Every Star Trek Blueprint in existence!?!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by sojourner, Oct 2, 2008.

1. PyroJockey

PyroJockey Ensign Red Shirt

I didn't see any plans for the Type-15 Shuttlepod from TNG...

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Hey all. Can't remember the thread that asked for them, so I figured I'd post here; as good a place as any considering the topic, I guess. Someone was asking for the little-known "Star Fleet Enginery 2188 - 2264" chart from 1990 by E. Gita Karlutsas. I apologize for the poor quality, I don't have a large enough piece of glass to flatten it, nor do I have a hi-res camera better than an iPhone, and it's too big to put on my scanner. In any case, I do have it and I was able to dig it up. Here it is - a rare piece of Trek blueprinting history. Enjoy!

P.S. - If anyone can remind me where the original request came from, I can post there as well.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you! :) I never knew this was ever made and its very informative for the 2200-2269 era of Ship design :)

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Patrin-Zero

Patrin-Zero Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Perhaps a wish-list should be started in a different thread to see post-broadcast ST:TOS starships and related materials done up in classic Franz Josef style.

I for one would enjoy seeing the Federation B-Class Way Station done in such a way.

[​IMG]

6. Kaiser

Any updates to that site soon?

7. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Where did they come from?, I saw them around
    Did you know they are the real plans that they used on the tv show. I like them.

8. Jag2112

Jag2112 Commander Red Shirt

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice! Does anyone have any opinions on how accurate these plans are to the original model?

10. Kaiser

Thank you! =D

Woah I bet these took a long time to make o0

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, the tower is the wrong shape, and the "bin" hanging off the back of the main disc is arguably inaccurate, since the Douglas space station model used to make it didn't have a bullet shaped end like that, as seen here:

[​IMG]

12. Jag2112

As the illustrator indicated, "These plans are based on the model built by Greg Jein for the Deep Space Nine episode, Trials and Tribble-ations. Both Doug Drexler and John Eaves put some excellent photos of that model on their blogs, providing me with some very good external views to work from. Greg's version of K-7 had a sharper look to the saucer edges, whereas the K-7 version in the digitally remastered series had a more bulbous look that I wasn't keen on, even though it more closely resembled the original 1967 model. "

13. Tallguy

Hmmm. But it looks like this does:
    http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x15/TOS_2x13_TheTroubleWithTribbles0037-Trekpulse.jpg

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Now, ya know something, that got me looking, and I think I figured it out. I blew up the contrast on the following...
    [​IMG]
    ...and what it looks like they did was stick some cylinder/possible bullet shaped (probably found) object on the end of the boxy connector. Jein's DS9 model replaces the boxy bit with a thick curved rib, so even if the bullet shape is correct, his model's still inaccurate around the boxy portion.

Now, one other curiosity...
    [​IMG]
    Now, I'm fairly certain this is the original because:
    • Jein's model has the towers curved (again, bulletish), whereas the original's towers are more conical
    • Jein's model are a pronounced rounded "turtleneck" around the base of the main tower
    • Jein's model lines the "bullet" object over the arm with the bluish topped tower, but the TOS model has to rotated slightly back from that arm
    • The antenna details seem to differ from Jein's model (I checked against candid non-fx photos of the Jein's model)
    Something I do find curious is that the hangar opening in this photo appears to be lined up under the arm to the right, but that's not the case on either the TOS or DS0 shots. Soooo, could parts of the model be rotated?

15. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's my take on K-7, based more on the original source model than Jein's version;
    however, I did keep his "collar" detail, as it made sense to me as part of the clamshell hull feature.

You can't see the "rabbit ear" antennas in these shots, but they're there. Bad "matte" work, I guess...

M.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jag2112

17. Kaiser

Thank You :)

18. Tallguy

Love that ship.

19. Jag2112