Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

58.6%
  2. Above Average

32.9%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

1.4%
  1. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted excellent. Probably one of the best of th new season so far. Ben flipping out was the highpoint for me. I'd probably do the same if people were talking about me as if I were the son of Satan and dispite me trying to help them.

I have a question and I'm surprised that no one has asked it. How is Locke going to "die"? Here's my take. Locke has been through the ringer since landing on the island physically and mentally. I have a feeling that once he leave's the island, losing the ability to walk will be the least of his concerns. I think that all that strain and abuse his body and mind has endured on the island, coupled with the responsibility of getting the band back together will simply shut his body down without the healing properties of the island. I'm kind of out of practice with the whole "theory" thing. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

2. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Was I the only one cheering when Lostzilla starting pounding the life out of the French asshole?

I was not a fan of Charlotte. Her and Miles seem to have no purpose on this show except to give Farraday someone to talk to.

I'm glad to see the transformation of the Sawyer character. He's gone from complete asshole to trying to save Locke from being buried alive. Also am the only one who senses he is being set up with Juliet?

3. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Thats true... I did comment on a previous ep thread that Faraday would need to make himself known to them to go unnoticed. That coupled with Charlotte saying she remembered him makes me double back on what I said above.

Thinking about it - I assumed the time shifts wouldn't stop out of an assumption that Eloise's calculations meant a convergence of timelines and the idea that this would only stop when everyone got to the Island - as if it doesn't, with John fixing it and leaving... problem solved.

Long winded way of saying I'm assuming a lot :lol:

4. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm a little confused on that, so did John fix the problem or does everyone still need to come back?

5. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Christian told Locke that those people have to come back *IN ADDITION TO* his instructions that Locke had to "bump the wheel" as it was off of its axis.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fantastic episode. I absolutely love this show!

A lot more happened this week along with the usual last ten minutes of pure awesome that each episode generally has. It was great seeing some of Danielle's past, but I hope that's not all we get to see. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing Smokey once again (along with seeing another entrance to its lair) as well as seeing Danielle killing her husband (and even getting a glimpse of why she did) even though we knew it was coming.

The early focus on Jin was wonderful and made me realize how much I really missed the ol' bugger. It's funny how characters like Jin and Sawyer I hated in the first season but now I absolutely love. Speaking of which, I loved their reunion! Brought a tear to my eye. :D

Briefly getting back to Smokey, I can't help but wonder if that temple is the same one the Others were suppose to head to at the end season 3.

I'm continued to be amazed by the incredible journey of John Locke. I loved the conversation he had with Christian/Jacob/whoever the Smurf he is (although I had some newbie sailor in the room who just walked in for that scene and snickered at Christian's refusal to help Locke up...I really wanted to smack that kid :p).

It looks like we're going to get a lot of answers next week! I CAN NOT WAIT!!! :D

7. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I assumed it was, which makes you think, why would it allow them near it. Perhaps because of Richard? Possibility at least...

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first Excellent of the season for me. It was fun and had some very memorable moments, which is really what Lost is all about.

Charlotte dying was unexpected but she annoyed me so much that I'm just glad she's gone. Her character never worked for me at all. I was also a little underwhelmed by the reunion of Desmond with the other three because there was a big deal made about Jack and Desmond saying goodbye forever in the season 4 finale, so it's kinda weird that they meet again and basically just say "s'up?"

As always, this episode's best scenes rest with Locke and Ben. Ben's scene where he stopped the car was great, and the scene where Locke meets Christian in the cave was mesmerising.

It's an excellent by a hair.

9. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

Or the same thing that happened to Danielle's team happened to the Others and they've been brainwashed/enlightened/smokemonstered.

10. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this mirrored my own feelings. I felt like the idea of Charlotte being a child was raised there on the island and was looking for it could have been a good one but I don't think it was realized very effectively. What's even worse is that even though they apparently (because with Time travel it's posible someone could go to her past and save her) killed her off, her death scene wasn't even that great. I mean, are we really supposed to care that much about 2 character we've only know for a little more than a season or so?

Don't get me wrong, I love Faraday but it was a bit much for me to buy or get emotionally involved in.

Yeah, I agree. However he's more or less been one of the good guys since season 3. Still, it is nice to see him continue to grow. Sure hope that means he doesn't die at the end of the show and Kate ends up with Jack. ;)

11. Daosx

Daosx Captain Captain

I scanned some of the comment. Am I the only one that thinks Ben kills Locke when he "pays him a visit" because he realizes he is unwilling to recruit Jin to come back?
    Also, does anyone think that the reason Ben is never afraid to die is because he's seen the future and knows when and how he dies? And that the reason he is so fast and loose with other peoples lives is because he knows that at some point in the future, they are dead, and he cannot make them die sooner or later?

12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Another good reason, that could explain why they are all crazy and want to protect the Island and are willing to kill for it, hrmmm, that would make a lot of sense

13. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

It could be but there are plenty of other structures (ruins) we've seen so there could be more than one temple.

I think he's confident about playing people. Like when he stopped the van and had the "outburst." He was playing them. I just finished watching again and he's definitely gaining more control over them again.

He's awesome!

14. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I posited this some time ago with regard to Ben. I was thinking specifically about the scene between him and Widmore from last season, where Widmore asks if he's come to kill him, and Ben says something like "We both know that's not possible". I was thinking that they both have some info from the future, which indicates that they're both alive at some point in the future, which means that nothing can be done to make them die before that point in the timeline.

15. zengoth

zengoth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nice ep.
    hopefully fixing the wheel stops the time jumping for awhile.
    watching so much trek, i kept flashing on the ep where Sisko gets stuck in time and watches his son age. and like Janeway, temporal stuff gives me a headache (but not a nosebleed).

i think a lot of fans will become more and more polarized as these stories wind up. ABC admits viewership is down, but luckily for us, the show is definitely going to see its full run - so score one for loyal fans. Too many good series dragged on way past their expiration date. Good to see a show that has a fully-realized plan.

I hope (and expect) to see many - if not most - characters again who we've seen bite the dust. The cosmic interconnectivity between all the myriad personalities is one of the joys of the show, imo - call it fate, predestination, karma - what goes around comes around (especially if you have to turn a wheel)

By the way, if there are Jeremy Davies fans out there, be sure to check him out in Million Dollar Hotel and CQ - he definitely takes interesting roles.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't think its a mystery how Locke dies; he hangs himself to convince the others to return. Remember when Jack-Beard reads the article of his death and is so visibly stricken? Locke killed himself to finally "get" to the O6. I'm sure we're going to get a very emotional sad-music scene of Locke getting up on the chair with the rope around his neck.

17. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

[​IMG]

18. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Poor.

Charlotte blurts out all of her backstory and then dies. Sorry, no way, not having that.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I agree the Charlotte angle was weak, although I have a feeling her story (and Miles') were messed up due to the strike last year. Oh, well. Now Charlotte has gone down into the depths of Libby. Hopefully we'll get more of both of their stories along the line.