Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep it's also the third trailer music. It sounds beautiful. I have a feeling Hans has topped himself again!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But they were excellent Batman movies.

Unrecognizable? Hardly. I've been reading Batman comics since the early 70s (and I've read numerous stories going back to the first appearance of Batman). In fact, I suspect I've read more Batman than you've had hot meals. And I had no trouble at all recognizing the character in Nolan's films.

If it only approximates the least of Nolan's moments in the Batman trilogy, it will be a great film. But that's only if the actual director is up to that task (since Nolan himself is not helming the picture). When I first learned that Zack Snyder was directing, I was unsure about the odds of my liking the film (I thought he did a good job with The Watchmen--among the best comic stories out there--but I wasn't enthused by 300). Learning of Nolan's involvement, though, made me far more confident that I would like Man of Steel. I am looking forward to this more than any other film this summer, save Star Trek into Darkness.

Of course, the above is only my opinion. You need not share it in any way (and clearly you wouldn't). I am not trying to persuade you to change your mind in any way. But I would advise, for your blood pressure, ignoring the upcoming Superman movie. If I had such a visceral disdain for the work of a particular filmmaker (either as a director or a producer), I would simply avoid it altogether (much as I avoid anything by Celine Dion, lest my blood pressure go up too much). What I wouldn't do, again for my own benefit, is constantly dwell on something I dislike and remark about it in places where I'm unlikely to garner any sympathy. That would just feed my frustration even more. Instead, I'd watch something I do like and mellow out.

Just sayin'.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

^ I just do not understand how people give time and attention to things they do not like. There are movies/shows and series I do not like so I do not comment on them.

This movie really looks like a fresh step for Superman. I liked Superman Returns but all I have seen thus far makes me happy that have rebooted the series and given it a new start.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

As long as Superman doesn't have a comically-growly voice that makes it impossible to understand what he's saying, I'm good....

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Indeed. That line could easily be part of a larger exchange between Clark and Jonathan that helps to form Clark's sense of morality as a person with such great power.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

You can hear the regret and discomfort in Jonathan's voice as soon as he says the word.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Have you ever seen someone that works a blue collar job? Those are not "hobo clothes" and to refer to them as such reveals the sheltered life you must lead. The working man version of Clark seen in the trailers is straight from John Byrne's Man of Steel (hmmm, that title sounds familiar). One of the finest versions of the origin story ever told. If you haven't read that and can't see the similarities then I would suggest you know less about Superman than you think.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Frikken awesome!!!!!!! I love the new theme, I hope that's the actual Superman theme.

11. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LENS FLARE! :guffaw:

[​IMG]

12. Admiral_Young

There's been lots of those in the posters thus far...almost like...a certain director was actually directing this movie ;)

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Or like it wasn't particular to one director?

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Referring to him as a hobo was mostly a joke, I get that they're going for some kind of wandering working man or something (which is just as stupid, Clark's a reporter, not a blue collar worker). I like John Byrne's work a lot, but i've read only one issue of his Superman, Man of Steel #2 (which is in the Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told TPB I have). I'm not a huge fan of fat Lex (I guess he was on the Kingpin diet) and I prefer Lex to be atleast something of a mad scientist to go along with the evil buisness man stuff, but it was a decent comic. Still, this isn't a movie thats trying to base itself on a good comic book. Its a Nolan movie ignoring everything about the character to have a generic Nolan hero.

I thought STAS was great. Not as good as BTAS or JL/JLU, but a solid show. That is the superman I want, a good guy who doesn't back down or start brooding when things go wrong.

As for the movies being like the comic Batman, I've never heard of a Batman book where Batman fights crime for about 2 years (fighting exactly 2 villains, one being an idiotic couselour and one being a psyco cosplaying as Joker), retires for 8 years and becomes a hermit, then returns just to defeat a vilainess who doesn't reveal she even exists until its just the right time to sabotage any thoughts that the supposed main villain was the least bit threatening. Then, he retires from what was supposed to be a life long crusade to screw a Catwoman so bad she made Hallie Berry's version no longer the worst catwoman ever. Don't forget having alfred constantly complain about Bruce being batman throughout the book. If that exists, i'd honestly like to read it just because it sounds like the worst Batman comic ever.

I'm not expecting anyone to really agree. It just that seeing so many people practically worship the guy, I figured someone who doesn't think that Nolan is the second coming should comment. I just couldn't stay quiet after reading a bit of the thread. I honestly didn't mean to start a big thing (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't see the possibility).

16. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That track is epic. I think Zimmer has managed to create something that while it may never be as iconic as the classic Superman Theme, carries every bit as much weight and momentum.

This is going to be awesome.

17. Admiral_Young

^^ You get that Clark is finding himself BEFORE he becomes a reporter right? He's figuring out where he belongs in the world and being around people as well...you know the people he will later protect as Superman.

The wondering /journey aspect was most likely taken from Mark Waid's "Superman: Birthright" which is an excellent reimagining of the origin story. There are elements of it that were used from source material.

I don't think anyone here has begrudged your opinion on disliking Nolan or being critical of Nolan.

My problem with your comments has been the fact that you've basically totally ignored and dismissed Zack Snyder in order to support your viewpoint on Nolan. Your entire stance from the start has been...oh because Nolan "ruined" your own personal view of Batman, that he's going to do somehow do the same with Superman...when Nolan really hasn't been hands on with the film (you can choose to believe that or not and I think you've chosen to not believe it so whatever). Others have pointed out as well as I have to you numerous times that Christopher Nolan did not direct this film. Zack Snyder did.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Clark Kent wasn't born a reporter. He didn't pop out of his escape pod and just start working for the newspaper as an infant. He's allowed to do other things with his life.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, I have to ask why people think the director has so much influence, when almost every single other person in charge of the movie is Nolan or one of his cronies. Snyder means less than nothing at this point, Nolan has been in charge of writing and producing it. It wouldn't matter if Steven Spielberg were directing it, its a Nolan movie. One man is not going to beat out Nolan and his legion of minions. Snyder isn't going to be a factor, at all. I truley wish he was, because he worked on Watchmen and it turned out to be watchable (and I hate the Watchmen comic, its easily one of the worst comics I ever read, I couldn't even finish it, and I tried twice). If nolan was just the producer, or just the writer, and none of his minions were working on the film, I'd say Snyder would have a achance at making the movie watchable. But, even if he had a different style/different ideas than Nolan, he's more outmatched and outnumbered than the Spartans in 300.

High school-college-reporter has been Superman's path in every incarnation I've read, or something close to that. Wandering around as a random guy doing manual labor is just stupid. Its just adding extra angst into the movie (there is no way he's just having a day job or something, an event probably happened and he went away to dissappear and brood for awhile).

20. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

One of the reasons I am looking forward to this movie, other than the fact that Superman is one of my favorite characters, is that this doesn't look or feel like and Nolan movie to me!