Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 shown..

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DumbDumb2007, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

Re: Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 sho

We already got to see that in "First Contact." Why rehash what ILM already did?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also new background music would have to be added if any brand new scenes were composed, and that might be a problem.

3. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I concur. This is a very good idea.

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

That's fanboy talk. It would do nothing to advance the plot other than to show how powerful the Borg are with Picard's knowledge, which we already know.

5. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We got to see about 10 seconds. DS9 showed far more space battle than FC ever did.

6. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. Just leave as is. The scenes would be extraneous and serve only to diminish the effect of seeing the broken fleet.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't need to see Wolf 359, but I think it would be fucking sweet (ya know, in a fanboy way) if somebody put together a separate, short video of a huge Borg battle.

I'm much more interested in an extended version of the "First Contact" battle than Wolf 359. BOBW needs to stay the way it is for dramatic effect.

8. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

I like this idea. :thumbsup:

I'd stick with not adding an extraneous scene to BOBW simply because "it would be teh kewlest!!11!!". As was pointed out earlier, all actually showing the Battle of Wolf 359 does is reinforce how freaking powerful the Borg are. Making the ship hulks in the graveyard scene look more damaged and realistic works much better.

9. GalaxyX

^^^ which is why you non fanboy "realistic" types should stay with your regular version of TNG, and let Paramount give us fanwankers our fanwank material LOL

10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I agree. One reason that ep. was so powerful was because of the graveyard scene WITHOUT a battle.

11. Dancing Doctor

You can fanwank to your own material, then. There's no need to put in a new scene simply because it would be awesome. The Enterprise wasn't present at Wolf 359 anyway. I can be a fanperson at times, but this is just completely unnecessary. It wasn't in it before, and we all managed to get through without too much difficulty.

12. GalaxyX

^^^^^ Right.

13. Dancing Doctor

Besides, the Hitchcockian approach to the Battle of Wolf 359 is excellent. Why not allow our imaginations to create it for us, using what little has been shown?

14. Gkar

Gkar Lieutenant Red Shirt

How about just do a Wolf 359 mini movie?
    And it could be set in the style of that tv show 24. Admiral Jack Bauer has only 24 hours to save Earth from ...

the BORG!!!

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Are you saying 'airable in HD' because they protected the wider aspect ratio while shooting? Cuz they didn't abandon film and switch to hd till the last year it was on.

By way of comparison, QUANTUM LEAP started protecting (and framing) so that the show could be matted widescreen and not lose anything in its third or fourth season, many years back. I thought nearly all TV shows started keeping that in mind in the mid 90s.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

You know for a long time I wished that we would have got to see the Battle of Wolf 359. It was supposed to be this huge horrific battle where the Federation was nearly brought to its knees against an enemy they could narrowly contain. The more I think about it though the more I'm glad that we've only seen snips of it and not the actual combat. What we have in Emissary is more than enough because anything else would lessen what I imagine it to have been like.

17. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're mixing up two different things, HD and widescreen.

They're not the same thing.

You can have widescreen that's Standard Def, and High Def that's not widescreen.

Enterprise was done in widescreen AND high def all along.

The switch to video taping on Enterprise did nothing to change the picture quality.

You can get High Def recordings off films too, not just video tape, as what was done with TOS proves.

Enterprise was running in HD all along, even when it was being filmed.

It was also being presented in widescreen, which analog TV stations ran as letterboxed.

One exception to this was, I understand, in England, where ENTERPRISE was run in 4x3/12x9 rather than 16x9 (widescreen).

They ran it with the sides chopped off.

My local UPN affiliate actually did that with one episode during the final season. When they did the second showing of that episode later in the week, it was back to widescreen/letterbox.

I have no idea what they did the night it ran 4x3, and apparently nobody at the station did either that night. :D

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In ten years, they'll be laughing at the cgi and sfx we have today.

Mutton in lambs clothing.

19. Sisu

Sisu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What if it is mutton dressed as mutton?

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Funny thing is, fx from 10 years back will for the most part look better than today's stuff 10 years from now. Maybe audiences of 2017 will wonder why we de-evolved from 4k imagery (35mm film) to 2k imagery instead of just waiting for the tech to get to the point where we could retain image quality w/o having to render out cartoonish looking stuff a good deal of the time.

I sure hope they'll wonder why so many early 21st century movies look almost monochrome (the large number that look like they were photographed through a pair of polaroid sunglasses, especially.) I still can't figure that out.