star trek 3 without jjabrams

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by tmosler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Wow, yet another joke about lens flares! I've been hearing this silly joke for four years and it never gets old! :rolleyes:

You stated that you think he should not make the films anymore. I asked you why. "Why not" isn't a valid answer.

Yep, he conned people out of $300 million dollars of their money, and looks to be about to do the same thing again four years later. And in all that time nobody's caught on to his dastardly deeds. He's a con artist, alright!

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

He's just jelly.

3. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Two words:

Nick. Meyer.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Three words:

Box. Office. Bomb.

Meyer's day has come and gone. I think he'd be ill-equipped to make a summer tent pole movie now.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

When was the last time Meyer even directed a movie?

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

according to wikipedia, meyer last directed a tv movie in 1999, and before that it was star trek 6.

i think i'll stick with jj.

7. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Who saids that there will be a third movie?.into darkness could be a huge flop,cant see jj doing both trek and ST.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two words:

No way.

Meyer's directorial career was over in the 1990s. No studio would hand him the keys to a big budget movie now, and that includes Paramount.

That's a guarantee. Sorry.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Because the actors are contractually obligated for three films.

Plus, you don't really believe this new movie is going to flop...do you?:wtf:

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will eat my hat if ST:ID flops.

I imagine it will be a much bigger hit than the first, which seems to be par for the course with most blockbuster franchises now, even if the films get progressively worse, a la Transformers.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, with the momentum from ST2009 and how enticing the trailer is, I think even if the Critics and General Audience hate STiD*, it will still make enough of a profit to greenlight the third movie, before that Critic/General Audience hatred can affect the turnout

*I do not believe for one second that the General Audience and Critics will hate the movie, I'm just saying that I think no matter what happens that it will make enough for movie 3 to be greenlighted

12. PhaseIIforever

PhaseIIforever Ensign Red Shirt

If JJ is too busy to direct he should get Michael Bay. He's a money maker and does similar films. Or, if he's busy, get Kathrine Bigelow and the DoD to do it since Zero Dark 30 was so well received, they can put in some message how it's ok for the good guys to spy on you.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't think JJ being either directly or indirectly involved will make a huge difference. Much of the rest of the creative team will probably be the same and even if not, the tone has been set.

The third film will likely be the last with this cast anyway. Spin offs and new crew, with guests and cameo's by Quinto, Pine and Co. are not out of the question though. Maybe on T.V...

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see the similarity, beyond the fact that they both make big budget genre movies. Or is that what you're referring to?

JJ Abrams seems to be much more popular with the critics than Michael Bay, for example.

15. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Personally I would like Abrams to talk Spielberg into doing Star Trek. I can see a press conference in 12months or so with JJ announcing that he will step down from the directors chair due to his commitment to Star Wars but talked his friend into taking over from him :)

That would be awesome. Spielberg is still the king!

Nick Meyer? I think he would be the first to admit there is no way he could helm a production like Star Trek what with all the green screen and effects considerations of today. Michael Bay might get some stick from the internet but his films are technically brilliant and the shots he sets up are very very complex! No one comes close to Bay in this regard imho... stay away from Trek though Bay!

I think the most likely director though will be Brad Bird.

16. Flake

I *just* remembered Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and I'd like to formally request that Steven Spielberg not do Trek :eek:

I forgot about it until now. I must have blanked it out somehow.

That was a close one.

17. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That just means the actors must appear in three films if the studio chooses to make them. The studio itself is not contractually obliged to make those three films.

The leads in the Fantastic Four movies were contracted for three films, but the studio only made two due to poor box office returns.

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, Steven Spielberg, arguably the most successful director of all times, will not do the third Star Trek movie. :lol:

19. Flake

He is a friend of JJ Abrams and has collaborated with JJ Abrams and thats the only reason I bring his name up. Spielberg has not done a space movie (yet) whereas all the other big directors have. I think he would be interested. Trouble is Indy 4 was not good... so its put me off :P

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, now the idea is that Spielberg might not be worthy to direct Trek? :guffaw: