Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then it should be the role of Trek lit to bring it back, not contribute to its loss.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was stated in Nemesis that B4 would never fully integrate Data's datatransfer, his technology simply was to...simple, compared to Data.

As for the half humanoid/half positronic brain, that was Vedek Bareil. He died a few days later....

4. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An obstacle VERY easy to overcome by two whole sentences of technobabble.
    It happened at least twice in tie-in fiction; both times, it was underwhelming (despite the technobabble being convincing by trek standards).

If that's your argument for Data's resurrection not coming to pass...well, they say 'hope springs forever'. Of course, 'grasping at straws' is more appropriate as a saying.

5. Mage

Well ofcourse they could change anything with a few lines of whatnot. I still feel that David Mack won't resurrect Data. Sure, it can still happen, and if it does, it does. Personally, I'm a bit 'meh' about the entire Data-subject by now. I prefer for him to stay dead, since death is death. But Trek has shown to overcome that little obstacle when it serves... well what really? Fan pressure? Plotlines? I don't know. All I know is, I used to be quite against bringing Data back. And I still doubt they will. But if they do, and write it well, I'm sort of ok with it.

David has never really disappointed me sofar (only ZSG was something I didn't really like by him), so if he does decide to bring Data back, I trust him to make it worthwhile.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

And while they're at it, they should bring back Tasha Yar.

But with a lot of trilogies I read I find that many people will read books 1 and 3, but then skip book 2 altogether. I remember when I bought the 'Millennium' trilogy, the copies of books 1 and 3 I received (and this was about 3 years after the series was first released) were 2nd printings, but book 2 was a first printing. This wasn't he first trilogy that I bought like that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  7. Hartzilla2007

You know I find it funny that people are expecting a resurrection in a Davis Mack trilogy of all places, I mean we are talking about the guy who has no problem what so ever killing one or more characters if it served the story.

If anything I'm wondering if someone is going to die in this trilogy.

8. Mage

Ok, that made me chuckle. :D

Although, I have a sneaky suspision that by the end of this trilogy, the E-E may have a new captain. With some of the talk in other novels about Picard feeling he is in a different place in his life then he thought he would be (husband, father), I can't help but wonder if he'll stay on much longer.

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Dare I say it? Captain Data! :lol: (so far, TrekLit has not counteracted Countdown)
    If Picard retires, he could still be part of the series without being captain. On the other hand, Vulcan isn't the most exciting place in the galaxy...
    If Worf becomes captain, Geordi would finally make it back to command track. By the way, why is he a mere Lieutenant Commander on the cover?
    If Data returns, he would probably become first officer and a full Commander, the next logical step on his way to E-E captaincy in 2387.

10. Hartzilla2007

Again this is made on the assumption that David Mack would resurrect a character when he is known to do just the opposite, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Data to come back at least in this trilogy.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Or maybe he'll resurrect a character because he's known to do just the opposite.

I personally don't support resurrecting Data, but don't assume an author will always do the same thing in every book they write.

12. Hartzilla2007

Doubtful. At most he won't kill someone this time, besides his previous use of death leads me to believe he respects it enough not to contribute to the comic booky invalidation of it a resurrection would bring.

True but it still doesn't mean he's going to resurrect anybody, especially since whenever a dead or thought dead character comes back they usually do something that implies this is going to happen and no a cover with Data's dead father NOT HIM doesn't imply he's coming back.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^You're expecting the world to be a lot more simplistic and predictable than it usually is.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't necessarily need Data back, but I'd like to at least see the introduction of another Soong type android. It could be fun to watch the character evolve.

15. Hartzilla2007

So the Romulan praetor is getting a sex-change at some point?

Honestly I would perfer if the books ignored Countdown, especially seeing as the movie didn't seemed to line up with it that well.

16. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I, myself, miss data quite a bit. He's absence is extremely felt in the TNG post-nemesis books. A side note on Worf; i thought it was established in DS9 that Worf would never be able to command a starship. In the episode "Change of Heart" he chose to save Jadzia's life over completion of the mission. Didn't sisko say he'd make sure Worf could never command a ship? It's been forever since i saw that one, so i'm not sure if i'm remembering accurately.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's forever since it happened and Worf has had several career changes since then. The Borg also decimated a lot of Starfleet's finest in the interim.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, he didn't. What he said was, "this will go into your service record, and to be completely honest, you probably won't be offered a command on your own after this." He was offering his opinion on how he thought other people were likely to react. It wasn't like the decision was actually his. And he only said "probably."

19. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, ok. Thanks, Christopher. I didn't think i was remembering that right.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there are three years to go until Countdown's timeframe, and Praetor of the Romulan Empire is not exactly the sort of job that ensures a healthly lifespan.