Arrow - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad, the Biscuit is busy being a near immortal Asgardian over in tge Marcel Movie Universe then. ;)

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Aside from the rushed trial it was a pretty decent episode. Nice twist having Thea be Merlyn's daughter. And Ollie must really care for Felicity. Why else would pump three arrows into Vertigo's chest when one would probably have done the job?

I'm also looking forward to the introduction of Barry Allen in December. I hope the actor doesn't suck!

3. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like they may have intended the trial to be an ongoing subplot through much of the season, and then they changed their minds. Perhaps something else turned into a better storyline, or they realized that a legal focus would be boring? In any case, they wrapped it up in one ep with a rushed cross examination and forced reveal.

I didn't get a clear look at the "evidence" that Laurel showed Moira, but it was on some kind of letterhead. I presume that it wasn't a thank you note from Malcolm to Moira for the evening of hot sex, written on Merlyn Global Group stationary...

Factual evidence to submit in court would be the paternity test showing Thea was Merlyn's child. This would also add some ongoing drama, in that Laurel knows about not just a night of sex, but Thea's true parentage. It means Moira was keeping a deeper, darker secret.

Their father's sordid affairs were apparently well known to the kids so was it worth affecting the court case just because she didn't want her kids to know she had sex 20 years ago? But the paternity of Thea was worth covering up, this is more understandable that Moira would want to keep this secret.

Since Merlyn is officially dead, Thea is actually the heir to his fortune.

I hope the show follows up on these issues and doesn't just sweep them under the rug.

4. LaxScrutiny

Now that I rewatched it, it makes a bit more sense.

Merlyn would have had the paternity test done.... somehow. Presumably years ago, when Thea was born and he did the math, using his mad Ninja skills to get some of Thea's blood. He passed this on to the DA using his secret connection to the office.

His intent may have been twofold: To take revenge on Moira, and to put his heir in charge of Merlyn Global. We'll have to see about that.

The flaw here is, for the paternity test to stand up in court, there has to be proof that the test actually compared Thea's blood to Malcolm's. What I mean, it's not like Malcolm and Moira went into the clinic with Thea and everyone showed their ID.

All Moira really had to do was state that she had never consented to any test for Thea, this could not possibly be a real test, and where did the DA obtain this document? (Moira would be refusing admission.) The onus is now on the DA to prove the test is real, which he cannot do without revealing that Merlyn is alive.

Yes, I remember that. I suppose we could give them a pass because the club had only been open a few weeks/months and there would be limited journal entries to go over.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The show moves a lot of things along pretty quickly. This isn't unusual. If anything, I'd say they took too long. :rommie:

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

problem with your theory about an heir to take over Merlyn Global was he already had one (well until the undertaking brought the Glades crashing down).

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Malcolm being Thea's father partly explains why Moria in an earlier episode said "Somethings must not be known" to protect the children. I assumed because she knows Oliver is the Arrow. Its possible its both though.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  8. LaxScrutiny

I don't see the problem. Malcolm brought the information about Thea forward after Tommy died. So after his intended heir died, he releases information about the second heir. What is the problem? It's actually quite logical.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

How dare a show about a vigilante who shoots people with arrows and hardly ever get hit by a bullet despite being shot at dozens of times, and feature supernatural events, not be realistic when it comes to courtroom scenes?! :p

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^It's a good question. But in practice, willing suspension of disbelief is not a blank check. People can and will invest the mental effort to pretend that Oliver Queen not only never meets a good shot, but never meets any who just gets lucky with his aim. But after they've spent that much effort, they also can and will feel cheated when a drama asks for willing suspension of disbelief for something so mundane as a trial. Things like this are the story equivalent of the "uncanny valley," sufficiently like the real thing that the subtle imperfections are just creepy and off-putting. The fantastic stuff is more like a straight-forward cartoon.

Another way of putting it, it's like shelling out for a car, then suddenly the salesman demands a little extra for car mats. It can feel insulting. Maybe not rational, but it's so.

What also may not be rational is a writer thinking verisimilitude in the small stuff couldn't possibly be important in helping to sell the big stuff.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

New 52 Waller.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

All I know about courtroom procedure is what I see on TV. While in the back of my mind I might be thinking "that can't be right". It doesn't really bother me.

13. Gaith

^ Yeah, I don't mind if the show is stupid, because I don't expect it to honor my intelligence in the first place. All I ask is that it not contradict itself or tie itself into narrative knots beyond all reason, and that it not bore me.

I'm assuming there won't be any fallout from Merlyn dropping that driver. Maybe he hired the car under an alias or something himself, because "newly acquitted arguable mass murderer's driver gets murdered on the way home" wouldn't look too good in the ol' papers. :p

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I saw a new episode advertised on FB for yesterday. Did I miss it, or just wasn't there one this week?

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you program against football on Turkey Day, you lose your corner office.

16. Gaith

Wikipedia = not your enemy. Rather the reverse, in fact. ;)

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, putting this in the right thread now:

Alex Kingston Returning to Starling City

also

http://tvline.com/2013/12/02/arrow-season-2-spoilers-the-flash-pilot

18. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Nice little nod with the chemicals and the lightning storm. haha

The guy who played Barry didn't impress me at first but I slowly warmed up to him and by the 30-minute mark I was sold. He'll make a good Barry Allen/Flash.

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Pretty nice show tonight, good pace and action. The more than human element brought in was nice as was Barrys story about the tornado like blur that killed his mom. Zoom anyone?
    I can see this guy as Barry but for the Flash well I will need to see the costume to really be sold.
    Why is Felicity hotter with glasses than without or is that just me?