Kes and Neelix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Garren, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Garren

Garren Lieutenant Red Shirt

New to Voyager and still watching through it. I really enjoy Kes and Neelix as a couple. I like that neither of them are perfect and Neelix has flaws hidden underneath his bumbling good nature. I really don't get why the writers put so many scenes shipping the idea of Kes and the Doctor even though her relationship is clearly with Neelix. I'd hate to see the two driven apart but if the show is building up to something dramatic then it could be brilliant. Anyone else have these same thoughts watching Voyager the first time? I see around the board that Neelix isn't entirely liked but I love the character. He has his charming moments but then you have episodes where he really shows a tactical side (Initiations) or when he gets powerfully emotional (Jetrel). He's not a perfect character; he has flaws and that makes him more relatable to me. It makes me want to see his relationship work out with Kes even more.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it's any consolation, the Doctor didn't have a penis before season 5.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite part is in season 5 when Kes and Neelix have a baby and need to request a holographic Bolian to keep its facial hair trimmed enough so it can eat.

4. Guy Gardener

Her growth rate... The Ocampan's hair must be gaining an inch in length every day!

It has to be impossible to keep it at a desired/preferred length to effect a "look".

At the end of the day, she must get her clipper out and go to sleep bald, only to wake up 4 hours later with that mushroom on her head blooming.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

That's got to be a record in derails but Kes's ability to maybe turn to energy one day might be the dominant gene. Their baby may have spots but I have a feeling it wouldn't have facial hair.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think what prevented the Neelix/Kes thing from reaching its full potential is that the producers were too cowardly to imply in any way they don't conform to human sexual morals so all we really got from it was Neelix acting annoyingly jealous.

I don't get why you think that each character must have a designated male character to be 'Her relationship'. Or why Kes reaching out and being the first to treat the Doctor like a person is any signal of romantic intention.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

She only misinterpreted his intentions that time she was unconscious and he revived her with a vigorous chest massage.

8. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

The Doctor mentions his penis IIRC in Message In a Bottle and even then he doesn't say WHEN he got it. It could have been as early as during Lifesigns when he has his first romance, unless we count Freya in which case it would be even earlier.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^He probably had one installed when he was created, for hysteria.

10. Guy Gardener

Picardo at a convention I was in the auditorium for says "No body told me I had a penis!? When did I get a penis!?"

It's logical to assume that he made it during his relationship with Danara Pel in season 2, or just after, but yes, Message in a Bottle was the first time it was mentioned, thank you for explaining my own joke to me Kobayashi, it's really quite nice of you.

Oh! Season 4! I really have stopped caring about being accurate.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

For me the problem with Neelix isn't so much that he is flawed so much as he is flawed in an often-irritating direction.

I've heard that Ethan Phillips was under directive from the showrunners to be as annoying as possible. If they had made him less annoying and more clever he would have worked better for me. But seriously they should not have made his entire relationship with Kes in season 2 about him raging out in jealousy whenever she glanced at another guy. If a guy in real life acted like that he'd probably be abusing her too.

12. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that Neelix being annoying made him funny.

Not to mention that the character did have more substance than just being annoying, a goofball or a clown. Just watch "Jetrel"! A fantastic episode which shows that the character had a lot of depth. In fact, his flaws could easily be regarded as a result of the trumatic events in his life.

I could come up with some comments about the Kes/Neelix relationship as well but by doing so, I would probably reveal too much and spoil the whole thing of watching Voyager for Garren so I'll save it until another day.

13. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's sweet how Neelix dotes on Kes. I think they are cute together.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think some of Ethan's best work in the show is "Mortal Coil" and "Jetrel". He could really pull out the character's inner demons when given the chance.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They make an adorable couple! (I would LIKE to think that, if not for that damn warlord thing, Kes and Neelix never would have broken up.)

Sure, Neelix is a tad jealous at times, but never dangerously so. Let's put it this way: I suspect that Kes was his first love, and thus he was unprepared for a relationship and kind of overcompensated at times. Before Kes, he wasn't used to being a boyfriend and didn't know "how" to be one. Fair enough, yes?

16. Janeway’s Girl

Jetrel was an awesome episode! It gave Neelix some depth.

17. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you were Team Edward, too? :devil:

18. Janeway’s Girl

I despise Twilight:barf:

19. Guy Gardener

In the Walking Dead, that should have been the question to determination the character of the people they met before asking them to join or not join their group... "Team Jocob, or Team Edward?"

The only acceptable answer is of course: "Go fuck yourself."

20. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

I think Kes really has had enough of Neelix when the warlord invaded her body. When the warlord broke up with Neelix, it made her realize that that's what she wanted to do. She never tried to get back with Neelix after that.