How about a DW spin off akin to SJA?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Dec 1, 2014.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Hmm.. this forum intrigues me, so many open and Brilliant minded people. I was pondering a question. I am not as enthusiastic about an American Doctor as with another thread discussion here, so much as interested in a possible spin off series.. I think it would be magnificent, and could tie into Doctor who, like the Sarah Jane adventures.. there is one man, of history, who has the memories of the Doctor and could conceivably create time travel technology, and would make for an interesting show indeed. not to mention crossing over with Doctor Who villains, and aliens..

I would give it this title.. and use the same actor.

Jackson Lake, Time Traveler! (from the next doctor special)

His memories, unlike Donna Noble are still intact, and in a difference of his data is not too much for his head, as he doesn't have a biological metacrisis transfer, so much as a knowledge boost of the best kind, time lord memories! Specifically the ability to understand, and comprehend the principles of Time and space travel. I presume they are still in his head, and maybe, just maybe over time, he learned how to access them and create a ship.. now that would be pretty cool to watch. It could have Rosita, his son, and maybe a few other passengers, as they are lost in time, like lost in space.. each adventure runs them into some connection to Doctor who, while also being able to run them across other creatures, and maybe on an occasion the ability to traverse new worlds, and come full circle and run back into the Doctor. It should have a very Jules Verne, and H.G. Wells feel with some cool flash Gordon type serial retro sci fi feel thrown in for good measure. What say you all?

I say for the finale, they do a season story arc lead up to the origin of Absolom Daak Dalek Killer!! :techman:

BBC, please take note!

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Not much of a spin off really. Just a low rent Doctor. If he's traveling time and space, there's not much difference, just window dressing.
    Now, if it was Jackson Lake tackling adventures on Earth, then I'm interested.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Oddly this topic reminds me of an artist image of a verison of Sherlok Holmes set in both the Doctor Who universe as well as I think tied to the League of Extrodinary Gentlement. Set in the 1899. Along with a rather old Jackson Lake you have Sherlock and Watson, the Paternoster Gang, Leela (sent out by Romana and the Sixth Doctor it seem), H.G. Wells, Jack Harkness (recently drafted into Torchwood), Jango and Lightfoot, as well as sometimes both the Second and Eleveth Doctors.

http://paulhanley.deviantart.com/art/The-Baker-Street-Justice-Society-306530340

4. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

actually, I would prefer the episodes be set on earth, in the past or future, or even present day. What I should have said was travel to other planets may be either accidental, or future hitch hiking on a ship, or accidental transfer via space time bridges like something akin to that of John Carter, or something or other.. end up on mars, or a human base colony space station.. etc..

I would love to see Jackson lake traveling into the far future for an episode, and then maybe in the far past.. covering the classic era Egypt, or renaissance france, or Romans, or Greeks.. Ancient China, or even Japan. I could see episodes with Gaelic England stories, the Celts, and so on.. maybe even an Arthurian adventure. dinosaurs, and Silurians.. with so many historical enemies of the Doctor, it would be cool to see some episodes that would tie into the classic Who series and picks up with Jackson lake coming in to mop up..maybe picking up where the classic Doctor left off..could be fun and with Jackson's son being along for the ride, it would take the basic original premise of the classic Who back to historical stories of education, and could also be kid friendly like that of SJA.. with some episodes focused on kids, or teen angst and morality lessons of life, love, and honor.. Whatcha think? :confused:

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Does David Morrissey get a say in this? ;)

I'd agree with others, it would feel like a low rent version of Doctor Who, both SJA and Torchwood were quite different from the parent show. A Paternoster gang show would be more likely.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I like that idea. Unlikely to ever happen though.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The only spinoff I would be interested in watching would be a series about the Tesselecta.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I can't stand David Morrissey, so I'd really rather not see Jackson Lake agin.

I'd like to see some spinoff that could feature the kids from SJA, Jo Grant and family, Captain Jack, River Song and any of the old characters they could fit in. A revolving cast could work...

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Paternoster Gang. They're the ones that need a spinoff. They could shoot on the Ripper Street standing sets - and have a crossover...

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

While I'm not sold on the idea of a Paternoster Gang spin-off (though I might, if Gatiss handles it, based on "The Crimson Horror" and his first Lucifer Box novel), I agree that the Ripper Street sets should be used and would make it an affordable proposition.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Lucifer Box -

‘He was an American, so it only seemed fair to shoot him.'

Priceless...

:)

12. Allyn Gibson

I would love to see an Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer series. It's unlikely to happen, but I'd enjoy the heck out of it.

What I would really like to see is a spin-off that's more than "Doctor Who without the Doctor." Which is what this "Jackson Lake" series sounds like it would be, what Torchwood was, what Sarah Jane was.

I think I would go the Deep Space Nine route -- create a setting and a bunch of characters, have the Doctor as a character in their story in the pilot, and when the Doctor leaves, maybe after mucking things up, the series carries on. What that setting might be and who those characters are I have no idea. The Paternoster Gang would fit that paradigm.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not interested at all in seeing Jackson Lake ever again. Overall, I don't feel the need for a spinoff. If they were to do one, my preference would be an anthology series where we revisit different companions and even past Doctors. That will never happen because of the expense of all new settings/sets as well the fact that outside the new programme, there are very few widely known characters that could be brought back.

Other than that, picking some previous companion would be my next thought. My interest would depend on who they picked. The Paternoster Gang might be alright. Although, I could see them growing tiresome quickly as well.

Mr Awe

14. Ithekro

The Deep Space Nine reference reminds me that there was a station in Doctor Who called the Wheel. It was were the 2nd Doctor stopped an invasion of the Cybermen and where they picked up Zoe. She was sent back there by the Timelords with no memory of what she did with the Doctor after leaving the first time, arriving back only a moment after the TARDIS left. A series set there following the fallout of the Cyberman invasion and other issues as Earth starts to expand into space might be something.

15. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

RTD thought of a Rose spinoff or special at one point. I think it was called Rose Tyler: Earth Defense. But he scrapped that pretty quickly and did Torchwood and SJA instead.

Terry Nation also briefly tried to get a Daleks TV show started (This is probably why the Daleks are largely absent for a few years during the Troughton/Pertwee eras)

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not exactly. Torchwood and SJA would have happened anyway, RTD was real into doing spin-offs, feeling they should milk the Doctor Who franchise for all it was worth. But it was while writing Army of Ghosts/Doomsday that he felt having Rose return as a regular would ruin the impact her emotional farewell. Cue the one-liners of "her return a couple of years later did that" or "the Doctor moping over her after she left did that."

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't know what to say about that...

But Rose would have known what to say:weep:

18. Ithekro

That would have made it four series in parallel heading to the fourth Doctor Who series finale together. It would have spoiled the mystery of why Rose was showing up in Donna's run as companion.

What about a series following the Master/Missy?

19. Allyn Gibson

Rose Tyler: Earth Defence was only ever to be a one-off film special. RTD realized it was one step too far; yes, it would have starred a fan-favorite character, but it would also have been little more than Torchwood on an alternate Earth.

I don't think showing that Rose was working with Pete's World's Torchwood would have ruined the mystery of Rose in Series 4 if had been made.

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If we got a spin off, I'd rather have one aimed at adult audiences as opposed to younger ones because children watch Doctor Who as well, but for some people Doctor Who can be a little bit too family friendly. So basically I'd like another Torchwood.