Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Mar 13, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's not make a drama out of a crisis...
    OK, let's do it anyway: "Doomed! Doomed! They're all doomed!!!!"

More seriously, this is hopefully an indication that the BBC in London are finally reading Cardiff the riot act over all the delays.

3. StCoop

Except the person responsible for the delays gets to keep his job.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Don't panic Captain Mainwaring!!!

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

So first Beth Willis and now Caroline Skinner. Huh. I wonder what happened...I did read the article, I guess they got into some kind of argument or disagreement?

6. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

^Unlikely to be anything like that - if it was Moff's scripts that were the source of the problem, and Skinner had a go at him for that, you'd expect him to be the one quitting, not her. More likely, Skinner wanted Moff to take the show in a certain direction, he refused, and she decided that she'd rather quit than continue to be at odds with her show-runner.

(EDIT: Was originally re diankra.)

7. StCoop

Except that when it comes down to a choice between the two the BBC would consider him the indispensible one. They already allowed Series 7 to be split over two years because he needed time to work on 'Sherlock' as well, costing them millions in overseas/merchandise sales.

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Her leaving couldn't reduce the rate of production any more, and could possibly speed it up. So, it's not bad news, potentially good.

Mr Awe

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe she's been forced to quit before it's revealed she's a Rutan or a Zygon?

10. Jim Gamma

Yeah, but if it's London reading Cardiff the riot act (as diankra suggests), then it's Moffat they're angry with, not Skinner. No point in her quitting if there's no-one angry with her.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I disagree, the BBC has shown itself more than capable of getting shot of people who were to troublesome or too costly in the past. Nobody is indespensible, not even Moffat.

12. Mr Awe

JimGamma, even though Moffat may be slow with the scripts, that doesn't exclude the possibility that there are additional problems which could be Skinner related.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Exactly, although that doesn't fit with some who believe SM is the antichrist ;)

14. Jim Gamma

Mr Awe, this might surprise you, but I'm actually agreeing - hence "if it was Moff's scripts that were the source of the problem, and Skinner had a go at him for that, you'd expect him to be the one quitting, not her." I'm basically saying that I don't think the source of the problem was the delays in Moffat's scripts, because if it was, we would be seeing Moffat leaving, not Skinner.

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling that someday there's going to be a tell-all book about the Moffat/Smith era that puts that JNT bio to shame.

16. StCoop

But nobody is saying she was fired. She quit.

The BBC have made their willingness to give Moffat a lot of leeway pretty clear over the past two years.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, if London really is pissed with Cardiff and knows where the issue is, then quitting gets Skinner out of a bad situation and putting Penhale in charge sends a message to Moffat that he needs to get his fecal matter together.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But is it a case that she jumped before she was pushed? Is it that she felt she could no longer work with Moffat or is it some other reason; hell given she's moving to London this might even be a family related decision that has bugger all to do with Moffat/Who :shrug:

19. Mr Awe

Actually, given the amount of dialog and compressed nature of the Moffat's stories (lots of story in an episode) for both Sherlock and Who, I wouldn't be surprised if his scripts are longer than the typical script for similar length episodes. Plus, the thought and editting that goes into making a full script as compact as possible must take considerable extra time.

Mr Awe

20. Mr Awe

Gotcha! :techman: I was reacting more to your other post.

Mr Awe