They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh that's weird I was just thinking yesterday morning he could be a candidate for director.

Ben Affleck as Batman? ;)

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too smug.

I remember once in the 60s, the shit hit the fan after a botched kidnapping that it was Millionaire Bruce Wayne and Robin who fought the Jokers goons to a standstill... And Robin is saying "Dude, don't be so awesome, let them hit you in the face more or they'll figure out that you're really Batman."

Bruce Wayne is a drunk slob of a slut, & his only other setting is passed out.

How difficult would it be to DIRECT Afleck into being that guy?

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This.

I think you're only half right. I would say that Gone, Baby Gone and The Town are mainstream but not popcorny. I'd say that they're interesting but not arty. They were both mainstream intelligent thrillers of the type that is increasingly rare in big-budget Hollywood now. They weren't Transformers but neither were they Dogme.

He's made it clear that he has no interest in returning to Daredevil so I suspect that he doesn't have any interest in comic book movies and won't do this. But I think his CV is not unlike that of Chris Nolan before he did Batman (Memento and Insomnia under his belt) or Bryan Singer pre-X-Men (Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil).

And he's great with ensembles whole The Town in particular showed that he can handle an action scene. It looks like they want a director in the vein of Nolan. I'm not entirely persuaded that making a JL movie first, without introducing its characters individually is a good idea. But if they're going to do it, they could opt for a much worse director.

5. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do not question the internet fanboy hatred of Ben Affleck. It is a mysterious fundamental force of the universe much like the secret gravity which steals your socks from the dryer. You cannot hope to fathom that force even if you spent your lifetime contemplating strange and charmed quarks, heating coils and the horrible trend begun by the unnamed reporter who coined the term "Bennifer". Some things are simply beyond our ken and must be accepted, which means, in the end, Ben Affleck has your socks. Deal with it.

6. Ben Affleck is a good director. Very good even. The Town and Gone Baby Gone are both really good movies.

I haven't seen any evidence that he can do really big budget action sequences though. But that doesn't mean he can't, after all there was a time where Joss Whedon, Favreau, etc didn't have that experience either.

Justice League needs that larger than life bombastic quality. It seems like such a massive change in style from what he's done previously though.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If anything, given the noirish aspects of his movies to date, I'd forget about Affleck for JLA and be trying to line him up for the Batman reboot.

8. Admiral_Young

I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros does consider him for the Batman reboot if he does end up turning down "Justice League". He has become one of their go to directors lately.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"I'm not interested in doing that movie about DC superheroes. What else ya got?"
    "...We have just the thing."

10. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, no, he should direct the Daredvil reboot. :techman:

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

TDKR hasn't even been out 2 weeks and people are already thinking about the reboot? Where's the respect for Nolan? :p

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

By now, Batman has been "rebooted" several times on television with barely any interval between versions -- The Batman ran simultaneously with Justice League Unlimited, then Batman: The Brave and the Bold came along right after JLU ended, Young Justice overlapped TB&TB, and now we have Beware the Batman coming next year. That's five different incarnations of Batman either overlapping each other or coming close on each other's heels. And that's not counting the multiple versions of Batman seen across the various DC Universe Animated Original Movies on DVD.

I'm sure Nolan understands as well as anyone that Batman is Warner Bros.' biggest and most profitable character (at least now that Harry Potter is over), and they're not going to keep him off movie screens for very long.

13. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're as good as your latest movie. TDKR is fun, but it doesn't make a lick of sense and most people are rather disappointed in it. He missed making a legendary trilogy by one movie so...

(I'm sure he'll cry himself all the way to the bank.)

14. Christopher

^I don't get the sense that most people are disappointed, except in the sense that it's not as great as TDK was. The consensus is that it has serious flaws but is also excellent in a lot of ways.

And I'd say Nolan missed making a legendary trilogy by two movies. TDK is the only really brilliant one that holds together from start to finish. Batman Begins was impressive in a lot of ways, but it was undermined by its badly handled, logically incoherent action scenes, specifically the temple explosion and the whole climactic sequence.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

For writing/directing a JLA movie how about... Kevin Smith?

:)

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Wait, what was wrong with the temple explosion sequence in BB?

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Expect a cameo by him at least

-Starlabs employee?

-Blogger at the daily bugle?

18. Admiral_Young

Snapper Carr ;)

19. Christopher

Step 1: Bruce takes a moral stand by refusing a command to kill a prisoner.

Step 2: To escape that situation, Bruce deliberately throws a hot poker into a munitions dump and causes a series of huge explosions that kill multiple people.

It is, to put it mildly, a mixed message.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daily Planet, surely