Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 21, 2012.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I agree. That was one of the worst episodes yet, IMHO.

I wasn't big on the butterfly one, either.

I'm hoping they pull out of this and get back to the good stuff.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got around to this week's episode. I rather enjoyed it, thought it was above average for new-era Futurama. Since he's getting no love, I'll come right out and say it, Roberto is awesome. He'll stab the shit out of you.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Roberto. I would have liked to see him keep his new body.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Roberto will be back as a vengeful ghost robot.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

But with which body?!

6. Theodore Jay Miller

Theodore Jay Miller Commodore Newbie

One little detail I liked. The guy selling Hermes all the upgrades appeared way back in the first season, trying to sell Fry gills and z-ray eyes.

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Yes.. gills... then you don't need lungs anymore, is right!?? :lol:

8. The Nth Doctor

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who recognized him.

Granted, I think I only recognized him because I've been busy rewatching the entirety of the show recently.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize that was him.

10. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Fun On A Bun

Not as gross as anticipated. It was okay. Had its moments, but I suspect many of us will be annoyed by the mispronounciation of "neanderthal".

Wooly mammoths are badass...how'd such a tough animal go extinct.

The giant sloth joke...so obvious. :)

Which Planet Express character hasn't led an army against civilization? I'm sure they'll get to them soon. "Scruffy's gonna do a regime change."

11. The Nth Doctor

Decent episode with a sweet ending. I love the ever-developing relationship between Fry and Leela. I also enjoyed The Flintstones reference.

I'm not bothered by this. Some words are bound to be mangled after a 1000 years. Just looke at some Latin words. Hell, the whole English language should be vastly differently. *shrug*

This needs to happen.

12. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Note that Fry lost all his 20th century clothes, including his lucky pants.

But I bet he's wearing copies of the same clothes next episode.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not bad. The Fry-Leela stuff was rather sweet, especially the ending.

It's nowhere near that old. The term was coined in 1864 after a variant spelling of Neandertal, the German name for the Neander Valley where their remains were first identified. And the "-thal" spelling was an archaic variant even at the time. It's always been pronounced "-tal" for as long as it's been used as a name for that subspecies.

I was more bothered by the outdated assumptions about Neanderthals here. It's now believed that they were a lot smarter and more sophisticated than we used to think, perhaps on a par with us or even more so in certain ways. And genetic studies have proven that they did interbreed with us -- indeed, it's possible they never really died out, just blended so thoroughly with H. sapiens that they merged into a single population.

Also it seemed odd that these Neanderthals who'd been cut off from human civilization for 30,000 years spoke English.

14. The Nth Doctor

I meant 1000 years from the show's perspective. I don't care if the voice actors mess it up.

15. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I finally got around to seeing the robot Hermes ep (I'd have watched the new one too, but I had to get up for work this morning :p). It was kind of hit or miss, but I would like a robotic body like the one Hermes got. :D

16. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Zoidberg is, by far and away, my favourite Futurama character. I just love him so much.

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Here are a couple of fun images I recently found around the Interwebs. :D Not sure who deserves credit for the first one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Wow, the X-Men haven't looked that good in years. :rommie:

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are great.

20. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally got around to watching some Futurama episodes.

- Six Million Dollar Mon
    A little predictable, but still a great episode. Hermes really loses himself adding robot parts to 'improve' himself, even at the risk of losing everything. Zoidberg is a good friend, better than Hermes deserves. Another robot dies. First Calculon dies, now Roberto.

- Fun on a Bun
    The age old question is finally answered. Who will win in a fight, cavemen or astronauts? It's cool to see Fry and Leela's relation progress. Fry gets to show off his fighting skills. I like Zap's line, "In the face of overwhelming defeat, let's call it a draw." Classic Zap. Nitpicking here, but couldn't they just resurrect him like in Rebirth?

Over-analysis of Futurama episodes

Hermes turning into a robot can represent multiple things. In the episode, he changes from human, to cyborg, and finally to robot. As Hermes gets more and more robot parts, he loses his humanity. As human society becomes more advance, we lose touch with nature. Cyborg Hermes say he is still human because he still has a human brain, and later goes out to replace it with a robot one. Sounds like the Terminator and the Matrix films. When robots, machines, or computer AI think for us, that's when we become too dependent on machines. And like that episode and those movies, we'll be in big trouble.

But it also can be a message about cosmetic surgery. I'm not talking about reconstructive surgery, but cosmetic surgery to look younger or more attractive. Botox, nose jobs, breast implants, etc. All these changes are supposed to 'improve' a person. A little may not be harmful, but too much, it is very harmful. We've seen celebrities and normal people with too much surgery. Some of them look terrible. It’s the same with Hermes. A chest harpoon is fairly invisible. Soon, he doesn't even look like himself or even human.

In Fun on a Bun, it's old vs new. Because it's new, it's automatically better. Some will think the new Oktoberfest is better as well as people in more advance societies are better, but that's not the case. While lots of new stuff is better, sometimes the older or classic is better. At the end, the neantherthals win the fight and people enjoy the 20th century Oktoberfest. Also, like previous Futurama episodes, cultures and customs change over thousands of years just like real life.

These are fun. Let's do more.

Remember the Thief of Baghead. Langdon Cobb's bag over his head represents a mask. When we see actors on screen, we don't see real them. We see the character they play. How they act are, for the most part, scripted. Cobb feeding off of admiration is really celebrities' careers depend of fans liking them. Bender trying to take a picture of Cobb's face is really the paparazzi trying to take a picture of what celebrities really are in normal lives. Disregarding personal privacy. The lifeforce being sucked out is just regular people losing a bit of our souls when we violate other people's privacy. Okay, I'll stop now for now.