Forest though, I only care how we play under Nigel Clough. Don't want to suggest we'll sweep all before us because I think it will take him at least a season to mould the team the way he wants it, but I bet we start playing prettier football if nothing else :techman:

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I love this...

17. Angel4576

We all hate Leeds, We all hate Leeds! We all hate Leeds! :lol:

It's the one constant in football.

Confirmed via DET that Crosby, Garner and Taylor should be following Clough to PPS in the next few days. Good to have Martin Taylor back at the club.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was always a big fan of Martin Taylor- great shotstopper. I wonder if Crosby will be his assistant, or if he'll actually get someone more experienced with Crosby just being a coach??

19. HappyDayRiot

Well I have just put in for a ticket. Hopefully your boys will use up their NMS up on United tonight :D

Ought to be an interesting occasion on Saturday at any rate. Apparently by going to this game I may get entitled to a shot at getting a ticket for the Arsenal game as well. Can only hope - I have no idea how it works.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah but he isn't really our manager till tomorrow :lol: So NMS should kick in Saturday...although I'd love it if we got a result tonight!