THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

read a little to fast did'nt see it thanks for that and what about my second question. any ideas? I know it's a little early.

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be seeing it Sunday night hopefully, and thankfully in 2D. :D

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

"I need a HORSE!" :rommie:

Great movie. The cast was excellent, the standouts were Hemsworth as Thor and Hiddelston as Loki. I like how Asgard and Jotunheim were deplicted as well as how the frost giants were done. There was a nice story and plenty of humor which was important.

The only thing that I think could have better was Portman. The girl didn't realize that she was in a comic book movie and was playing the part way too seriously. She needed to have more fun. Too bad Kat Dennings couldn't have played the love interest. I was shocked as hell when I read that Rene Russo played Odin's wife.

I gave it a B.

Early estimates are in, and it looks like THOR will be making plenty of money this weekend. :techman:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I just saw it and loved it. I gave it an A.

It really harkened back to Superman: The Movie and Superman II for me. The same...verisimilitude. I thought it was great all around, the humour worked, performances were great, awesome score, intertwined into the "reality" of the world created in the Iron Man films perfectly...I loved it.

And the final moments in the film, especially the very last comments by Thor and Heimdall...actually really emotional.

Best Marvel movie since Iron Man. And I am genuinely surprised by that. Huge congrats to Kenneth Branagh for taking the hardest to translate into the cinematic universe and really making it work.

Going again soon.

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just saw it and really liked. Great casting all round. I saw it in 3D and have to say it pretty much added nothing to the movie. I would have preferred to have seen it in 2D and gotten the better colour and brightness that comes along with it. And as others have said, the action scenes were adversely affected by the 3D.

Don't get me wrong, I do like 3D and think it has it's place, I just didn't see it in this movie. I gave it an A-

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Argh, I despise 3D. I probably would have wanted weeks for 2D if it hadn't been an option the first day.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@timothy you can most likely expect "Thor" on DVD around Christmas time...probably a little sooner than that. Maybe November or late Oct.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The 3D in this movie was "meh". It wasn't filmed with 3D conversion in mind and it shows. The only places it stands out is in the Asgard sequences.

Captain America, on the other hand, was filmed with 3D conversion in mind and I got more out of the 3D in the Cap trailer than in the entire Thor movie. Seriously, at one point during the Cap trailer, I jumped in my seat when it seemed as if Cap's shield was about to hit me in the face. :lol:

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

A-

Just got back from it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a fun movie with a lot of action and Asgard provides a large canvas. Definitely wipes the bad taste of Iron Man 2 out of my mouth.

I thought the acting of the main four was excellent. Even though it was just an act, I thought the Hiddleston managed to make Loki a sympathetic character. The Loki/Thor/Odin interaction is strong and convincingly emotional. Hemsworth has an impressive physical presence for Thor and was funny without being stupid. Although his banishment doesn't last long, I bought Thor's change. Anthony Hopkins was excellent and managed to not chew too much scenary. Did not know that was Rene Russo as Thor's mom until I read the credits. I liked the Warriors Three although I agree they could have given Ray Stevenson a much bigger fatsuit. That character is supposed to be REALLY fat.

Although I liked the Marvel Universe references in Iron Man 2, I think Thor did a better job of working them in here. Although it didn't have to be in there, I liked Hawkeye's cameo. Nice inside jokes with Donald Blake and Stan Lee's cameo. I found the idea of guys getting drunk and having barbacues while trying to lift Thor's hammer to be hysterical because I imagine that's just what guys would be trying to do.

All and all, a very good start to the summer movie season.

Issues...I thought the final battle scene was a little underwhelming. I thought that it needed something a little more epic I guess. Thor quickly wins his fight on Earth and then it's the fight against Loki. Just thought it needed to be more grand to fit the story and setting. I also agree with an earlier poster who said that a lot of story elements here are resolved too easily.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot to talk about the 3D. If I had a choice, I wouldn't have seen it in 3D. Not only is it expensive but the studios desire to cash in on the "craze" has caused some lousy conversions from 2D to 3D. The 3D in Thor had its moments and was a lot better 3D than it was in Tron Legacy and The Green Hornet. But if you're going to do a 3D movie, then SHOOT THE DAMN MOVIE IN 3D!!! I'm very worried about having to get stuck watching the last Harry Potter in 3D.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just out of curiosity, how big of a role does Sif play in the movie? I'm a big Kyle XY, fan and I was really happy to see that Jaime Alexander got a role in a big movie like this.

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

she's a supporting role, in it at the beginning, gets a couple of small scenes in the middle and then a larger part nearer the end.

she is good though. her scenes are good at showing she's a good warrior and a good friend to Thor. and she's hot.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who was the SHIELD agent to whom Thor said "I've fought bigger"?

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I gave it a solid A.

I had so much fun. And was fortunate enough to find a 2D showing.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I remember when the movie and choice of director were announced you expressed your concern at how hard it was going to be to pull this one off. IIRC, you were worried because Thor was one of your fave Marvel characters and you didn't want to see him badly done. I'm glad the movie didn't disappoint you. :)

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forgot to ask in my review, was that a cosmic cube at the end of the movie?

17. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely was.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- I saw it not knowing much about Thor, so I can't say I was blown away, but I did find it to be an enjoyable and serviceable summer movie. I'll give it a B-.

- Chris Hemsworth was quite good in the role. I found it interesting that the studio went with a newcomer, but he delivered.

- Good humor.

- I don't think I've ever seen a movie like this where the action went back and forth between the everyday world and a fantastical realm. Usually it starts off in a fantastical realm with the bulk of the action taking place in a more grounded setting. Good to see something different here.

- I didn't catch the logistics of how old these gods were or how long they've been alive, but I'm not thinking too much about it right now.

- Asgard looked fantastic, but a few scenes did make it look abit too CGI-ish.

- I didn't know that Colm Feore was in the movie until I saw his name in the end credits.

- I wasn't sure that the mother was Rene Russo. She looked different in parts of the movie. Her distinctive chin wasn't as distinctive.

- I'm can't wait to see how Thor blends in with, and interacts with the rest of Marvel's heroes in The Avengers. I'm a little more eager to see that movie now, despite my annoyance and disappointment that they replaced Norton.

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

just some guy.

20. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

A-

I liked it, but it was too quickly pased in some areas and there were a few shots that seemed to be wasted. But all in all, a good summer movie.