What Name did Captain Janeway’s Friends and Family Call Her?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

During most of the series we see Captain Janeway being referred to as “Captain” or “Captain Janeway.” The only exceptions that I can remember off the top of my head are when Q would call her Kathy and the few times that Chakotay called her Kathryn. What do you think her friends and family called her? I can’t remember what her fake-Admiral father from the episode Coda called her. I also can’t remember what fake Mark Johnson called her in the episode Persistence of Vision. Of course she was surely addressed by a first name basis by her on screen Voyager lovers: Kashyk (Counterpoint), Michael Sullivan (the hologram from Fair Haven and Spirit Folk), and Jaffen (Workforce Parts I and II). I can’t ever remember anyone calling her Kate, but perhaps I just forgot.

Btw, was my thread title grammatically correct / did it make sense? I couldn't figure out how to word the title! Haha!

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm suspect over the use of the word "friends" but the rest seems fine. :)

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Ghost Dad/Evil Alien called her "Kathryn" in Coda.

4. Ro_Laren

'Cause you don't think she had any or because it looked weird in the thread title? Lol!

5. Guy Gardener

I'm not saying she doesn't have friends, but she would never make friends of underlings.

Even her sometimes tender "relationship" with Chakotay is conditional since she has to one day throw him in prison if they ever have to get home.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I"m hoping someone, somewhere called her Kat. Maybe when she was a child.

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Aunt Kathy

8. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

DON'T you "Aunt Kathy" me!

9. Ro_Laren

I forgot that Q Jr. called her Kathy too! But he probably learned that from his Dad! :techman:

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Michael Sullivan called her "Katie" and the daVinci hologram called her "Katerina". Only Q and Q Junior call her "Kathy."

Most of the fiction I've read has her friends/family either calling her Kathryn or Katie.

11. teacake

I wonder though if she had herself called Katie by her holo-lover as a part of playing someone not quite herself.

12. Guy Gardener

Katie, not Kathryn was her character name in the Fairhaven holonovel.

Katie O'Clare.

From Relativity

Well, some Admiral no-one from her past could get away with calling her Katie.

The DaVinci hologram would have been talking in Italian unless Janeway instructed it to speak in English, but the Universal translator would have wrestled what he said into English.

Maybe her name was not translated from the original Italian?

13. teacake

She might be comfortable with a variety of name permutations. Or old farts calling her Katie might be a function of the old fart paternalism.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holograms still wouldn't be "friends" or "family", it's a video game.

However too answer the question, I figured her family and friends would call her "Katie" 1) as a sign of affection & 2) because they watched her grow up and usually childhood nicknames like "Katie" stick. No matter how old you get, her family and long time close friends would call her by her childhood name.

15. Guy Gardener

Lets ask the novel readers?

Other than the Mark's wife... After Voyager got home, does she interact with anyone out of uniform?

16. teacake

Chak calls her Kathryn in The Eternal Tide after she is returned to him (clothed) from the dead and takes him back into her bed.

So. Her flesh and blood lover calls her Kathryn. I think Katie is only used as a family diminutive.

17. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you're intimate with someone, would you really still call them by a formal name?
    Has the writer actually had an ongoing sexual relationship?:lol:

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I just took it as a more familiar form of her name that she would never allow anyone on the ship to use. "Kathryn" is a pretty formal-sounding name, at least to my ears.

I'm guessing Admiral Patterson was probably a special mentor/teacher Janeway had? Possibly someone who might have been friends with her father, and therefore a family friend? Speculation, I know.

"Caterina" is an Italian form of "Kathryn" - at least according to The Borgias. :p

It's not so unusual to use a foreign form of someone's name when otherwise speaking English. My RL middle name is the Swedish form of an English name, and I'd never expect anyone to refer to me by the English form. And I spent over a dozen years in the Society for Creative Anachronism. My persona in that organization is Norwegian. Even to this day there are people who know me only as "Freydis" and would never call me anything else. I answer to that name as readily as my legal, given name.

19. teacake

Sure, if that's the name they prefer. Not everyone is comfortable with their nicknames or diminutives.

Though I like this idea, perhaps it means they weren't really lovers?

20. Guy Gardener

Her children growing up are going to call her sir.