Starfleet and San Francisco

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by T'Bonz, May 17, 2013.

1. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Hey guys, why did Roddenberry choose SF for Starfleet? Does anyone know where documentation for that is - other than Wikipedia?

I've had a query from a magazine regarding this and my own resources don't hold that info; I sure regret my recent book cull. :/

Thanks. I'll send along your name or username to the writer for whomever provides the info - that is, unless he's got it from someone else by now.

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I remember reading that Roddenberry chose San Francisco because that's where the United Nations charter was signed in 1945, but I can't remember where I read it....

:shrug:

3. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just assumed because it's hippie central.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

WAS hippie central. Now it's chinamexicohipstergaytownusa, thankyouverymuch. ;)

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It's kind of strange that Roddenberry didn't put Starfleet in Los Angeles, he lived a big chunk of his life there, and apparently liked the city.

Early on (I'm not sure when) he came up with the idea that the Enterprise was originally constructed in orbit above San Fransisco, so that might have been the start of the idea.

Maybe it was part of the process of repudiating Franz Joseph's ideas, FJ placed Starfleet HQ in a space station in interstellar space, iirc FJ put the Federation government there too.

:)

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The dedication plaque on the bridge of the TOS Enterprise listed San Francisco as either its construction site or where the ship was commissioned.

It might not have been much of a stretch to place Starfleet Headquarters there too.

7. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because it's where the UN was founded (as 1001001 mentioned), and also it was where the troops shipped out for WW2 in the Pacific.

Source.

8. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Until 1974 it was the site of the 638-acre US Navy Shipyards, possibly the largest in the world. If you were looking for a locale to tie a wild sci fi series to earth, and give it a nautical flavor, too, where else would you go? (I mean, other than Riverside, Iowa.)

9. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

San Francisco historically had a huge naval presence up untli the late 70's. With both Mare Island naval shipyard (now closed except for some civilian work). The huge San Francisco Navy Yards at Hunters Point (also now closed). And the Naval Air Station and port facilities at Alameda. Now also closed except as a tourist attraction with the WW2 carrier USS Hornet.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That's what I had heard as well, though I can't rememer where either.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where they keep the nuclear wessels, of course.

12. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OT but it was announced today that Dallas, my home, is getting a nuclear wessel. The nuclear attack submarine USS Dallas is to be retired next year and the city wants it for a maritime museum. We're 200 miles from the Gulf of Mexico for crying out loud!

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Can you think of a better hiding place for a nuclear sub? Not as cool as Atragon's, of course, but it'll do.

14. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then again it was the 60's a time of Peace & Love, flower power etc. and San Francisco was the epicenter? When the show was filmed.

15. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Even in 1966?

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The hippie movement in San Francisco can be traced back to 1965, if not earlier.

17. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Thanks.

18. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The importance of San Francisco as a major center of naval activity and ship construction was almost certainly the reason for choosing it as the site of Starfleet headquarters.

From TMOST:
    The "Summer of Love," which brought the hippie movement into the public consciousness, occurred in 1967.

19. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

OK, we know that Enterprise was constructed at San Fransisco, based on the dedication plaque, and that goes back to the very beginning of the series. But IIRC there's nothing in TOS itself that says San Fransisco is the site of Starfleet Command, right? As far as I know, that wasn't established until TMP. Or is there something in TMoST that mentions this?