Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

I spotted the presence of those FJ blueprints a couple of years back, that turntable on the shuttlebay is a dead giveaway! Sorry, I should have mentioned it really...

If you're keeping it though, it does raise the question of how to integrate the diagram with the refit shape.

2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I say keep it what was on screen and on set. Especially the FJ stuff. Ok, especially the Phase II stuff as well. :)

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

It's ok. I also noticed years ago that the FJ blueprints were used there for the deck diagrams.

Honestly, I like the idea of keeping these inconsistencies intact. It's a tough one though, having to decide. Why aren't the morals on this clearer? ;)

4. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd keep the originals. Rationale: Info graphics aren't always blueprint accurate (I remember watching a History/Science channel show on the QM2 and in the Fire System diagram the ship was depicted as tall as it was long.)

5. Tallguy

I'm funny - I was annoyed in TNG's The Naked Now when they showed the movie Enterprise when they were talking about The Naked Time.

Now I'm just as annoyed that they fixed it on the blu rays.

6. Donny

In my mind, I was rationalizing it that way. Let's say, in-universe, whoever made the graphics for the computer programs in-use on the bridge display monitors based the graphics on an earlier refit concept that was in development at one point (much like the case in the real-world). When the design was changed to what it eventually became, they kept the graphics the way they were.

Honestly, it makes no sense fictionally, since there was plenty of time and money wasn't an issue. But whatever. I'm sticking to what was seen on-screen. As soon as I did find out that the Phase II graphics were indeed used on set, I immediately made changes to reflect the discovery, without thinking twice.

7. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I would encourage you to keep the original Phase II graphics, as on the set.

My reason is for for the sake of authenticity, but, second, for the fact they they just look better. The simpler lines read better at a distance. The actual refit images are quite busy and I think the level of detail would not improve the look of the set.

--Alex

8. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd recommend keeping the original Phase II graphics as seen as well. "In-universe" you would be consistent with TOS which used graphics of previous designs that didn't look like the ship was at present.

9. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to derail this topic, but I just wanted to ask, is there a good reservoir of shots of the bridge when it was being built for Phase II? I've only ever seen one or two shots of it when it was in early construction.

10. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

No photos, but I did find this while I was searching. A surprisingly good extrapolation from the concept art and the TMP bridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKfMRUEPskM

11. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Lieutenant, why aren't those displays accurate?"
    "Sir?"
    "They clearly do not depict this vessel."
    "Its mis-information required by the DSS, sir."
    "The DSS?"
    "Department of Starship Security. They're worried about Klingon spies."
    "Department of what?"
    "They're the reason you have to take your shoes off when you use the transporter, now."
    "I shoulda stayed retired."

12. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

See, if you're going to correct those graphics, then you should also correct the display screens showing pages from the Franz Joseph books. And then there's the displays that look like they were cooked up on someone's Apple II (like this one). So it's probably just easier to keep with the incorrect graphics that were used in the film, since that's what you have oodles of reference material for.

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind the Apple II, but could we at least have had graphics that were designed to fit into a circular display? Round screens are silly enough at the best of times, but cramming a square bar chart onto one really shows up the deficiencies of such a design.

14. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That bugged me too. But I suppose they can wave their hand in the air and scroll/pan left and right (or zoom in and out) :D

15. Tallguy

Well that was Okuda's whole reason for his ST IV designs, wasn't it?

16. Donny

By the way, guys...check this out if you haven't already. It's some of the TMP Displays on a TRS-80. Found it a couple weeks ago: http://youtu.be/I0a86rWE5cc?list=LL1_C3Um-t8SBl7a8o99LV6w

This is sound reasoning. The decision is final: sticking with what was on set.

17. Tallguy

There was just something that made me think those weren't Apple ][s. That is terrific. I mean really a wondrous thing. I love stuff like this.

"Bless you, Scotty" is at about 2:10. Man, they were clever at re-using TMP assets for TWOK.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good call.

19. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why can't any one try to talk about the older star ship from the tv show from 1966?, it sure be real nice to talk about the in side of the old
    Ncc 1701 of each deck of this star ship and not: a,b,c,d,e.
    I am talking about the first star ship that Kirk took over from cap pike.
    The show was on TV from 1966 to1968.

20. Tallguy

You mean the first 30+ pages of this thread?