Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Noddy, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Out of interest, how many writers of Trek prose have also done prose fiction for Doctor Who? I know Peter David wrote the short story "One Fateful Knight" for one of the Big Finish prose anthologies, which was both a sequel and prequel to the TV story "Battlefield." What others?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure I'm going to leave some people out...

Mike W. Barr
    Peter David
    Keith R.A. DeCandido
    John S. Drew
    Diane Duane
    Allyn Gibson
    Una McCormack
    Robert T. Jeschonek
    Terri Osborne
    James Swallow
    Richard C. White

Swallow and McCormack have written novels for both franchises. The others have written Doctor Who short stories for Big Finish's Short Trips anthologies.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^And Keith edited one of those anthologies, IIRC.

4. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

David A McIntee is another who has done work on both:)

5. Noddy

Noddy Captain

What stories did they write?

6. Allyn Gibson

I knew I was going to leave someone out. Lonemagpie is probably cursing my name as I type this! :)

I also left out Paul Kupperberg and Kevin Killiany.

Keith was in Decalog 3.

Mike W. Barr, Keith DeCandido, Kevin Killiany, and Paul Kupperberg were in Destination Prague. Also in that volume was Chris Roberson, who later wrote Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes for IDW publishing.

The rest were in The Quality of Leadership.

There was another Trek author-heavy Short Trips anthology that was in development when Big Finish gave up the license. I'd have to look at old e-mails to refresh my memory about who was invited; I think Dayton Ward was in the frame for that one. The story I pitched was a Six/Charlie story that was pretty clever.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

McCormack, Swallow and McIntee have also written Big Finish audio plays.

8. Allyn Gibson

I would love a Paul Cornell-penned Star Trek novel.

I would love love love love love if Pocket and BBC Books could work together so Cornell could write the TOS/Second Doctor story Cornell wanted to write for Big Finish.

I should also point out that Titan's Star Trek Magazine had contributions by authors known in fandom primarily for their Doctor Who work, including Lance Parkin.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Actually, no, cos I was taking the OP to be asking about Trek writers who'd moved onto DW, and I'm the one who did it the other way round.

So I probably don't, technically, count.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, Noddy just said "also," not "afterward." So I think it encompasses anyone who's done both, regardless of order.

11. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course there is the rumour that Gene Coon was so cash-strapped that he not only moonlighted as Lee Cronin, but also as Robert Holmes. I doubt you've heard it before as I just made it up...

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

We need to get Greg Cox (Does he follow Doctor Who?) and especially Christopher (Since I know he watches Doctor Who) to write some Audios :bolian::bolian: (<-- I use that as a Cyberman, rather than a Bolian in the Doctor Who Forum :devil:)

Allyn, I knew you were a bit on the inside, but, I didn't realize you were an author, I thought maybe a columnist :alienblush: (Please don't take offense, I'm not very well read :alienblush: )

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  13. Allyn Gibson

Oh, I realized the other author I forgot who has written novels in both franchises.

John Peel.

14. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I admire a lot of Cornell's work, so I wouldn't mind seeing his TOS/Second Doctor crossover myself.

I didn't know Lance Parkin had contributed to the Trek magazine though. What's he written for it?

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love a Titan novel from Lance Parkin.

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Sounds good to me. One of my favorite parts of the "Assimilation^2" graphic novel was the flashback to the 4th Doctor's meeting with the original Star Trek crew. It felt exactly like the kind of crossover that someone would have done in the mid-90s some time.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've enjoyed a Doctor Who quite a lot in the past, although I'm several years behind at this point since the show moved from Syfy to BBC American here in the states--and my local cable package doesn't include BBCA. (Damn them!)

I've missed the entire Matt Smith era, but hope to catch up someday!

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah, but first we need to convince the powers that be to hire you to write some Lost Girl tie-in novels.:bolian:

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Trek heaviness of this one (and that Keith edited it) actually convinced me to take the plunge and read Who fiction - I had read one novel before that was downloadable for free on the BBC site back then (Nightshade) which was fine, but before reading QoL I didn't consider to read more.

If anyone is interested I've written an article/review about it back then.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

From your lips to the Ash's ears . . . .