Episode of the Week: 4x04 "Suddenly Human"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jeyl, Jan 20, 2014.

1. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

That was my take on it too, Jeyl. Especially so soon after Best of Both Worlds.

2. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good spot. I hadn't noticed that. But then that would have meant the dreaded "C" word...

3. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Not sure that would make a good comparison, given that not only was Picard turned into a Borg, but that the Borg used his very knowledge and insight for destruction on his own people, and the boy's assimilation was of a different nature. Now that I think of it, this story would have been a lot better if it were done on VOY with Seven of Nine, with her taking the initiative because she would understand exactly what the boy went through as she was assimilated at a young age and that she grew up as a Borg. With Picard, it really is awkward, and the only connection they would make is being abducted at one point, but that's about it.

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

At least that would be something to work off of rather than just "You're the captain and you're male. Suck it up and do it!". And any other comparisons that aren't that well connected could easily be used as a means of Picard to come to the same resolution. He starts out believing that it's the same thing, but realizing that they're not.

5. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought about this grey area where a space viking decides to save a child during his own raid and I realized me too that was Borgish.:eek:

6. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I always thought it would've made Nemesis better if this actor played Shinzon as a young man and then mature to the point that Sir Patrick would take over the role near the end.

7. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Neat idea, but I'm sure some would have been inclined to think it was too similar to the Spock situation in Star Trek III.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have been (for me, anyway) like Superman: The Movie, when Christopher Reeve finally shows up, and I'd be thinking I liked the guy who played young Clark Kent more!

Oh, and I'm not normally one to criticize something without at least some observations as to why...but in this case I'll just say that I'd watch Shades of Gray over Suddenly Human any day.

8. les.kelly

les.kelly Ensign Newbie

look at the deleted scenes in nemesis, adding some of those back would have made the movie a lot better, they made sense. also remove the stupid crap with troi's "mental rape", and i really wanted to see the scimitar battle the starfleet task force instead of those dumb looking new romulan ships!