World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

2. indranee

basically, the main problem comes down to "why are we not seeing the conception of the original crew of the original show (TOS) who go about creating the original canon"?

I sympathize with this pov and this complaint, guys, but only up to a point. I've seen the movie, and I loved it. I'm an "original" fan. and I loved it.

I'm prepared for all that may come... all that which I do not know of. To me, Star Trek -- aside from its exploration of the human condition -- is about exploring "strange new worlds".

I'm ready for the new world.

bring it on.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Except that it can't be, since these are different characters in a different context; whatever character development and relationships they may portray, it won't be the history of the characters we know.

I agree to an extent. It looks like they got enough of it right to make me really disappointed that they didn't apply all that effort to the original Trek characters.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I would never want to spoil your giggling and posturing, Dennis, but feel free to use complete sentences, and possibly even paragraphs, if you have any actual thoughts to share. :D

They sure do. They understand that the anticipated success of this movie rests on all the Trek being mainstreamed out of it. You did get the joke, right? ;)

5. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

That was brilliant - they've obviously trawled both this place and TrekMovie.com to get a feel for all of the "IT'S NOT CANON!!!!!!1" arguments between fans. The "endless debates of interstellar diplomacy" part especially made me laugh.

The letter at the end was good too - looking at the part that wasn't highlighted, I could see something like "as the film ages over the years, the special effects become more dated and the plot holes to nitpick become clearer, we are sure it will take its rightful place in the canon." in there.

Mind you, things like this have come to mainstream awareness more often since the entire "Greedo shot first" debacle...

6. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Is there any indication of Winona Kirk's position on the Kelvin at the time of James' birth? Is she actually enlisted in Starfleet? And where is George Kirk Jr. during these events, shouldn't he be with his parents?

7. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Commodore Commodore

I'd disagree with that quite a bit:-

TMP -

A total exploration of the human condition, questioning what it is to be human and what it is to exist.

TWOK -

An exploration of age, regrets in life and the conflict of reason and logic vs emotion (not in Spock, but rather in Khan).

TSFS -

An exploration of the principle of putting your friends and family before your own personal interests.

TVH - Ok, perhaps a more obvious morality play on the question of the enviroment. To me its actually the weakest of the TOS movies in terms of a "Star Trek" message.

TFF - Some excellent exploration of what it takes to be a human being.

TUC - Well, the message is, as you point out, the soviet block analogy.

I agree that the TNG movies did let the side down and the morality play was put aside. Yet there are still some attempt to address the spirit of Star Trek stories of old, from the optimism of adventuring into space for the first time in FC, to the exploration of the extent to which life experiences influence who we are as people in Nemesis.

8. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Commodore Commodore

Well, lets hope that she wasn't just a family member 'cause families were only on starships in Picard's era, right? Canon breach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Try "a really superficial repeating back-and-forth of drivel so pretentious that maharishi mahesh yogi would have been embarrassed to traffick in it." College sophomore let's-get-stoned-and-profound stuff.

And TUC never rises above the level of humorless parody (a genre that Star Trek may have all to itself). "We need a 'Chernobyl' so we'll blow up a moon! He's supposed to be Gorbachev so we'll call him 'Gorkon!'" Give me a fucking break.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit to actually enjoying both films, but I know that they are full of faults, particularly the egos of those in charge. TMP, Roddenberry. TUC, Meyer. Both pretentious in their own not-so-subtle way.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

I enjoy ST:TMP a lot, TUC not so much (okay, not at all). The former is very pretty to look at and has some other compensations for its deep flaws; the latter has none.

12. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

TMP was gorgeous on the big screen, but it was a complete rehash of The Changeling with a lot of "we paid a shitton of money for these effects so we're going to show them intercut with the cast gaping at the screen" shots.

TUC was a very predictably familiar whodunnit. The way they found out whodunnit was lifted almost word for word from an episode of M*A*S*H with a Scooby Doo reveal. I do wish they kept the canon of Klingon Blood looking like Strawberry Quick. Nick Meyer for all his apparent flaws stated on this board, really played up the Hornblower in Space element that Star Trek sorely needed on the big screen. It was an enjoyable last romp for the original stars and refreshing after the dud (albeit still guilty pleasure) that was V.

Big screen Trek was never as heavy handed about the "morality plays" as the television series was. None of the movies focused as much on that as they did on the spectacle. I don't expect that from this new film.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

14. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

He has and I will enjoy debating that after the movie has been released to the general public.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

No it wasn't; aside from trivializing any real issues involved, it was a day late and a dollar short.

I mean, did some trek fans not read the papers or not think about what was going on in the world unless it was pre-chewed for them in a Star Trek movie? What could this movie possibly have contributed, otherwise, to one's understanding of or thinking about the collapse of the Soviet Union and associated events?

Stupid murder mystery, was all it was.

16. indranee

well, at least TMP had a sublime first half. one I enjoy watching many times over. the second half? not so much.

17. The Super Brando

The Super Brando Commander Red Shirt

An alien villain from the future goes through a time warp black hole in his giant squid spaceship. The giant alien spaceship has an outerspace battle with a spaceship from an interstellar civilization.

Then the alien villian shoots an energy beam to the core of an alien planet and deposits a science fictional substance which creates a black hole singularity.

The interstellar civilization sends their own technologically advanced spaceship out to stop him. They use warp speed, energy weapons, transporters, and another friendly alien from the future to aid themselves in stopping him by consuming his ship in a black hole.

Sounds like a scifi movie to me. I don't think I've seen that plot on Law & Order.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  18. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL @ myself. For all of you who endured my whining about blowing up Vulcan and whatnot, and my statement that might not see the movie, I have to tell on myself. I went out at lunch today and got tickets for the Thurs night 7:00 PM showing.

I just couldn't stand it. :lol: I know overall I'm gonna like it, I just hope I can get past this whole Vulcan thing.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

CSI, on the other hand... :lol:

There's at least as much science fictional content in this one as there is in the aforementioned ST:TMP; honestly, despite Roddenberry's allegedly brandishing an Asimov article on the subject of "living machines" at a recalcitrant studio exec, TMP never gives a moment's consideration to what that term might mean or imply - it's just a grand-sounding label to make V'Ger sound like something more special than the enormous plot convenience that it is.

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, they could've done this to make it topical, but I don't know how it would've improved the movie:
    Nero could've thought he could get a weakened Federation to declare war on the Romulan Empire. A war he believed the Romulans would eventually win. But what happens instead is his great act of terror is revolting to the Romulans, who revile the act and respond by offering aid to their surviving Vulcan cousins (with Spock Prime becoming the diplomatic go-between). Ultimately, Nero's act served no purpose other than to forever link his name with genocide and actually draw the Romulans and Vulcans closer. Maybe too heavy for a summer movie.

But, as it is, the movie does have a theme: it's about fate and fulfilling a destiny. After all, as Spock Prime once said to his Kirk, "Commanding a starship is your first best destiny. Anything else is a waste of material."