So... New York, how's it going?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

New York, actually a chunk of the North East/New England was supposed to get hit with a big winter storm/blizzard between today and tomorrow. So, New Yorkers out there, hows it all going right now?

2. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Probably...

:cool:

...taking it cool.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm out on Long Island and there's probably a solid inch or so. It's gonna pick up real soon, supposedly. Looks like tomorrow will be filled with shoveling.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

This is like asking Shreveport folks how its going during Katrina. :vulcan:

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Not really. Since hurricanes require evacuations and usually have strong winds/storms they may result in the loss of power. Winter Storms usually mean, "stay inside after you raid the grocery store like a zombie apocalypse is coming."

6. Finn

7. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't necessarily compare Nemo to Katrina (at least at this point), but serious winter storms can be deadly. Heavy snow and ice can accumulate and bring down limbs, ripping down power lines. Our daytime temps here have only been in the single digits and the mercury dips to -5º to -10º F at night. In these frigid conditions you don't want to go for too many days with no electricity because even the motor in your oil-burning furnace needs electricity. A house can get pretty cold.

There was a bad snow/ice storm in Maine in the mid-90s (I think it was then) that friends told me about. EVERYTHING got coated with 2-3 inches of ice. Utility poles snapped and miles and miles of power transmission lines came down. Also, those gigantic metal towers that carry the transmission lines could not take the additional weight and collapsed. They did not have power for two weeks. Luckily, they had a wood furnace and wood stoves in their home.

It is so cold up here that the snow is very fine rather than wet, clumpy, and heavy. If that is the case, this 'lighter' snow will probably not accumulate in amounts heavy enough to break limbs to cause power outages. However, winds are expected to be very high all day long Saturday, and those winds may be the culprit in bringing down power lines.

... And Boston may get 2' - 3' of snow. Woof!

8. Finn

I think those comparing the storms themselves is missing the point

9. gturner

gturner Admiral

You know it's bad when you hop on the Internet and ask people in the region how it's going and get no replies.

Radio operator: "Hello - New York, New England, can anyone up there hear us?"

(static)

Radio operator: "New England. Boston. Vermont. This is the Internet. Are you folks still hanging in there?"

(static)

10. Robert D. Robot

"2X2L calling CQ . . . 2X2L calling CQ . . . 2X2L calling CQ . . . New York.
    Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there anyone . . . 2X2L...... "

11. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is it really going to be that bad?

12. Robert D. Robot

^ Only if we begin to realize that The Great Intelligence is the force behind the blizzard!

13. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

New York has had it bad. The heat wave last year then the hurricanes and now this!

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Massachusetts: I'm lucky enough to still have power. We have a road-ban (except for emergency vehicles until 4pm), and both of our cars are buried under the snow. It's going to be a pain to shovel them out.

An eleven-year old kid apparently died from monoxide poisoning. He was shoveling the walkway and car with his father and took a break in the car (while the dad kept shoveling). Unfortunately, they weren't smart enough to make sure the exhaust was clear of snow. The kid died, and the dad suffered severe respiratory distress (likely due to shock).

15. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I am flying to Boston on Tuesday afternoon. Sweep America, sweep!

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

It took me two hours to shovel out two cars. I'm glad that's over with...

17. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Another reason I don't drive. ;)

Brooklyn and Manhattan weren't hit too bad. I went for my usual 2 hour walk today...it was a bit slippery on the bridge.

18. Finn

Didn't go anywhere. We did brief walks. We dug out the car. The driving ban was lifted at four in the afternoon. However, the neighbors made the road awful when digging out their cars (there was still a snowplow running around the complex when we did ours). I'm not sure why the complex stopped running the plows before one in the afternoon.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Almost 2 feet of snow where i am in Rhode Island. Lost power around 8pm last night, just came back on 2 hours ago. Pretty psyched about that, a LOT of the state is still without, and going to be for a while. My house was down to 48 degrees when the power came back. I was about to drain all my plumbing and water baseboards as best I could and essentially winterize the house and walk away until power came back.

Going to be 10 degrees tonight, things are going to get dangerous.