Advice needed on purchase of TOS DVDs, please!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by VulKhan, Jun 8, 2009.

1. VulKhan

VulKhan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi y'all,

okay, so it's my birthday this weekend and I've put "all 3 TOS seasons on DVD" on my wishlist.

I've seen TOS in its original version on TV several times (last time, however, was at least 4 years ago), but don't have the DVDs yet. Of course I have to change that! ;)

Now, I was wondering if maybe I could get a little advice from you guys on what version to buy. I know there's the original "unpolished" one, which is the one I know. (Can you still get this version on DVD, though? :confused:), then there's the HD-DVD edition, and there are the remasters. The latest remastered version being these with the steelbook etc.:
    http://www.amazon.de/Star-Trek-Raum...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244493426&sr=1-1

So, what do you think would be best to get on DVD these days?
    The unpolished one I know so well from when it was on TV (provided you can still get it)?
    Or should it rather be the latest remasters, with better sound, added CGI effects and better and sharper picture quality? Do these still have the flare and feel of the old "raw" edition or is that all gone with the editing etc?
    I doubt I would get the HD-DVD edition, cause it's so expensive.

What do you think?

Well, your help is much appreciated, so thanks. ;)

2. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

Personally, I went with the "unpolished" sets when they were flushing them out at Walmart for around $50 per set. These are the ones I grew up with. The remastered look is ok but a little cartoony for my tastes. I don't have a big screen hi-def tv so the "unpolished" fits my needs. The "unpolished" ones are no longer being manufactured but still pop up from time to time in stores like Suncoast or in some of the online websites. I haven't checked lately because I've already got my set of all 3 seasons, the animateds, and all the movies.

3. VulKhan

Hmmm.....well, thanks, I guessed the originals aren't being produced anymore, so they might be a little hard to get. Oddly enough, you can get the at, say, amazon, on VHS.

Perhaps, I should not give anybody and hints on what version I'd prefer (everybody keeps asking me that), and just see what they come up with. *lol*
    Most likely it's gonna be the remastered in the end, cause these are available everywhere right now and are not as expensive as the HD-DVD.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Commander Red Shirt

Invest in a Blu Ray player, buy the 1st season which comes with both original and remaster. Then get the other two later this year.

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can get "like new" unopened or slightly used copies of the unremastered versions on ebay (maybe amazon marketplace, too), if you aren't about to invest in a blu-ray player.

The remastered with new effects and space scenes are cartoon-looking and seeing such shots jammed into a show that looks very 60s otherwise, is jarring.

Happy Birthday and good luck!

6. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It took me a few reads to finally realize what you meant by HD-DVD.

Do NOT buy those discs. The format has been discontinued and you won't be able to get all the episodes in that format. They only did season one.

Since HD-DVD as a format DIED Paramount stopped producing in that format, and the only high def discs that will have the whole series will be the blu-ray ones.

Also, if I understand right, the b-r discs will have both versions of the episodes (the original versions and the CGI remastered versions). If I'm wrong on that, someone correct me.

Of course, I don't know if there are SD versions on the blu-ray discs that'll play in a regular DVD player.

7. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The remastered new effects and space scenes are not cartoon-looking, and while some episodes were done better than others, none of them look terrible.

8. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I got the full series remastered on DVD. The Season One discs are HD DVD on one side and DVD on the other side. The Season Two and Season Three discs are single-sided DVDs.

9. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree on completely on both counts. Get the classic versions and save your money till they have another go at CGI and get it right.

10. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Get the original DVDs for now. Much cheaper. Then wait on blu-Ray getting cheaper, IMO.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes they do! :p

Vulkhan - definitely get the originals if you can. Failing that, I'd go with the Blue Ray idea, so you can have the original in addition to the awful, cartoony desecrations.

12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Buy the Blu-ray set.

Blu-ray players are now under $200. Also, even if you don't have an HDTV you can set the output of the Blu-ray player to work with a standard TV. That way you'll have the player and the best version of the show which is the blu-ray set.

Buy the Blu-ray set and you'll have both the original and new FX
    And both the original and 7.1 sound
    Also more bonus features than any other set by far.

Most of the new FX look great, some that they did first are a little weaker than the latter ones.

The old set (and 2-episode discs) were extremly dirty and had very poor contrast and color correction in comparison to the new restored versions.

Really it's just wasting money buying those old sets.

13. Indegato

Indegato Ensign Newbie

Awesome

14. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I change my mind. I didn't realize blu-ray players were so cheap.

Go for the blu-ray.

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Not exactly. You only get the remastered version on blu-ray. You can, however, choose between original FX or new FX. The word "remaster" has nothing to do with the special FX.

16. VulKhan

I see opinions are splitting here. *lol*

Oh dammit. It does indeed sound like the blu-ray editions are the best, but unfortunately I don't think I'll get those. We don't have a blu-ray player and my dad definitely doesn't want to get one now, even though they're under $200 as you say.
    Heck, we don't even have a TV these days. It broke down shortly before last Christmas and we haven't yet gotten a new one, so whenever we wanna watch a movie or so we now set up my dad's laptop and the projector and have kinda like a home cinema.
    slightly off-topic, I know. *lol* It's a shame.
    *sigh* Once we have a Tv again I will obviously have to talk my family into blu-ray.

I guess I will tell everyone who keeps asking me about what exactly I want, that it would be great to have the original on DVD. I doubt, however, that this will be easiy, since they're quite hard to get these days - so, maybe it can't be done and I will have to go with the latest remaster DVDs.
    Not sure....I've heard some very good things about them and then there are reviews that don't sound very promising at all.

Given the fact blu-ray is pretty much not an option for me here, the old original sets would actually me very nice....I mean, afterall they had me falling in love with Trek when I was 5 in the first place, so hell, why not just go for it.
    On the other hand, as I said, I somehow don't see it happening, so my bet is I'll end up with the remaster DVDs.
    Which is okay, too, I believe, I haven't seen them yet and have yet to make up my own mind about the CGI added etc.
    Anything's good to finally give me the chance to get a daily TOS fix again.

Thank you very much for your hints and advice everyone, I really appreciate it. What a pity I can't get those blu-ray ones, they definitely sound like the ideal edition to me.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

If I were going DVD, I wouldn't even bother with the remastered set. With the blu-ray you get the new high-definition master and both the original FX and new FX. With the DVD, you don't get the original FX, nor can you actually see the high-definition picture. It's like buying a movie in color to watch on your black and white television.

18. VulKhan

Well, so I got the first season, remastered DVD edition.
    Haven't watched it yet. I'm really curious to see what it's like. ;)