MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Horrible blown call at 2nd and the tigers are gifted two runs by the Outfield Fly crew. Terrible.

2. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Before the series started, I made my calls to some friends: Tigers over Yankees, Giants over Cardinals.

With everything that's happened and the insane amount of momentum the Tigers have, especially with Verlander starting on Tuesday, I'm now calling a 4-game sweep of the Yankees. Even with Sabathia going in game 4, I just don't see the Yankees taking even a single game in Detroit, with their staggeringly poor offense and all the bad luck they've had heaped on top of that.

Still calling the Giants in the NLCS despite the game 1 loss, though I could easily see it going all seven games - neither team really has a clear overall advantage there.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Holy balls, I knew this year's free agent class was pretty weak, but I didn't realize how pants-on-head stupidly terrible it is.

The biggest name on the list is Greinke, who's a well-known headcase, and from there it's a pretty steep drop to Dan fuckin' Haren in terms of pitching. The second basemen are hilariously awful, too. :lol:

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

A quote, purportedly from Jim Leyland of all people:

"I find no pleasure at all that Derek Jeter is not playing this series. The whole nation wanted him to play, and that's a sad thing."

Ordinarily I'd dismiss this as a rumor but it came to me via my Twitter account (I follow @Yankees) so I can only assume he actually said this.

5. Starbreaker

Why would the Yankees media spread rumors?

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Apparently Leyland said it during the pregame or something. I've been trying to Google it.

Although, you're right...an official team Twitter feed wouldn't be saying these things if they weren't true. And, despite his pronounced resemblance to Scorpius, Leyland has always been a decent guy.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

The way Verlander is throwing tonight, there is every possibility the Yankees will go a third straight game without scoring a run.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

^ sadly, you're right, the Yanks have apparently forgotten how to fucking HIT :brickwall: :mad: Which is weird since they did well against Baltimore, but now, they fold? :confused:

oh well. Trying not to panic. At least we got CC the next game. Maybe we can do to Detroit what Boston did to us in '04

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

CC is a beast and just the guy you need to stop the bleeding. Problem is that the Tigers are coming back with probably their second best starter in Scherzer

10. Saito S

So much for the shutout!

This is great stuff. My team isn't even in it anymore and I've been on the edge of my seat during every game of this ALCS. :lol:

Still hoping for Verlander and the Tigers to pull it out, but it's certainly not a sure thing anymore...

11. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Glad they were able to pull it off in the end and win the game 2-1 against the Yanks though.

Proud of them so far, hoping they can keep the momentum going :). Go Tigers!

12. Saito S

Quite a nail-biter in the end! :eek: I have to say, purely in terms of the quality of the games being played and the levels of hype, this may be the best postseason I've ever seen. Between all the division series going 5 games, to all the incredibly unlikely comebacks, it's been fun to watch. Glad I sprung to get cable back in time to see most of it!

Too bad my A's didn't get farther, but you can't say they didn't give it a good shot. I also would have preferred to see the Oriels over the Yankees, and the Nationals over the Cardinals, just for more variety in WS participants, but I really can't argue with how much I've been enjoying these games regardless. From here, I'm hoping for a Tigers/Giants world series.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Laugh now, Tigers fans. We ain't dead yet! And Jeter's coming back next year.

14. Starbreaker

What do you mean you're not dead yet. If Yankees win four in a row against the Tigers, I'll become a frickin Yankees fan and wear a Jeter shirt around all day.

15. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea. You guys aren't. The Yankees are a good team. Hoping the Tigers give them their all in Game 4. It should be interesting.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Remember the 2004 ALCS?

17. Starbreaker

Yeah, the Yankees choked that year too. Good times.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ My POINT is, if the Red Sox could win 4 in a row then, the Yankees can do it now.

Cowboy Up, motherfuckers!

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That Red Sox team had the benefit of not having a lunatic of a manager batting Brett Gardner at leadoff and playing Eduardo Nunez at short over Alex fuckin' Rodriguez. [​IMG]

Although your defiance is kind of amusing. :lol: I'm not saying a historic collapse isn't possible, given the way that everything has fallen into their laps (White Sox collapsing, two very favorable playoff matchups), but it isn't terribly likely, especially since if it goes to 7 games, the Yankees have to face Verlander again.

The only way they can win four straight games against Detroit right now is if they A) stop sucking out loud, in general and B) figure out how to hit dingers again, given that they could very conceivably be ahead (or at least have a win) if any one of A-Rod, Swisher, Cano, or Granderson were hitting at an average level right now.

20. Starbreaker

Oh, I know what your point was. I just turned it around! :devil: