Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM   #1651
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

For shits and giggles, I thought about the calculations I did earlier, and compared it to the number of members this BBS has. If every person on the BBS bought only one season of Next Gen on Blu-Ray, DS9 would've most likely been a certainty Depressing that for how hardcore Trek fans are, they can't be bothered to spend money on it.

Edit: Sorry, five seasons. Five seasons for every member.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #1652
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
For shits and giggles, I thought about the calculations I did earlier, and compared it to the number of members this BBS has. If every person on the BBS bought only one season of Next Gen on Blu-Ray, DS9 would've most likely been a certainty Depressing that for how hardcore Trek fans are, they can't be bothered to spend money on it.

Edit: Sorry, five seasons. Five seasons for every member.
So, five seasons. Plus not everybody's still active. Plus not everybody's interested in TNG. Plus not everybody can afford it.

I really think that five seasons per member would have been unrealistic expectations. Even one season per member is pushing it.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #1653
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
I dunno, some transfers to bluray have been pretty shit. I don't know if the HD versions of nuWho seasons 1-4 on Netflix are the same as the bluray versions, but some of the sfx looks horrible there. If the HD on the blurays is the same, I'd stick with the dvds.
NuWho wasn't shot in HD until Matt Smith took over. The Blu-rays of the Eccleston and Tennant series are upscales from the original SD video.
I thought Tennant's farewell run of specials in 2008 were shot in HD? I have those on Blu-Ray and they look pretty good to me.

Yeah, I know, hence me saying some transfers suck. There's a difference between a transfer and a remaster, I believe. That's the way I understood it. And some older movies/tv-shows on bluray look less good then they do on dvd.
Some people just don't care about HD vs SD. I tried very hard to upgrade my parents setup at home; they resisted it. When they finally did it themselves, they were astonished at how used to HD they'd become and how (now) very apparent the difference is. Whaddya gonna do?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #1654
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Some people just don't care about HD vs SD. I tried very hard to upgrade my parents setup at home; they resisted it. When they finally did it themselves, they were astonished at how used to HD they'd become and how (now) very apparent the difference is. Whaddya gonna do?
When people tell me they don't see a difference, I pop the Avatar DVD in my XBox 360 and Avatar Blu-Ray in my XBox One, start them both at the same time and flip back and forth between HDMI1 and HDMI2. That changes their tune REAL quick. Got my whole family riding the HD bandwagon with this trick
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #1655
Lance
Commodore

DragonQ wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

NuWho wasn't shot in HD until Matt Smith took over. The Blu-rays of the Eccleston and Tennant series are upscales from the original SD video.
But note that they're upscales from the original SD video (that is, the PAL version). So if you're in NTSC-land, there will be some increased resolution in the HD versions (as our SD versions were downscales).
Upscales from original SD masters can look great, particularly compared to upscales done by consumer equipment. The main difference is that the source is much higher quality than a DVD would be (minimal/no compression). Unfortunately this is rarely taken advantage of. Even most broadcasters use pathetic HD upscalers (as in a lot worse than anyone could do at home in real time).
Absolutely. The benefit we would get from an upscale from the SD "broadcast tapes" would be an uncompressed version. Popping a DVD into a Blu Ray player and using the hardware to 'upscale' it does see an increase in visual fidelity, but it doesn't remove the compression artefacts that were part of the source DVD (and it can, in the most severe cases, magnify those artefacts). So a BD version would be an improvement over simply upscaling the DVDs, because the BD version would be taken from a cleaner 'source' to begin with. The 'bump' in visual quality wouldn't be too big, though, unless they took the opportunity to digitally color-correct the image and that kind of thing. It still wouldn't be HD, but it'd look better than a DVD upscale.

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
It's not so much a case of "not being bothered" as it is not everybody can afford to spend that much money on each season. The world has been going through recessionary times, not everybody has got the expendable income they once did, and some of them might see the online streaming option as a cheaper way to experience the same product. So yeah, plenty other factors apart from "people can't be bothered".

It's also possible a larger portion of the fanbase filed away the BDs as a "someday in the future" purchase (without having come to realise that physical media is in it's death throes, so that "someday" may never come.)

Last edited by Lance; Yesterday at 11:24 PM.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #1656
Praetorian
Captain

If one waited a couple of months, one could easily buy each season for 60 bucks, with six months intervals between them.

I find it hard to believe one couldn't save up 10$ per month, unless we're talking about homeless people.

I think people just didn't know or didn't care enough.
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #1657
Lance
Commodore

Praetorian wrote: View Post
If one waited a couple of months, one could easily buy each season for 60 bucks, with six months intervals between them.

I find it hard to believe one couldn't save up 10$ per month, unless we're talking about homeless people.
It's just... a surprisingly harsh process-of-thought, given that no-one can put themselves into other people's financial positions, where due to one factor or another in your life, the first decision you have to make is about which of life's luxuries you go without. Put simply: not everybody can afford the outlay.

I mean, *I* own all seven seasons. Proudly. I've done my bit for the cause. But I have a regular job, and I don't have a mortgage (or a family) to consider. I can 'indulge' myself, but I don't doubt for a moment that there are people out there who have to look at their options. Especially in today's climate.

No, IMO the most likely scenario is that the kinds of people who are likely to tighten their belts are going to look at the (relatively) cheaper options available to them. It doesn't help that TNG-R has been released into a climate where optical media is dying anyway, and that it's competing against itself on streaming services. (Actually, as a point of interest, it'd be fascinating to see what the numbers are vis-a-vis how TNG has done on streaming vs blu ray sales, is there any way to get those figures?)

Of course, as you say, CBS could have done a better job promoting the benefits of the product too. There's been missed opportunities here.
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #1658
Praetorian
Captain

Yes, I agree that when faced with choice of streaming or buying the discs, many would choose the first.

Wouldn't be much a case of not having disposable income, but more of choosing the cheaper option, which is quite rational!

On that note, I wonder how well did the show do on streaming?
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #1659
Lance
Commodore

^ It'd be interesting to see the numbers for sure.

I'm still "old school" and prefer to have my media on optical disc with beautiful packaging on my shelf. In the past I've even argued the extent to which online services have taken it over. But most recently (in the last six-twelve months), even I've come to the realisation that streaming has made in-roads as an option for people. It seems to be supplanting the traditional 'home video' formats much faster than I would ever have predicted.

The TNG-R Blu Rays may have simply had the (mis?)fortune to be released during a period when optical media sales seem to be on a general decline.....
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #1660
dub
Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, we don't have any numbers like that for streaming. People have quoted "ratings" from netflix here before, but that's nothing more than people who have offered their one-click opinion of the series. It doesn't account for how much of the show they watched (if any at all) on streaming, how many episodes, how many times, how often, demographics, etc. Those are the numbers I'd love to see. Hopefully someday those will be available. And not just for Netflix.
dub is online now   Reply With Quote