What is Good about Life and living???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by think, Jan 26, 2015.

1. think

think About it! Premium Member

Kathryn - there is no way to prove that idea about the afterlife let alone be aware of what happens when the life energies leave or even if they do? I do disagree that spirits are there after death and often "heal" me from time to time from the other side ,,I do see these apparition before i fall asleep.. of course there is no way for me to prove that as well... I just have that experience ..

I am sorry that they are missed but to believe they are in a better place is more "positive" then not

I can notice my mood changes from post to post I don't know if anyone else see's this but yes this is what I deal with when it comes to feelings mostly like everyone else just probably much more intense for the individual that this is occurring to,..
    sometimes it is so intense on my end that.. I cut.. so that is that but better physical pain then the emotional pain is how it is for me sometimes.

As well I am sorry for your physical pain... when I had physical pain in 2000 where my ankle ball was shattered into 25 separate pieces of bone.. (it took 3 dr's to count that high) I had to focus on the pain feel it for it to pass.. over time... I feel that maybe your pain is growing till you locate the source in the mind and find oneness with these various pains.,,..

life is suffering is a precept of some religions and --
    also the outward intended projections come back three fold these things i know ... as true.

2. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Okay, time for the serious answer.

think, some of the things you've written make me wonder if you're suffering from depression or anxiety or something similar. If this is the case, I hope you find someone (a counselor or the like, maybe) to discuss these things with.

Given this, I'm not sure that the things that people post here will change your mind much. What I will say on the subject is this: modern humans have been around for a couple hundred thousand years. We're part of a story of life on the planet that goes back billions of years. Clearly, there is a drive to survive--and it's not just about sex. Sex is the mechanism by which we continue as a species, but doesn't get to the heart of what pushes us to keep going even in the worst of conditions. I won't pretend to know exactly what that "thing" is, but I do know this: you don't survive through billions of years of near-extinctions, catastrophes, and harsh environments by "faking it." Maybe what is special about life is how hard we hold on to it.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with this entire post, it is how I think all the time when things start getting me down. I have always felt wealthy even when technically well below the poverty line for my country. I had a resistance to feeling poor or harping on it because it just seemed so ridiculous in the face of how many people are hungry and whose kids die because they can't give them medicine.

I have also lost a lot of friends over the years to death. Cancer, other illnesses. I will never complain about getting older because it always come to mind that my friends would have LOVED to be the age I am now. And they didn't get to and that's incredibly sad and will be incredibly sad if I'm in my 80's and decrepified.

I enjoy many seemingly small things rather intensely, and if I don't I work hard to get it back :)

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Highlight, bold, and underline.

Whoa! Seeing your name again made today worth living for. How are you? :)

Life is the antidote to entropy. :mallory:

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Okay, my take.

There's two components. My/your life (the personal experience), and life itself.

From what you've said, your life's not much chop. In my life there's a lot of things wrong, that I don't want to talk about, but there are a few good things happening. Some I have to do myself, some just come along, like the fact (big announcement) that I'm going to be a grandfather, so that's going to be interesting. I have no idea what it will be like, but... let's find out. So, a mix of good and bad.

Then there's life itself. Life itself, is AMAZING. Look around you! YouTube, Rolling Stones, Vincent van Gogh, Doctor Who, Star Trek! Star Wars, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Neuromancer, Iain M Banks's Culture novels, Fred Astaire as he glides through the air, while Ginger Rogers does it all backwards and in high heels! Arthur C Clarke, Tangerine Dream, Terry Pratchett, Spike Miligan, the Who, Leonardo da Vinci, Ian mcKellen!

And with those I've just mentioned I'm barely scraping the very top layer of the surface.

There are so many brilliant, shining things out there that aren't part of my life directly, that I bring into my life because they bring me joy, or provoke thought, or let me reflect on other days, or lead me to puzzle about the jigsaw that is history. There is so much in Life, that is Life, that once you start looking at it with open eyes, you never stop.

Take yourself down to an art gallery (if you can) Look at some of the paintings or sculptures. Think about how thought had to go into them, and talent, and skill and practice that went into that. Find some who have taken care to give the painting a photographic life, or the swirls of Van Gogh giving a simple scene a whole new sheen (watch the Dr Who episode, 'Vincent and the Doctor', that's a great ep about life, creativity, loss and depression).

Look at Terry Pratchett. His brain is slowly turning to mush, yet he's still writing, travelling, still struggling against the coming darkness. His books are great (get into them) and his life is inspiring.

In short, without meaning to sound harsh, stop looking down, and look up instead. Your life may not be great, but there is so much going on around you that, at a minimum, it'll serve as a distraction, and at most an education and even life-changer. Good luck.

6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Great response, Australis!

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I think peanut butter is pretty rad. I stick around so I can get more peanut butter. :)

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally!

Biscoff spread is better. ;)

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bacon and eggs.

10. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Out of my cryo-chamber for the day. ;) I got nostalgic.

But see? Even being away for a while, I can still come back and there are familiar avatars hanging around the place. We now live in a world where we can connect with people in new and different ways, like we never could before. When I was growing up, I could talk about Star Trek to about five other people. Everyone else just thought I was a nerd. Now I know I'm not alone. That's a pretty good thing about life, right?

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:techman:

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

NERD!

*pushes up glasses*
    *snorts*
    *runs away, tripping over untied shoelace*

13. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Life is what you make of it.

I never liked hearing that when everything was going wrong and life felt like a nightmare but it is true.

Things aren't ideal now but they never were and I am okay with that. I just know what I want and I am going to try my best.

:bolian:

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Excellent. Best of luck to you. :)

You had five? You were lucky. :rommie: Yeah, it's fantastic to be able to meet interesting and talented people like you for a change. :)

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Very Little. VERY little.

But truthfully? Even that is enough to keep me going.

For now, anyway.

16. Inactive-Shapeshifter

Inactive-Shapeshifter Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sometimes i sense that the meaning of life is closer than we think. We are human beings, we have flows, we are not perfect. We live in a not perfect society and world. The meaning for me is to simply become a better person with each day. Very much like "expanding my program". We all have programs. It is up to us to make them something we can look and be proud off.

We are here to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.

17. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

FTFY.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

There are days when thoughts get so dark that I wonder what the point is in continuing, but the spectre of death is not something I am ready to face, because there is no going back. I hold to the hope that days will get better, even though my rational mind tells me that the odds are heavily against me. This is why, despite those thoughts, I am an optimist.

19. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Anbd, as they say in Reddit, OP plz respond. We've given you a range of thoughts without much in the way of reply.

20. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Although, I'm a pessimist. I keep hanging on and try harder to improve.