STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

STID brought in $8M domestic on first Monday, $0.5M more than STAR TREK in 09. - Dom Gross $91.7M (v $86.7M for ST2009)

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek was released on a Friday, though, so it's not quite an apples to apples comparison in terms of the number of days in release and the gross to date.

3. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

thanks so much for that list!

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Insurrection cost 70m?!?!?! Even the CGI looked crap in that movie....

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The budget numbers on that list are somewhat questionable.

The INS number looks close to right, though. 58 mil, brought up to 65 or 68 through reshoots was my understanding.

Mike Minor was pretty specific about TWOK costing 13 mil, not 12, because they actually spent nearly a million on overtime by not allocating the proper stage space and then having the reshoot.

Winter has admitted at least a couple times that TFF cost 33, but it ain't something anybody wants to brag about.

TUC was greenlit at 27, but approved overages as the show went on pushed it to 30, confirmed specifically by producer Jaffe a month after the film came out.

I thought NEM was also in the 68-70 range, but don't have any specifics on that because I didn't really ever care enough to ask or really study up on it.

If ANYBODY has a real budget breakdown on TMP, I imagine there are about a million of us who would just love to see it. Except for the sets, I've never seen anything on paper about what cost what on TMP, and while some of the 45 mil budget is just costs from earlier tries, I don't know that 35 is a really accurate number either ... could be off by 5 mil one way or the other, especially since nobody seems to know how much it cost to build and wire the bridge for phase 2.

As for the revenues listed ... every place you looked in 1982 they said TMP made 175 mil worldwide. And that is back when Paramount was HIDING profits to avoid paying out net percentages. A few years later, after Shatner tried to audit them, the studio found TREK was making a profit ... but it seems like the revenue number got drastically downgraded shortly thereafter.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^What TWOK reshoot?

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Insurrection cost 30M more than FC, but it looks like complete shit next it.

Still pretty sad they had a two parter worthy episode script for the most expensive TNG film.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

They reshot the Kirk David fight along with some of the Kirk/Marcus exchange before she takes him out to the cave, and they reshot the explosion when the RELIANT torp seems to hit the bridge. When I said reshoot I wasn't really thinking of those things, but rather the embellishment shoot of Golden Gate Park for the ending.

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Same cinematographer, same production designer, same director ... only significant credit change on the tech end of things has to do with VFX vendors ... are you saying the movie looks like shit just because some of the VFX are bad? (just curious, as I don't like either of them much.)

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

While looking through the Nick Meyer papers at the University of Iowa I photocopied a June 11, 1990 memo from Ralph Winter to Teddy Zee which lists several production budget numbers of interest. (Some of this info also comes from an undated memo comparing the costs of several of the features, found in the same collection).

TWOK -- $13 million (approved budget was $11 million)
    TSFS -- $16,766,830 (approved budget was $16 million)
    TVH -- $22,479,687 (approved budget was $23 million)
    TFF -- $32,030,271 (approved budget was $31.25 million)

I also have a production budget for TUC (dated April 12, 1990, just before photography commenced) which lists the approved budget at $29,157,511 (though it is plastered with a note indicating that figure doesn't include $1.1 million in overhead costs).

11. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Some of the FX looked good, but the bad guy energy ship or whatever looked so shit. I can kinda see where the money went, it was just a waste of money. Imagine the Battle of Earth we would've got if FC had that budget :drool:

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Filmation's TAS is what got me into ST:TMP.

A huge missed opportunity when Wesley Crusher left the Enterprise-D for a series featuring an animated Starfleet Academy. If it hung around long enough, as many popular animated series do these days, they could have added Nog to its voice cast. Berman had already nixed an animated Wesley spin-off, postulated by Susan Sackett and TAS's "John Culver" (Fred Bronson), as "diluting the franchise".

A "Titan" animated series with Riker and Troi might have salvaged a young audience despite the failure of "Nemesis".

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Star Wars, wisely, kept new product in the public eye during the ten year gap between Revenge of the Sith, and Episode VII. In the form of the Clone Wars cartoon.

Star Trek needs to do the same. Another intelligently written TAS (the animation may not have been great in the Filmation series, but the stories were actually quite good. I proudly have TAS in my Trek DVD collection alongside the other tv series and movies) to get the kids interested in the franchise. Hire the new movie cast to do the voices.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clone Wars is fantastic, if we got animated Star Trek of that caliber of writing and visuals it would be very cool.

15. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, though I hope we will get some clarity on the series being cannon or not... As much as I love TAS, I hate the whole 'cannon-not cannon' discussion (started by GR I guess).

16. teacake

Is the series actually a fact? As in they are going to make it for sure?

And I totally agree about the canon. I know many don't care one way or another nowadays but I still do. TELL US. I'm fine with it all being AU though.

17. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    TWOK was $13m? :eek:

Bargain.

INS definitely not.

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I have TAS right there on my shelf next to TOS, TNG, et al. It was produced, filmed, and aired. It's onscreen. It's canon, as far as I'm concerned.

A lot of the episodes were written by TOS veterans. I don't know when Roddenberry decided to turn his back on it.

19. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

GR turned his back on STV as well, but that film is considered to be canon, so I've always wondered why the same can't be done regarding TAS.

20. teacake

I know! And then these lovelies could so totally be real and JJ might even use them in the next film!

[​IMG]