Trek movies calling back to other Trek movies

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by JonnyQuest037, Dec 14, 2014.

1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I recently saw this exchange in another thread:

This made me realize that there were a lot of instances of the Trek movies referencing the previous movies, rather than the series, probably because they were more recent in memory to casual fans. So I thought it might be cool to create a list of times where the movies called back to themselves (I know that some of these were referenced in subsequent series as well, but I thought it'd be simpler to keep it confined to the films).

Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:

-"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." (Established in TWOK, brought back in TSFS & TVH)
    -The Kobayashi Maru test (Established in TWOK, referenced in TUC and ST '09)
    -Scotty referred to as "The Miracle Worker" (Established in TSFS, referenced in TVH)
    -Romulan Ale (Established in TWOK & referenced in TUC & NEM; in TOS, it was usually Saurian Brandy)
    -"You lied." "I exaggerated." (Established in TWOK, called back to several times within TUC)

Can anyone think of any more?

2. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Kirks glasses that McCoy bought him in TWOK making an appearance in TVH.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

David Marcus' death in The Search for Spock is referenced in The Undiscovered Country.

4. JonnyQuest037

I was thinking more lines of dialogue than plot elements, folks. Obviously, when you're doing a sequel, it's natural to repeat some stuff from the previous movies.

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always got a vague feeling that one of Kirk's lines in Rura Penthe during St:6 harkened back to his cryptic reflection on the cliff climbing scene in ST:5

6. EFeigenbaum

EFeigenbaum Cadet Newbie

Talking about referencing earlier Trek, in Star Trek V, Kirk states that he had a brother once and I was all set for him to mention his real brother but, instead, he says that it's Spock. I was very disappointed with that.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there a piece of Dialoge in Undiscovered Country like this:

Kirk: Once Again we've saved civilization as we know it

McCoy: And this time they're not going to Prosecute

8. Dude111

Dude111 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes what an amzing collection of things noticed in this thread!

9. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, then McCoy actually does hearken back to the series by teasing Spock about "Having feelings".

10. enterprisecvn65

enterprisecvn65 Captain Captain

You mean when a 55 year old William Shatner was freeclimbing El Capitian?:lol::lol::lol:

I know Shatner wanted himself to look like the ubermench, but jeez you think he'd know the line where it was just ridiculous to show the feat he was doing. Why not just strap him in a harness and have him tow an aircraft carrier while jogging by the sea. It has about the same amount of realism of him free climbing El Cap.

11. enterprisecvn65

Well Zefram Cochrane did say "So you're on some kind of Star Trek" in First Contact.

I'd say that pretty much references everything that has ever been associated with the Star Trek franchise.

12. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about the deleted GEN scene of an even older Kirk orbital skydiving?

13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was also referenced in TSFS in Kirk's communicator code:

"Unit 2, this is Unit 1. The Kobayashi Maru has set sail for the Promised Land."

14. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There probably are a few 55 year old freeclimbers around. They probably don't have a jet-boot Spock around to catch them if they fall.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I thought I did, but it turned out to be a homeless man on rollerskates.

16. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God bless you, stinking bum!

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They're our unsung heroes.

18. JonnyQuest037

:techman: Nice catch! I'd forgotten that one, as it's been a while since I've watched TSFS.

19. enterprisecvn65

That one I could buy on some level. George Bush the elder did a few skydives in his 80's and really all you have to fall and remember to pull your rip cord, although the landing might be hard on your knees. Doesn't exactly require tip top physical shape.

But free climbing El Cap? Even among world class rock climbers today there are only a handful that would even attempt such a thing. And it usually takes skilled climbers using safety equipment a few days to get to the top and they actually sleep in hanging tents.

Seriously it's easier to climb to the top of Mt. Everest. Regular people, some in their 60's have made it. If you tackle El Cap you'd better be a bona fide expert who knows exactly what they are doing or you are going to die, safety equipment or not.

20. enterprisecvn65

I don't know for sure one way or the other, but it seems to be all the freeclimbers I've seen are early 30's at their oldest and they either seem to retire or die after that point. I'm sure some make it into their 40's or maybe even 50's but the rocks they're climbing by then are a lot less challenging than El Cap.