Star Trek, the Pinball, and how dumb I am

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nebusj, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I got to play the new Star Trek pinball, and it's a really fun one. It's got a beautiful play field, making good use of the color-changing LEDs that made The Wizard of Oz pinball so eye-catching; the different modes are a lot of fun, particularly because one of the multi ball modes yells out ``Klingon Jackpot'' if you get it; and the play field has nice toy models of the Enterprise and the Vengeance.

And as a result of it I only just now realized why the starship in Into Darkness was named Vengeance, so, yes, that's how slow on the uptake I am. Please enjoy laughing at me.

2. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...OK, this is not "Star Trek" related, but I bet I gotcha beat...I spent two years of my life sure the Rolling Stones were singing "Don Shula", not "Brown Shuggah"...it was during the two year Miami Dolphin domination of the NFL...

...betcha feel LOADS better now...

3. Nebusj

Ha ha! Yes, I do, and thank you for it.

4. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Happy to oblige...I still laugh at that every time I hear that song...and SO glad to hear it is not just a techno-fossil like me that still plays pinball...

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Hell, I'm not laughing. I wanna play, too.

6. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Where did you play the pinball game at?

7. Nebusj

Oh, that was at Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum, an arcade of a kind --- it's also got a lot of automata and mechanical gizmos, plus (apparently) P T Barnum's fake Cardiff Giant --- in Farmington Hills, Michigan (a suburb of Detroit).

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Shaka Zulu

You Michiganders are so lucky to have this place-here in Toronto, all of our arcades are completely gone (except for some in the nearby but separate cities of Richmond Hill and Mississauga) and I'd have to go to the arcade in Mississauga to play this game, or hope that it comes to the local multiplex that has an amusement section.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As a Michigander, while I was aware of Pinball Pete's, I had never heard of this place. I have a new place to visit one weekend!

11. Nebusj

Ooh. Ann Arbor or East Lansing Pinball Pete's?

12. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ann Arbor. Wolverine here!

13. Nebusj

Aw, man, sorry about the flooding then.

Pinball Pete's provides the machines for the Lansing pinball league, and that's a pretty fun, low-key hangout.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Um. What's pinball?

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a game you can download on Steam called "Pinball Arcade" by Williams, and in Season One of their machines, is Star Trek: The Next Generation. It is so much fun, as these machines emulate the real pinball machines from look to sound, and everything. I mean, it took me WAAAAAAAY back. You have to check it out. It's not the real thing, sure, but for those of us who are nowhere near any arcade, it's so awesome.

Here's their site: http://www.pinballarcade.com/

16. Shaka Zulu

I've got it via Steam, but be warned, if you get it this way or from the website, only the first couple of games are free as a 'free to try' type deal; you have to pay $29.99 for what they call a full season if you score above a certain point (only Arabian Nights is free.) Also, I don't think that they have the current Star Trek pinball machine yet.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  17. Nebusj

You can, at least for the iPad version, buy individual games and skip the season; I think they run something like $3.00 per game. (I've been buying the full seasons since they started offering them, though.) The game dynamics are incredibly faithful to the real world, to the point I make the same dumb mistakes on Pinball Arcade that I make on real machines. At least, real machines that are kept in pristine condition with no broken parts.

They do only (``only'') have the 1993 Next Generation pinball, though, and not the 1971, 1978, 1991, or 2013 Star Trek games. Mind, the Next Generation is pretty universally considered one of the top solid state pinball machines of all time.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been meaning to check this out. Tried once a while back but couldn't find it lol, I thought maybe it was gone but I guess I'll have to look again.

19. Nebusj

It's tricky finding. We had to cast around some time too. The catch is the arcade is tucked into the alleyway between two blocks of mall. If you find the pizza place (I think it's a California Pizza Kitchen) and look to its left, there's the alley way and a big clock signpost connecting that structure to the one beside it. Go underneath that and back like a hundred feet and you'll find it on the right.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Thanks, I don't feel as bad about not finding it now