so THATS why some of the cast didn't like Diana Muldaur

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Borjis, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree, Crusher was the worst doctor of all the Treks. McCoy, Bashir, the EMH and even Phlox were all better characters and played by far more watchable actors. Granted, Pulaski and Voyager's EMH were basically riffs of TOS McCoy character, but I'd rather have that then boring as Dr. Crusher and her stupid ass kid Welsey.

Gates McFadden was dull as dishwater and her character sucked.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Unlikely. Billing in unionized film and TV is negotiated and part of the contract. The order of the credits was determined in season 1, and the way it worked was Stewart and Frakes first, and the remaining regular cast in alphabetical order based on last name. As a new actor coming into established billing Muldaur would either have been inserted as the last actor credited (as was the case when Jonathan Harris was added to Lost In Space) or—if the contract wasn't specific about the number of credits in the opening— inserted into the opening credits alphabetically (Burton, Dorn, Muldaur, Sirtis, Spiner, Wheaton). Instead, she chose to have a "Special Guest Star" credit in the credits at the top of the Act One.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

When Muldaur joined the cast in season two as a special guest star, she was paid more than each of the main cast. Of course she left after one season and the rest of the cast ended up earning more because of how longer they were with the show by the end.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have only good things to say about Beverly Crusher. Still, I loved Pulaski as ship's medical officer. I would have loved to have seen them both on the show at the same time. It would have made for great tension, what with the cool, collected, professional Crusher, and her brilliant, but hot headed compatriot.

5. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I vote for this observation. The way Pulaski evolved as S2 progressed, especially toward Data, was very well done. I liked Crusher from Day 1, as much for her weaknesses as her strengths (and I still think McFadden is very attractive).

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's not about playing "topic policeman". It was an honest question of how the two are even remotely related?

7. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

They weren't related in the least. It was just a lame attempt to deflect the point which was that the TNG cast were acting like a bunch of unprofessional jackasses towards a cast member who had not done any of them the least bit of harm.

I also wanted to note that I find mos6507's hypocrisy most precious since he was clearly playing "topic policeman" with you. :guffaw:

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    It could have been like a HP thing where they get a different DADA teacher at the start of each year!

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I definitely agree here. It's been noted many times, especially by Jonathan Frakes in his commentaries, that Gates was a hell of a prop user, and when you watch her on the show, you see how accurate that was. She was convincing!

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

In the Sternbach/Okuda TNG Technical Reference Manual, there's a footnote that Gates was concerned with getting medical procedures right, how the equipment supposedly worked, etc. The medical tricorder section of the book was based on notes she asked for regarding all the little buttons and labels on the prop and sequence of operation.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The main reason Gates was fired was because she cared too much about the script and pointing out plotholes while episodes were being made. Gates had an extensive production background and cared about her character. The producers (Rick Berman excluded) got pissed like the morons they were and sacked her. :rolleyes:

12. Melakon

The version of the story I heard/read was the writing staff backed themselves into a corner with the Picard/Beverly relationship, and someone who shall go nameless (but with the initials MH) pressured Roddenberry to release Gates from her contract.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Uh, no. She was sacked after Paramount didn't lift a finger after repeated sexual harassment from Maurice Hurley, who was, of course, a drinking buddy of Gene's. when Hurley left the staff after season two Gates returned.

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    well the version that I heard was that she suffered from uncontrollable flatulence for that period in her life and it was making the experience of working with her quite unpleasant. During season 2 she had the condition taken care of, and returned without any lingering issues with it from season 3 on.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd heard this version before.

I'd never heard this version before. April fools?

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Yes, I was just joking. I was just amused at the different "rashomon" like versions of the story we were getting, so I threw in a story of my own.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Better be careful, Nichelle Nichols will figure a way to work that into her MLK story. :eek:

18. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, the main reason was actually that Maurice Hurley couldn't stop pestering her and got fed up with being told to sod off; he convinced Gene Roddenberry, who he was close to at the time, to let Gates go. Berman was not happy with the decision.

19. Melakon

The Hurley harrassment I'd not heard before, but not surprised, due to knowing of Gene's TOS behavior.

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

I am going by memory, but I recall a few posters in the past years here recalling stories about Gates having "minders" watch her in the immediate aftermath of her departure when she would appear at conventions. I guess not too long after she stopped being "watched", she talked about the Maurice Hurley situation. However, what is noteworthy is that Gates eventually stopped talking about the MH harassment. Now, she only mentions the tension she had with the producing team with the issues she had with the scripts.