sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Could you list those 43? Because that seems like a surprisingly high number. Are these all confirmed shows, or some that are just in the pilot stage?

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Those are shows that have aired this season or that will air in the rest of the season and through the summer. It doesn't include pilots or anything in development for the 2014/2015 season. Actually it's 46. I had missed three in my earlier count.

Here's the list in order of the season airing in the 2013/2014 season and summer 2014 (again these are just the live action one-hour shows produced for North American outlets - if you include UK shows and half-hour shows the number is even greater):

9th season

Supernatural (CW)

7th season

True Blood (HBO, final season)

5th season

The Listener (CTV, air date TBA)
    The Vampire Diaries (CW)
    Warehouse 13 (Syfy, final season)

4th season

Being Human (Syfy, final season)
    Falling Skies (TNT)
    Game of Thrones ( HBO)
    Haven (Syfy)
    Lost Girl (Syfy/Showcase)
    The Walking Dead (AMC)

3rd season

American Horror Story (FX)
    Continuum (Syfy/Showcase)
    Grimm (NBC)
    Once Upon a Time (ABC)
    Person of Interest (CBS)
    Teen Wolf (MTV, season 4 likely starts this summer)

2nd season

Arrow (CW)
    Beauty and the Beast (CW)
    Da Vinci’s Demons (Starz)
    Defiance (Syfy)
    Hemlock Grove (Netflix, release date TBA)
    Orphan Black (BBC America)
    Revolution (NBC)
    Under the Dome (CBS)

1st season

The 100 (CW)
    Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
    Almost Human (Fox)
    Believe (NBC)
    Bitten (Syfy/Space)
    Dracula (NBC)
    From Dusk till Dawn: The Series (El Rey)
    Helix (Syfy)
    Intelligence (CBS)
    The Last Ship (TNT)
    Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (ABC)
    The Originals (CW)
    Penny Dreadful (Showtime)
    Ravenswood (ABC Family, cancelled)
    Resurrection (ABC)
    Salem (WGN)
    Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
    Star-Crossed (CW)
    The Strain (FX)
    The Tomorrow People (CW)
    Witches of East End (Lifetime)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. Christopher

Wow... I never imagined there'd be a time when I'd be interested in only about a third of the genre shows on the air in a given season. But then I never imagined there'd be over 40 of them at once(-ish). Of course, a few of those are on channels I don't get.

Of course, only a bit over a third of those shows are science fiction rather than fantasy:

Falling Skies
    Continuum
    Person of Interest
    Arrow
    Beauty and the Beast
    Defiance (albeit with some mystical elements)
    Orphan Black
    Revolution
    The 100
    Agents of SHIELD (borderline)
    Almost Human
    Helix
    Intelligence
    The Last Ship
    Star-Crossed
    The Tomorrow People (borderline)

And maybe Believe -- the description on Wikipedia doesn't make clear whether it'll lean more toward fantasy or SF.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Arrow has elements of Science Fiction?

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

so far, e.g.:
    -earthquake machine
    -miracle drug giving super-strength
    -the accident giving The Flash his powers was apparently shown on-screen

6. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Plus it was very telling that CW sacrificed Star Crossed to the Olympics but held out The 100 until March. They are clearly higher on the one over the other. That being said I'm still holding out some hope that there's room for both The 100 and Tomorrow People on their schedule for next year

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Syfy has bought the rights to Metal Hurlant Chronicles, a half-hour Franco-Belgian anthology show based on Metal Hurlant (Heavy Metal in the US). It will premiere on Syfy in April. Here's the trailer:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F7JBGJ5LF-E[/yt]

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw that news a day or two ago. This makes me happy, I've been curious about the show since I first heard about it a year or two ago. My interest is mainly due to the cast, I've never read the comics, and only made it about 15 or 20 minutes into the movie before I turned it off.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Deadline reports that Jonathan Rhys-Davies has joined the cast of Hieroglyph:

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Annnddddd...There's another reason look forward to this one :bolian::bolian:

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Indeed. I've loved him since Sliders.

Okay, thank you. Now that you mention it, I've heard of one of those.

Now that's mighty interesting. They'll probably have to water it down, but Sciffy has been pushing the envelope lately.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, they did do Nude Vegas after all.

14. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Network Pilot Watch 2014

i just wanted to put these all in one place. I looked over the list of pilots at deadline.com, and these are the SF/F genre pilots they currently have listed in contention at the broadcast networks.

ABC

CLEMENTINE
    Drama
    STUDIO: ABC Studios
    TEAM: Dean Georgaris (w, ep), Ilene Staple (ep), Mark Gordon (ep), Nick Pepper (ep), Michael Dinner (d)
    LOGLINE: A habitual criminal digs into the mystery of her origins after she becomes the target of a group of zealots who fear she possesses latent supernatural abilities that she will one day harness for either profound good or monstrous evil.
    CAST: Sarah Snook, Mykelti Williamson, David Strathairn, Edwin Hodge, Kevin Alejandro, Kathleen Munroe, Nick Gehlfuss

FOREVER
    Drama
    STUDIO: Warner Bros TV
    TEAM: Matthew Miller (w, ep), Dan Lin (ep), Jennifer Gwartz (ep)
    LOGLINE: Dr. Henry Morgan is New York City’s star medical examiner, but what no one knows is Henry studies the dead for a reason: He is immortal. With the help of detective Jo Martinez, the show peels back the layers of Henry’s colorful and long life through their cases.
    CAST: Ioan Gruffudd, Judd Hirsch

THE VISITORS
    Drama
    STUDIO: ABC Studios
    TEAM: Dawn Olmstead (ep), Soo Hugh (w, ep) Darryl Frank (ep), Justin Falvey (ep), Steven Spielberg (ep), Mark Romanek (d)
    LOGLINE: Based on a Ray Bradbury short story, it chronicles the race against the clock to defeat an unseen alien enemy out to destroy the world using our most precious resource against us.
    CAST: Lily Rabe, Barry Sloane, Derek Webster, Milo Ventimiglia, Kyle Harrison Breitkopf, Catalina Denis

CBS

EXTANT
    Drama
    PICKED UP DIRECT TO SERIES FOR SUMMER
    STUDIO: CBS TV Studios
    TEAM: Steven Spielberg (ep), Greg Walker (ep), Mickey Fisher (ep), Brooklyn Weaver (ep), Justin Falvey (ep), Darryl Frank (ep), Adam Rodin (co-ep)
    LOGLINE: An astronaut returns home from a yearlong solo mission in space and tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.
    CAST: Halle Berry

The CW

THE FLASH
    Drama
    STUDIO: Warner Bros Television
    TEAM: Greg Berlanti (w, ep), Andrew Kreisberg (w, ep), Geoff Johns (w), David Nutter (d, ep), Melissa Kellner Berman (co-ep)
    LOGLINE: Barry Allen is a Central City assistant police forensics investigator who arrives in Starling to look into a series of unexplained robberies that may have a connection to a tragedy in his past. A comic book fanboy, Barry is obsessed with the Arrow unaware that working with Oliver and Felicity to solve the crime has brought him right into the dangerous world of the vigilante.
    CAST: Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, Rick Gosnett, Danielle Panabaker, Candice Patton, Carlos Valdes, Tom Cavanaugh, John Wesley Shipp, Michelle Harrison

iZOMBIE
    Drama
    STUDIO: Warner Bros. Television
    TEAM: Rob Thomas (w, ep), Diane Ruggiero (w, ep), Danielle Stokdyk (ep), Dan Etheridge (ep)
    LOGLINE: A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.
    CAST: Malcolm Goodwin, Alexandra Krosney, David Anders

THE MESSENGERS
    Drama
    STUDIO: CBS TV Studios
    TEAM: Basil Iwanyk (ep), Eoghan O’Donnell (w, co-ep), Kent Kubena (ep) Ava Jamshidi
    LOGLINE: When a mysterious object crashes down to Earth, a group of seemingly unconnected strangers dies from the energy pulse. But then they awaken to learn that they have been deemed responsible for preventing the impending apocalypse.
    CAST: Sofia Black-D’Elia, Joel Courtney

SUPERNATURAL: TRIBES (backdoor pilot)
    Drama
    STUDIO: Warner Bros Television
    TEAM: Andrew Dabb (w, ep), Eric Kripke (ep), Robert Singer (ep), Jeremy Carver (ep), McG (ep), Robert Singer (d)
    LOGLINE: Explores the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.
    CAST: Nathaniel Buzolic, Lucien Laviscount, Sean Faris

Fox

LAST MAN ON EARTH
    Comedy (single camera)
    [i[ORDERED STRAIGHT TO SERIES[/i]
    STUDIO: 20th TV
    TEAM: Will Forte (w, ep), Phil Lord (d, ep), Chris Miller (d, ep), Seth Cohen (ep)
    LOGLINE: A stranger who becomes the last human on Earth.
    CAST: Will Forte

GOTHAM (expected to go to series)
    Drama
    TEAM: Bruno Heller (w, ep), Danny Cannon (d)
    LOGLINE: Explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon from the Batman comics and films — who is still a detective and has yet to meet Batman — and the villains who made Gotham City famous.
    CAST: Ben McKenzie, Donal Logue, Robin Lord Taylor, Zabryna Guevara, Sean Pertwee, Erin Richards

HIEROGLYPH
    Drama
    ORDERED STRAIGHT TO SERIES FOR NEXT SEASON; 13 EPISODES
    STUDIO: 20th Century Fox TV
    TEAM: Travis Beacham (w, ep), Peter Chernin (ep), Katherine Pope (ep), Miguel Sapochnik (d, ep)
    LOGLINE: A notorious thief is plucked from prison to serve the Pharoah, navigating palace intrigue, seductive concubines, criminal underbellies and even a few divine sorcerers.
    CAST: Reece Ritchie, Kelsey Chow, Condola Rashad, John Rhys-Davies

NBC

BABYLON FIELDS
    Drama
    STUDIO: 20th Century Fox TV
    TEAM: Michael Cuesta (ep, d), Gerald Cuesta (w, ep), Michael Atkinson (w, ep)
    LOGLINE: The dead are rising in Babylon, NY, and as a result, lives are regained, old wounds are reopened and families are restored — for better or worse. The newly regenerated bodies are healing faster and growing stronger than anyone else, leading to the suspicion that they might be the next step in human evolution.
    CAST: Meagan Good, Skeet Ulrich

CONSTANTINE
    Drama
    TEAM: Daniel Cerone (w, ep), David S. Goyer (w, ep), Neil Marshall (d)
    LOGLINE: Based on the characters in DC Comics’ stories about John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.
    CAST: Matt Ryan

EMERALD CITY
    Mini-series
    STUDIO: Universal TV
    TEAM: Matthew Arnold (w, ep), Josh Friedman (ep)
    LOGLINE: A modern and dark reimagining of the classic tale of Oz that includes lethal warriors, competing kingdoms, and the infamous wizard as we’ve never seen him before. A headstrong 20-year-old Dorothy Gale is unwittingly sent on a journey that thrusts her into the center of an epic and bloody battle for the control of Oz.

TIN MAN
    Drama
    STUDIO: Universal TV
    TEAM: Ehren Kruger (w, ep), John Glenn (ep), Daniel Bobker (ep), D.J. Caruso (d, ep)
    LOGLINE: Psychological crime thriller set in the near future focuses on a fugitive robot accused of first-degree murder, who may hold the key to the future of human evolution, and the young female public defender forced to fight for his cause.
    CAST: Patrick Heusinger, Shaun Taub, Ryan Yu, Kara Killmer, Kathleen York, Kristen Connolly, Vondie Curtis-Hall

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Re: Network Pilot Watch 2014

Last Man on Earth sounds interesting. All the other characters aliens? women? only shown in flashbacks?

16. Christopher

Re: Network Pilot Watch 2014

A hologram, an evolved cat, and a mechanoid?

17. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Really? :lol: I mean, come on. Seriously? :lol:

No wonder I don't pay much attention to the broadcast channels anymore. Wow. :lol:

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    The iZombie comic book was generally well regarded and the TV adaptation has a good creative team behind it.

19. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Really? The idea, just reading it for the first time, sounds like the most preposterous thing I've ever heard. Well, you never know what might turn out to be a good thing. They once had a show about people with six shooters in outer space that turned out pretty good.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    It's an out there premise to be sure. Shades of Tru Calling, but more macabre and with a structure of solving murders rather than time travelling to prevent them.