The Official Deleted/Alternate Material Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainBearclaw, Jul 19, 2013.

1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I'll have to take a look for it. Pretty sure it is in the office somewhere, but if you've seen THE ODD COUPLE and remember Oscar's bedroom ...

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

What are you referring to here?

The TVH prologue?

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I think the version I sent to you may have been even worse than the garbled YouTube quality -- if that's even possible. I seem to recall a ridiculously prolonged debate over whether Spock's description of Saavik as half-Romulan used the word "admixture" or "odd mixture."

4. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

No, the Showest Wrath of Khan trailer (I was confused also).
    I believe we can be happy with the YouTube version Harvey indicated (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4BjWW5jTw). Old VHS copies usually don't look much better than this.

It would be really 'nice' if someone would be able to get a copy of the full workprint from the UCLA archive, at least the audio... :-)

By the way: in this "trader" page http://workprintsandrarefilms.webs.com/televisionversions.htm it's listed a STAR TREK THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK television version with the following description: "This version is the ABC version which contains an alternate opening and a few alternated scenes."
    I know from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088170/alternateversions) that the ABC version does not have the full WOK initial scene, but what about the "alternated (or alternate?) scenes"?

Maab

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the copy I uploaded years ago! I can't remember where I got it from, but I think someone on here (or possibly another Trek forum) sent it to me.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I suppose the alternate scenes are the same alternate scenes that were used for the DE. But what about the alternate opening?

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Alternate open for SFS is the one that starts with GRISSOM over Genesis, as in script.

8. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

From an interview conducted with De Kelley in 1989. This is from a Star Trek magazine I bought off Ebay. It came out right after movie V and De Kelley discusses some cut scenes in the movie

Just going to quote De's entire response to this because I think what he has to say about his feelings on the cuts are interesting:

9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Oh, I thought we were talking about TWOK!

10. Grant

I need to clarify this.

TMP was advertised in fall of 1982 as 'coming to ABC this season, first time on TV'. It aired May 1983
    They then added the 12 minutes that make up the SLV.

TWOK was advertised in fall 1984 as 'coming to ABC this season, first time on network TV.' It aired Feb 24, 1985.
    They then got Meyer to pick the added 3 1/2 minutes that became the Director's cut.

TSFS was advertised in fall 1987 as 'coming to ABC this season, first time on network TV.

Then came the 1987 NFL players strike and they rushed TSFS and other movies to fill the "Monday Night Football" timeslots on ABC.

They even used the slogan "Star trek 3--NFL zero that week.

But the fact that they rushed TSFS to air months before it normally would have (after the NFL season ended, when they had 'Monday Night at the Movies in that same timeslot.)---
    caused two things to happen...

1. Instead of them asking Paramount for extra footage to fill the 2 and a half hour timeslot--they realized there was no time to pick and re-edit the movie with additional scenes like they did for TMP and TWOK, so.........

2. Instead they butchered the TSFS by cutting OUT 15 minutes of footage to squeeze it into a two hour time slot.

They simply and insanely lopped off the opening kirk & co bridge scene and the first Klingon scene and STARTED the movie with the Grissom!!

I was sickened. I was praying to see 10 or so new minutes of footage and they just chopped whole sections of the movie out because they had no time to logically and carefully edit individual scenes.

So it was NOT a 'alternate' opening--simply the removal of the opening 5 minutes of the movie completely!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  11. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I kind of wish there was an HD versions of the alternate ending from Nemesis to use in my fan edit of the film as I really liked that ending better than the one we got.

12. Grant

I am just grateful that we GOT 11 deleted scenes from Nemesis and wish we had deleted scenes sections from TWOK TSFS, TUC, TVH and FC.

13. Grant

No matter what excuse Bennett used it was $.

That effect of the device removing the projectile from the soldiers leg would have been a complicated, expensive optical in 1989 and the FX team was behind, inexperienced and incompetant. They weren't going to worry about that little scene when the FX for the entire movie were in a shambles.

14. Grant

I found it!

The Sept, 28 1987 promo for TSFS on ABC TV

"Star Trek 3--football zero." LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pokCwGBxZjw

Tell me it's not a riot when after the announcer says, "No football tonight." they cut to Kirk---"I'm on my way!" LOL

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Doubtful that there was an optical even needed, anymore than there was for Chekov scooping or beaming dried blood up in TUC. Just a sound effect. I'm sure it was just cut for time, when Bennett tightened Shatner's cut by trimming the opening and the battle scenes way down.

And I'd much prefer seeing the longer versions of those ... when you hear Goldsmith's full score, it definitely hints at something longer during the PTS.

BTW, they farmed out a lot of opticals to the always reliable VCE (a company used for TWOK and TUC as well.) In fact, the one effect I was looking forward to in TFF -- based on the images he'd done for the end of ALTERED STATES -- was Ferren doing a beam-up, but all of the transporter stuff was done by VCE instead.

16. Grant

The script direction says McCoy waves the device over the soldiers leg and the projectile magically exits the wound or something like that---that whole point of the scene was to show the modern method of removing a 'bullet' not just for the audience to "hear' a sound effect.

17. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ It sounds to me that the scene would have been similar in purpose to the scene in Voyage Home when McCoy cures the old ladies kidney issues with the punch line being the guy will be fine in 2 minutes

It sounds like a cute scene that I think they could have done without fancy FX. That being said as it is an unnecessary scene I can see why it was cut.

18. Grant

Of course, it wasn't essential to the movie, but in a movie that is loaded with a lot of pure crap--it actually could have been decent and replaced something that wasn't!

Anyway, perhaps someday we'll get a chance to see for ourselves.

19. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really appreciate all of the info you guys are dishing out. I'm going to very quickly try to turn this thread into a blog.

20. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Well, IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088170/alternateversions) report it differently but I surely trust your memory more:

"An early ABC-TV broadcast had the flashbacks of Spock's Death and the opening scene of Captain Kirk on the Enterprise bridge cut for time constraints. Instead the opening fades in on Spock's tube being loaded for launch and then after the opening credits, it switches straight to the scenes between the freighter and the Klingon ship followed by the Enterprise's arrival at Earth."

However the question remains: aside from the cut scenes are there any alternate scenes on the television version?

As far as I know there is no "Director's Edition" of TSFS, it's identical to the theatrical version.

Maab