The "Shatnerverse" what do you all think-recommend or no

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Lange, Jan 16, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Federation, although it no longer fits into the Trek timeline (Star Trek: First Contact F'd it in the A, continuity-wise), is fantastic. I've read it twice and it definitely holds up.

2. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Have to agree that the first trilogy was enjoyable, the Mirror-Universe one started off well but went downhill and the rest of the books were average.

3. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing that's coming up for me after reading the first trilogy is I'm remembering how much I've enjoyed all the other Reeves-Stevens books. Prime Directive, Federation and Memory Prime are all favorites of mine. The DS9 trilogy started out awesome but ended average for me. One thing the authors do is they have a great way of putting bits of Star Trek continuity in their stories in interesting ways. I'm always thinking to my self "hey, that's pretty interesting" and not "I get it, you've seen Star Trek, can we get going with the story?"

Maybe this is an unfair way of thinking about this but when I was liking a scene I was thinking it must have been something the Reeves-Stevens wrote and when I was reading a scene that was over the top Kirk I think Shatner wrote it.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Agree with those who say the Shatnerverse Mirror Universe trilogy is awesome, and has a pretty cool explanation for what turned that universe bad, to boot.

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Shatner's Mirror Universe novels I thought they were real good at explaining the Mirror universe history of what went went wrong with the different empires.

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some of the "Preserver" stuff was interesting, especially how they had preserved not just proto-human cultures but proto-Vulcan and proto-Klingon as well. (At least that's how I remember it, it's been a while since reading them.)

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Proto-Klingons? I don't remember that. That would be cool to see! The proto-Vulcans are supposed to be people like the Mintakans i presume?

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, it was just that we were told there were duplicates of Vulcan and Kronos out there too, to go with the duplicate Earths of TOS.

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I'd love to see some Klingons unaffected by the Hur'q or Kahless or the long history of the empire. It would have been interesting to see what early Klingon life was like :klingon:

10. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I read Ashes of Eden when it came out and what completely underwhelmed by it. The characterizations all seemed off & the fate of the 1701-A was less than satisfying. The only thing that I found interesting was the framing sequence, which is why I read The Return. The Return was entertaining, but read more like a FanFic than a professional novel. After that I never bothered with the rest.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I wasn't that interested in Ashes of Eden either. It's definitely the weakest of the first six novels. It's not big and epic like the others, it's more like a normal story.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

To me it was the most filmable Novel compared to the others. I could actually see Ashes of Eden as a fitting sequel to ST:TUC.