Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, stupid ideas aside online and in papers.

I do like the idea of Ben Whishaw though, but I think he is now too mainstream and well known, well to Bond fans at least. Couple of years again maybe, but he does have the look and confident yet slightly geeky manner.

The idea of rupert grint though, I'm feeling that, but in a few years maybe. I reckon he would be a good doctor.

Cumberbatch, no chance now, well, you never know, but with Sherlock and movies, I just can't see it.

To be fair, I like the idea of an unknown actor again. I like the surprise, especially in 09 when Smith was announced.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think Whishaw might be good but he's (superficially at least) too similar to Smith.

I don’t think it’ll be an unknown this time (although Smith wasn’t really unknown, though I’d never seen him in anything myself—same for Tennant) I think it will be a name, or at least a face, people recognise, which is why Ben Daniels may be the one…Of course he might just be the Paterson Joseph of this particular casting. I’m still sure Paterson was a deliberate fake out to throw people off the scent when they were casting 11.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the things to remember about casting people is this: Much of the time, there is a point at which your casting choices become somewhat arbitrary. I've cast or helped cast theatrical productions, and often you hit a point where neither Actor A nor Actor B are truly "better" than one-another. You have to make a choice, so you go with your instinct, and it's probably a bit arbitrary.

If the Doctor Who team were to make an effort to find the best actors out there who are not white Englishmen, obviously they would have to pick one person, and at some point their choice may well be somewhat arbitrary. That's okay. The goals would be to find a great actor, and to break out of the mindset that one should see "white English male" as the "default" setting.

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a choice out of left field - Pierce Brosnan. He's 60 years old, but looks good for his age. He doesn't appear to have a huge film career at this point, so maybe he'd be up to playing The Doctor.

Playing two iconic British characters would be pretty damn cool too.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's a different system where I am. We have a three tier system where I live. I'm at the higher school, but we're called a collage and will soon become an academy. It's supposedly a good school. It covers loads of obscure subjects. At year 10, you can drop some subjects and choose some more obscure ones. For example, some of the more obscure subjects include public services, Business, Ethics, Motor Vehicle, Hair and Beauty, Construction, and all that as well as a lot of more usual subjects.

The thing is she's too up her arse nowadays. I mean come on, practically had everything handed to her on a plate since age eleven. She's big headed and all boring and too serious in interviews like Kyra Nightly and all that.

Funny you mention Ron Weasley, Rupert Grint would make a marvellous doctor.

6. Green Lantern

Meh, he's still too action film for my liking.

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Brosnan was Leonard Nimoy's choice to play the Doctor if he'd directed the Green Light movie during the 1990s. And he was the first choice to play Commander Maxil in Arc of Infinity, before Colin Baker got the role (with Patrick Stewart as the Castellan, and Peter Cushing as Borusa).

8. Green Lantern

That was the nineties. :P I just can't imagine him play it well. My main choices are Idris Elba, Damien Molony, Jason Fleyming, Rupert Grint, and Joseph Morgan.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The shorter story length and and thus the faster pace format of the show just does not allow for an older doctor. The new series put a heavy focus on running around. Someone like John Hurt is not going to run around, if they threw in more 2 parters an older Doctor could work, but again, the current format is fast paced and geared towards a younger 21st century audience.

Be it a man or a woman, whoever is cast will be between 25 and 45 years old.

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Brosnan would surprise people in the role I think. He has that crooked, mischievous smile and that twinkle in his eye that made his Bond fun to watch, and he isn't untalented. It would be a different Doctor certainly, probably a bit more 3 and 6 than we've seen in recent incarnations.

You realize there is a thing called acting right? They film an episode over the course of a couple weeks and they aren't REALLY running around constantly. The running is like 5 feet into and out of frame most of the time. Some of you people act like anyone over 40 is practically crippled.

11. Green Lantern

I think Bronson would work better as a villain. It's just occurred to me that he'd make a great Valeyard.

12. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

The Bells of Saint John, The Rings of Akhaten and Hide showed how well a less mobile Doctor works.

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Rings of Akhaten isn't a great example to use there.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Denny Martin Flinn's script was written with Brosnan in mind, but I understand it would have been Alan Rickman as the Doctor had the film ever started production.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Alan Rickman as the Doctor...Interesting idea, but, he's been my Fantasy "The Master" for quite a few years now

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So if they then choose the white Welshman over the black Englishman this is ok because at least they've broken out of the default setting of a white Englishman? I mean seriously is a white Welsh or Scotsman really that different from a white Englishman?

I'd love to see the casting call as well, and I'd love for a white English actor to then take, perfectly justifiable, umbridge.

No, it needs to be the best person for the job or the person cast risks having no credibility, and I say that as someone who can probably think of more non white actors who'd be the best man for the job than white ones!

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The trouble is, even though I’ve seen him in serious roles, he’ll always be that bloke from Goodness Gracious Me!
    Personally I’d prefer Ace Bhatti, though obviously it might be a bit confusing if the Doctor ever ran into Rani again. (No, not that Rani, the other Rani)

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Well as many people have pointed out, the next Doctor will most likely be a relatively unknown actor. The reason the last 3 Doctors are really famous is because they played the Doctor, not the other way round. Yes I know Chris Ecclestone was well-known in the UK but I'd never heard of him and I'm prepared to bet I wasn't in a minority.

20. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree except for Chris Eccleston.

Eccleston had high profile roles in some big movies prior to DW that did well in the states, like 28 Days Later and Gone in 60 Seconds, and was very familiar to British audiences because of Cracker and Shallow Grave, which is of course why the Beeb chose him to relaunch their flagship show.

After the relaunch, a familiar name and face was not so important, now they'll hire whoever they think is best for the role.