Why French?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by mythme, Jul 16, 2013.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard has an English accent for the same reason Vizzini the Sicilian has an American accent. It's funnier that way.

2. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

:techman::techman::techman:

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Aside from the odd occasion it's not like they really made an issue of Picard being French.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Why should anybody in the 24th century speak with an accent even remotely resembling modern accents? Why is it when people who speak English intentionally speak in Klingon the universal translator misses it? Why do all the Klingons in Matter of Honor speak perfect English and why should they have to when Riker has a universal translator? How do aliens know so many human expressions but never inject expressions of their own origin into conversation?

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Patrick could have done a French accent, and they could have written Picard as waxing eloquently on well known French events and historical figures while playing a little accordian. But if they had, I guarantee that right now we'd all be in a thread about Picard being a French stereotype.

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Because he loved Shakespeare, tea, and wasn't great with women. He was a horrible Frenchman but a damned good Brit.

7. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah Im British and I have never meet a Frenchie with a british accent.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've tended to look at Picard as being European, although France is his ancestral home. He's probably spent more of his life in space than in France anyway, IMO.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well given that French is classed as an obsecure language, wouldn't he most likely learn that as a second language and English as a First language. But we could just say that he was an Anglophile.

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Picard wasn't great with women? :wtf:

11. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

When it came to women, he failed upward.

12. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Picard was great with women when he wanted to be. He had lots of women in his past, and most of them probably thought of him as the one that got away. Not unlike Kirk.

13. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Okay, if you feel that the producers were incapable of realistically portraying a starship captain with a cultural heritage other than Anglo-Saxon and the outcome would have inevitably been another Chekov comic relief, I guess it's better they gave him a British background.

To have a French guy say "hello" when he's supposed to say "cheers" ("santé") is embarrassing enough as it is. ;)

Bob

14. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll go with the theory that he was sent to prep and later a public (i.e. very expensive private) boarding school in the UK (some board kids as young as 5). If you spend that much time away from your parents, your accent will reflect that of the majority of the people around you (although to be fair, most second-generation immigrants speak the way the people around them speak, even if the native language of the immigrants is the same as that of their new country; I know a British couple who have retained their Yorkshire accents after 20 years in Sydney, but their teenage son speaks with a typical Aussie accent). It would also explain why Picard knows Shakespeare but not Voltaire and drinks tea rather than coffee, because if he was raised in the UK by British teachers and effective guardians, he might also pick up British cultural preferences and mannerisms.

15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Which episode established that Picard was unfamiliar with Voltaire?

16. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

If Picard were more of a Francophile, and given his interest in human nature, I suspect his enthusiasm for Shakespeare would be replaced by Balzac.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Of course, the bottom line is that actors tend to influence how their characters are written, especially if they have skills that the producers want to showcase. Patrick Stewart was already an acclaimed 20-year veteran of the Royal Shakespeare Company when he was cast as Picard, so there was no way the producers were going to pass up opportunities to put him before a camera doing Shakespeare, no matter what nationality his character was supposed to be. Which is the same reason that Riker played the trombone, Beverly Crusher was a dancer, Voyager's Doctor took up opera, etc.

18. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

...and therefore should have portrayed a "damned good Brit" as it was foreseeable that he would probably suck playing a Frenchman. (Maybe that's why Q referred to him as Mr. "Pickert" in "Tapestry" and not "Picard") ;)

Bob

19. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

:techman: That´s right, Q´s pronounciation of Picard´s name in "Tapestry" is by far the best: "Is there a John-Luck Pickert here?" :guffaw:

20. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I really don't see your point of Steward "sucking" playing a French. Frakes is from Pennsylvania, did he "suck" playing an Alaskan? Dorn grew up in California, did he "suck" playing a Klingon?

All I see is your insistence that Steward should have played Picard as you imagine all French people to be.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013