AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

I'll actually agree with you. I enjoy going to films like this to turn off my brain and enjoy it. Yet, I by the same token I also can;'t get so worked about the film as you guys can before it comes out. And I still think that, taken in context with every other genre picture coming out this year, there's nothing fresh.. nothing truly "interesting" (I don't mean that from the point of view of having interest in seeing it, but there's nothing inherently interesting about the ideas of many of the films coming out)

2. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been looking forward to this since Iron Man came out, and I'm not even much of a comic book reader. I'm looking forward to seeing Whedon's take on the characters, despite the fact that being Whedon he can't resist at least one scene where a tiny woman beats the crap out of multiple muscular men as if they were made of feathers.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a comics fan.
    I'm a big Marvel fan, first character I ever saw was Spider-man.
    I'm a big Joss fan.

I too have been looking forward to this since Iron Man.
    As Trekker notes it's easy enough to understand the beats of the film. It's watching the symphony unfold for it's crescendo that's been building for 5 years that I'm going to relish.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Exactly.

5. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was pretty cool scene, IMHO.
    I think 'ScarJo' is perfect for the role. She looks for the part and seems enthusiastic about doing it. Plus the boob jiggle is always nice to see, in this era of so many fake boobies.
    I still hope that we will see a Black Widow film in the future.
    Maybe Joss Whedon could do that film also:techman:

6. Admiral_Young

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I did too, briefly, but it doesn't quit fit the more humurous theme of the scene. Either way, perfect scene and Coulson was awesome as usual.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Or the studio PG-13 cash grab.

9. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

And? Would you be happier if she were a female body builder with more muscles than Lou Ferrigno or Arnold back in their competition days? How about if she were a little 5-foot-nothing 60 year old Chinese man?

Raw strength isn't everything.

This looks very fresh to me. It's very different in style than EMH, for example.

Ok, two things here:

1) what were you expecting...Avatar? Forbidden Planet? 2001? It's a comic-book superhero movie. There never was any intention of making "art"

2) Accusing Joss Whedon of not displaying "craftsmanship" is a laughable notion. Joss is a very careful craftsman, esp at the script stage. The BW scene is classic Joss juxtaposition of one extreme (heavy action of Widow kicking butt) with another (Coleson waiting patiently while she does so).

And of course we can't overlook Joss' signature dialogue. The new clip and the previous ones have yielded 3 gems in particular that I am hopeful make the final edit: "We may not be able to protect the world, but you can be damn sure we're gonna avenge it!", the "I have an army..." "We have a Hulk." exchange, and now "Let's do a headcount: two master assassins, one super-soldier, and one demigod and you've managed to piss all of us off..."

That new one had me cheering, just in clip form.

See above. This ain't high art, and Joss isn't Ansel Adams. Nor does he try to be.
    A point of view that makes little sense.

This film is gonna rock!
    See above again.

Nolan...he's another story... Mr. "It's NOT a superhero movie"...talk about bad directing choices...

Yes, Chris...it IS a superhero movie...and there's nothing to be ashamed of about it.

Then again, none of the LA Batman movies have really done well by him. Give me the Timm-verse Batman over any of the others. The only decent thing the LA versions gave us was Nicholson's Joker.

Something that happens a lot in comic books...coincidence?;)

I'd go see it in a heartbeat. I was really looking forward to seeing what he was going to do with Wonder Woman...until the moron suits at Universal pulled it...

10. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

edit

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Actually I wouldn't mind a SHIELD movie, either following on after the film or delving a little into the pasts of Fury, Coulson, BW etc

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Indeed, hell I love the looks BW gives the bad guy one that says pretty much, "Ugh. My boss. :rolleyes:" and one that says, "Can you take this from me?"

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds appropriately big and bombastic, but sadly I don't detect any kind of memorable Avengers theme. :(

It's a shame that there are catchier and more memorable themes on any given episode of DW nowadays, and yet for some reason these huge, big budget superhero movies can't seem to come up with even ONE anymore.

Heh, yeah I'm having a hard time imagining how this movie could look any cooler. It looks fun, it's got lots of kickass action, and there's plenty of witty dialogue. What more were people really expecting from an Avengers movie?

Do you really think a gritty, serious, Dark Knight approach was gonna work for this movie? With these colorful characters??

14. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Captain America has a good one that wasn't on it's release either.

Exactly. I was afraid that Thor and Captain America also would have that problem. The motto of the LA movies generally seems to be "pull it back", "make it 'realer' ". And audience reactions seemed to bear that out initially. The more "comic-booky" films didn't seem to be as well received (F4 and Green Lantern come to mind).

They pulled Thor way back BUT they left enough in to give it the scope it needed. Cap surprised me...I really expected that they would tone Hydra WAY down, but it really came off pretty much canon, "wacky Nazi science" and all.

And it worked. That surprised me.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Help me out here, "LA"?

16. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^Live Action

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

To be fair, I'm not convinced it's the comic bookiness that led to the poor reception for those films. I'm pretty sure it was the god awful scripts.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Fantastic Four wasn't very "comic booky" at all. That was really one of the problems with it.

19. Admiral_Young

@Chem...Sam Jackson has stated a couple of times in interviews that a "Nick Fury: Agent of Shield" film is in development right now, and is supposed to be one of the films in his nine picture deal with Marvel Studios. Joss has also stated that there is supposed to be mega Shield agent cameos throughout "Avengers" as well that he's promised us.

I'm sure that there will be a definitive theme for the "Avengers". As mentioned "Captain America: The First Avenger" had an awesome one that was not included in it's commercial release. I also wouldn't be surprised if Silvestri attempted to "weave" a theme throughout the score.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Excellent :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.