Klingon Uniform question.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Vahn, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Vahn

Vahn Ensign Newbie

Hi guys,

I've looked around a lot for this and I've found a few things but nothing solid. I'm wondering what the brown stole Klingon captains wear is called and is is specific to captains and high council members? Is it acquired by becoming a captain? I've attached a picture of it and the uniform. (It's the brown cape thing. ) I first noticed it in TNG season 2 episode 8 "A Matter of Honor".

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Vahn

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could be wrong on this, but from the uses I've observed from it it seems to be reserved for the head of a Klingon House in formal situations. Worf wore one too in Sins of the Father.

3. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

It was first worn by Torg in "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" when he beamed over to the Enterprise, shortly before its self-destruct. When Kruge beamed down to the Genesis planet, he wore a different kind of robe. So it seems the leader of away missions also wears such robes.

4. R. Star

Yeah, a wide variety of people wore them. Hence my guess at them signifying the head of a Klingon house. This would cover High council members, captains, Worf, and the such.

5. Vahn

Vahn Ensign Newbie

Right be even so being the head of the house shouldn't Worf wear it all the time?

6. R. Star

Why? You don't see military officers in their dress uniforms 24/7. As I said in my first post, it's probably formal attire. Oh and even Quark wore a similar one in House of Quark, and he definitely only was a Head of House however briefly.

7. Vahn

Vahn Ensign Newbie

Right, but captains wear them when commanding a ship. Even worf wears one when he pretends to be captain of the enterprise in the emissary. I'd hardly think that running the ship in day to day situations would be considered formal?

8. R. Star

Some captain's did, some didn't making it seem an optional thing and definitely not a requirement for command being you see subordinates wear them on occasion. If you have a better idea, let's have it.

9. Vahn

Vahn Ensign Newbie

No no it's not like that, lol. Your most likely right. I appreciate the replies. This has just been something that's been nagging at me for a while. Thanks again.

10. R. Star

Honestly I think they just throw them on at random because they look cool and we're left guessing. Certainly that's what I'm doing. ;)

But yeah, the only consistent thing I can come up with that covers everyone from the captains, high council members, random subordinates, and Quark is head of a house. :p

11. Vahn

Vahn Ensign Newbie

Most likely. Lol

12. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Correct me if i am wrong, but klingons did not have different uniforms during their civil war.

Am i right?

At least is SW Legacy we can explain because they are all wearing helmets.

13. R. Star

No they didn't have different uniforms really. The Duras family were wearing red sleeves(which later became green), but their regular soldiers didn't follow suit.

14. Drago-Kazov

So how the heck could they tell eachother apart?

15. R. Star

You think Klingons are that picky about who they're going to fight? Practically all of the fighting was in space anyways from how the episode presented itself.

16. Drago-Kazov

I assume they try not killing members of their own house.

Wasn't there fighting on the homeworld too? Also why not have different markings for the ships or color?

17. R. Star

As tradition bound as Klingons are putting different markings on their uniforms or ships would likely seem an admittance of illegitimacy.

18. Drago-Kazov

My color is the just color!!!!!!!
    Qapla!!!!!!!

What would be so dishonorable about it.

19. Vahn

Vahn Ensign Newbie

It is assumable they had an entire registry of ships just like the federation has, and by identifying the ship and her captain one could identify where their loyalties lie based on who they served and so on up to Duras or Gowron. as far as the fighting on the home world, the only scene we see there is the bar and Kurn tells Worf to look around, who fights for who? here we fight as Klingon warriors not as this side or that side.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingons basically wear the same uniform regardless of rank or station. They don't use rank insignia, for example, because a Klingon can be counted on to actually be the rank he or she SAYS they are.